Thursday 22 July 2010

Rant 582 / Hammer Time

The lag I mentioned 2 posts ago continued into the next day. My ping in the Singapore server on Speedtest.net remained at 55-65ms and my download speed never exceeded 5Mbps (search my previous posts with the search tool to see what my normal speed should be).

Really annoyed me because a full reset of the router and modem improved nothing. So I finally decided to do something I really try to avoid - fiddling with the router's settings.

Changing my channel from Auto to 10 worked somewhat. My ping still remained at 55ms at Speedtest.net but my ping to my router stabilised at below 10ms. My download speed rose to over 6Mbps, which is not that great, but I no longer have horrendous lag when playing.

Still a little concerned with my speed.













Now trying to learn to make maps for Alien Swarm. I have to learn to use Hammer from scratch, which is a bit of a pain. Hammer is the name of the map making tool for the Source Engine. With this I can even make maps for L4D2, I think.

So far, I've just managed to get the feel of placing brushes and entities but I still haven't figured out how to link them, let alone place event triggers.

Brushes are the stuff you cannot move with, like the ground and the walls. Entities are stuff that you can interact with, ranging from eye-candy barrels to weapons to monsters to event triggers.

At the moment I'm at the point where I should be finding out how to link the switches with the doors to make those Tech-only doors. I wonder if I will have the patience to master Hammer.












Here's an article that mentioned a rule that should be followed at all times.

Honor the conventional wisdom that suggests you shouldn't mix business with friendship. In the best of times, money issues can complicate or even ruin a perfectly good relationship.

Don't forget that. Money doesn't mix with a lot of things because most people take money too seriously.












Apparently I'm not the only one to think that the floods were caused by a lack of foresight.

Tessarina resident Tony Mok, 43, the head of training in a multinational company, said of the two year canal upgrading process: “We have to be practical, it takes time. The only thing is that it should have been done five years ago.”

They had the solution; they just didn't come up with it soon enough.

“When we get extraordinary rainfall like we had recently, no amount of engineering can prevent flooding,” he told The Straits Times.

Over at Bukit Timah, there is apparently space for canal upgrading, which will take two years to complete.

So it's impossible to prevent the floods but they're still going to improve the canal anyway. Anyone see the irony there? Either it's a waste of money to appease the public or the MM is exaggerating. I'm inclined to believe the former.













http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/542666

Mastermind's Shark Tank trap has a flaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment