Tuesday 13 July 2010

Rant 577 / And Not A Single Fuck Was Given That Day.

This article totally reminds me of something I read long ago. First of all, I should describe what this article is. It's a joke news report of the response to a change of laws that would allow homosexuals to join the military. One reaction is the fear that this would cause men to have wild gay orgies in the battlefield instead of going out to fight.

Another article I read long ago said the exact same thing except that guy was serious. I wonder if he still thinks the same today.

This is the price of ignorance, I suppose. No matter how well-educated and how smart people are, there are always those who aren't aware of certain relatively common knowledge and hence make fools of themselves.

What I believe is that people should be exposed to certain topics after they reach 18, forcibly if need be. This is the 21st century. We have the Internet, a tool with which we can find out everything that everyone else knows. There is little excuse for not knowing things that lots of people are already aware of, especially if you're posting it online. It's like not looking at both sides before telling everyone that the road is clear.


"Our men need to know they can count on each other in battle, and we can't have them getting distracted by illicit romantic dalliances," said Gen. James T. Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps. "Especially if one's a little blond Adonis farm boy and his buddy's a real tough street kid straight out of Brooklyn. I mean, think about it: What if they lock eyes and abandon their post to start ripping each other's fatigues off, revealing twin sets of glistening washboard abs and at last fulfilling their hidden passions?"

This may be a work of fiction, but know that there are some Singaporean youths out there who actually think like that. If one person can say/write something, ten are thinking it.





A man... in another man.

Brokeback Mountain, coming soon... in an ass near you.













No matter how I see it, I cannot understand why anyone would think that Sarah Palin has a chance in the American elections in 2012. Here's the biggest question I have:

WHY WOULD ANYONE VOTE FOR HER?

Just check out the number of videos of her blunders on Youtube; there are tons of those and more than Bush afaik. Another thing I don't like is how supportive she has been to the oil industry. The two terms served by Bush Jr may have been a sign of stupidity among the Americans, but if Palin even gets into the Presidential Elections it's going to show that their collective idiocy has come to a whole new level.

As an ex-governor, she is definitely not as moronic as many make her out to be. However she has not done much to prove her competence as a politician other than her ability to appear on the front pages seemingly at will. Even when she resigned back then, it was claimed to be a relief to the government because her legal troubles were costing her as much as what she was paid.

Then again, they sometimes put some guy in the elections that the majority would not vote for probably because there isn't anyone else suitable and they were holding an election for the sake of having an election.













One sign I recognize that I'm playing too much of a certain game is when I dream of it. I dreamt of L4D2 last night.

Recently I've been playing pretty well but I'm disappointed at my accuracy. I'm almost always second, usually at around 35-45% despite my enthusiasm for sniping instead of spraying. I don't like being second when I know I'm good at it.

I also don't understand why my accuracy is that low. I can't remember many times when I miss, but then again I don't remember most of the events in the games I play.

Some people are better than me, I admit. They can even do things I am only beginning to master, like stopping Hunters and Jockeys who leap at me. This can be done only by instinct and never by conscious thought. The trick is to right click the moment you see a clear line of sight between you and the Hunter/Jockey. If you melee when it leaps, you're already too late due to the minuscule lag that's calculated in merely milliseconds.




Anyway I've recently seen some videos of L4D2 gameplay on Steam servers and I have to say that it's better over there. I should have bought L4D2 during the recent sale but I didn't come across those videos until recently.

The first reason for it is because some servers on Steam can handle 16 players. On Garena where players host servers on their own computers, their PC hardware and bandwidth almost always limits the max player limit to 8 or less.

Another reason is that it's easier to find modded servers whereas in Garena only a few players have the computer literacy to find and mod them. Even I myself only have 3 mods when I host and I find it troublesome to have to type in several commands every time I host.

If I'm still playing L4D2 the next time they have a sale and L4D3 hasn't been announced yet, I'll probably buy the game.


Some game modes are actually very exciting, even for someone's who's getting numb to most of what vanilla L4D2 has to offer. I've just tried this mode called "Tanks versus Humans" in which the survivors only encounter tanks and no other zombies.

Let me tell you that when you can hear 5 tanks behind you, you will run like hell, you will not look back and you will tremble in fear until you reach the saferoom. That's what happened to me anyway. By the time I reached the saferoom as the first person to do so, I realized my legs were a little unsteady. I was like "HOLY SHIT I JUST OUTRAN 5 FRICKIN TANKS!!" and there they were banging on the door like the mad zombies they were while my team members were far behind, struggling to catch up.

Not a welcoming sight for them at the door since they had to go through them plus the tanks behind them.

Here's a video that's kind of similar, except in the mode I mentioned our HP resets to full bar whenever we managed to kill a tank.



RAAAAARRRR!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRR!!!





But after speaking to my bro, who had bought L4D2 on Steam during the sale, I found out that it's actually better for Singaporeans to play on Garena. According to him, most servers on Steam (Steam is the only way to find truly legit servers and not those in what I consider the grey area) are laggy compared to those hosted on the computers of Garena members, and there are much fewer slots for us to use.

The only thing better for Steam users is that it's easier to update since Garena users have to do it manually and they also have to install the Standalone patch (synonymous with crack) every single time they update their game.

Strange that buying a legit copy does not provide a better gaming experience. This just proves that life is counter-intuitive occasionally. Common sense doesn't always work because it's based on assumptions that can sometimes be wrong.












After watching Star Wars Episode 1 again, I found it to be a worse film than I expected for a franchise this famous. Mostly it's because of Anakin's horrible acting abilities but the rest of it was fine.

Star Wars Episode 2, which I don't remember watching before, plain sucks. Even though I'm only halfway through the movie I'm already inclined to fast forward to the ending, if not skip the rest of it entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment