Saturday 28 February 2009

Rant 313 / Harlots!

So now I've learnt something about playing as a paper hero (aka Intel-based) in DotA. Quite accidentally actually, because I really didn't care whether I was going to die in that round.

What happened was I got ganked. A group of 2-3 enemy heroes appeared suddenly from the forest next to me and started to ass-rape my Necrolyte. It was in the early morning at 6am, so I was a little too tired to be concerned about whether I was going to die. So I spammed my spells on the weakest of my attackers.

Next thing I knew, I killed that guy and severely injured the rest before dying. This was quite abnormal because usually, I'd just try to run AND die. I always die, but the difference was I manage to kill someone and gain some money/exp before that this time. So I noticed that if I don't run when I'm ganked, I may accomplish more than just simply dying.








Afro Samurai is pure gilded crap. Looks interesting, supposed to be cool with all the fast swordfights, but lacks that creativity that the Japanese have. It's mostly just hack and slash, with some weapons thrown in that could have been more than what they were.

The sidekick of Afro was incredibly irritating. His endless rants were supposed to be comedy, but turned out to be annoying noise. His earlier attitude when he first arrived also contradicted his apparent views on Afro's quest later on.

The few sex scenes were completely unnecessary and didn't even involve any of the main cast. There was no nudity throughout the film nor did those scene look artistic. What's the point?!?!

Afro Samurai was fast, but not invulnerable. That's well and good, but couldn't they have given him some tricks, the way Kenshin had? And the kid was totally useless as a plot element. The flashes of his memories did not make me feel sad when his "father" died and therefore, he was redundant. They could have shown some scenes before the fight in which they spent time together, or maybe the guy could have had some flashbacks of what it was like bringing the boy up he was drinking with Afro.

I couldn't stand it anymore when they reached the desert and the noise from the sidekick began again. So I skipped everything and checked the end to confirm my suspicion that Afro was going to fight his father and win. The villains were all killed and the end.

There, I've also spoilt the movie for you without warning. Believe me, if you haven't watched it, you didn't miss anything. I'd rather watch reruns of English-dubbed Samurai X than this film.








So I tested that in another round. Medusa was my buddy in my lane, while Axe and Pudge were being suppressed by our ranged attacks. Suddenly Pudge hooked me from behind the frontlines and succeeded. Turned on Devour and Rot while Axe joined in to the gangbang. I managed to use my healing spell once (didn't have my lvl 6 spell yet) and focused my attack on Axe.

I was killed by Pudge in seconds. A split second later, my final flying crystal attack hit Axe and he died too.

RAWR!

Medusa, who was focusing on Pudge, went on to finish him off.

So my theory was right. As a Necrolyte, there is no point in running most situations, so I might as well just attack before I get killed.







Now that I no longer want a room in the campus hostels, I found myself lucky that my mindset in this has changed. Why? I just checked my ECA Records and saw that I have only 5 points for being in the Main Committee of the NTU Toastmasters Club. Throwing in another 2-3 points for the distance between my home and the campus, it is almost useless to even apply for a hall.

So now I'm in the club only out of interest. I'm not even going to apply for a room anymore.








After reading a little about Auschwitz, I understand better the controversy behind medical studies. Some things are just so hard to understand without hurting the subjects!!

One thing I'm still very curious about is whether the works of Dr Josef Mengele had any impact on modern medical science. He did a lot of atrocious stuff, like sewing twins together to created conjoined twins and injecting stuff into the eyes of his subjects to see if it changes the eye colour.

However, despite the disgust he inspires in me, I wonder if his horrifying deeds result in anything useful at all.

No mention of that was found in Wikipedia, but Wikipedia is known to be a poor source of good information. Plus I'm not surprised if any benefits are being ignored and hidden because he was never arrested and sent to trials for his crimes. His body was exhumed and tested for its identity long after he died, so he really didn't reap what he sowed.

But the main thing I'm interested in is whether his experiments helped anyone. Another case in Auschwitz involved experiments on the effects of freezing and to find ways to stop them. This was particularly important back then because as we all know now, the Germans were defeated in the USSR by the winter.

The results of this research created almost everything we now understand about the effects of extreme cold. Despite the cruelty the prisoners endured, at least these people died for something. I wonder if the subjects of Dr Mengele died for anything.








No idea what's up with my internet connection. It's been so slow lately that even my DotA games have been affected. 196kbps Upload is incredibly slow compared to my usual 2000+kbps. Download is also slower than my usual 3000+kbps rate.

My half-full hard disk may be a factor, but I don't believe it can deteriorate my connection speed this much.

No comments:

Post a Comment