Thursday 26 February 2009

Rant 311 / Affinity For Bullshit

Holy Freaking Cow! Just days after typing Child Safety and You, Onion News produced a video discussing whether video games are adequately preparing our children for future apocalypse! Great minds think alike.

Are Violent Video Games Adequately Preparing Children For The Apocalypse?

In other news,

Spam Crackdown Threatens Koy4Goff's Penis Enlarger, Free iPod Industry









I've been trying out the Skeleton King in DotA for two rounds. Apparently it is supposed to be an easy hero to use, good for noobs. So for the games I played in I used the skill and item order as shown in this guide.

The strategy is to gank as much as I can while my 2-second stuns are still effective. Then buy tanking and mana items till I'm a good tank.

Unfortunately, in the first round the Demon Witch kept sucking my mana while in the other the Nerubian Assassin manaburned me as often as he could. So I couldn't stun nor revive myself. In short I sucked.

This is crazy. The SK is, in fact, very easy to use because he has only 1 skill that needs clicking - the stun. So I need only to keep 1 finger on the T key on my keyboard. Yet I sucked! I need to play more using SK.






Here's one of the best games every made and uploaded to Newgrounds. I'm serious, it's good. The voice actors were excellent and the animation was pretty good, almost reaching the standards of some commercially available games I've seen, eg The Experiment. It helps that it's small, so the high level of details doesn't require an obscene amount of effort and disk memory.

Basically you are in a tour in an underground cavern with your girlfriend and in one part of the tour the lights are supposed to be turned off to show everyone what it is like to be in complete darkness. However, something goes wrong and the technician does not respond.

No, there are no zombies.

Gameplay is simple. You just walk around with your torchlight and find clues to what is happening. This game has a creepy atmosphere (darkness and etc) so if you're a real pussy, don't bother.








This is one of the tracks from Code Geass R2 OST. As the song for Rolo's death, it is naturally somewhat sad. Speaking of Rolo, I've always had conflicting feelings for this character. He must be one of the grayest person of all.

He may have killed the last innocent member of the main cast, Zero's gf, but he was doing it for love for his "brother". It seems like he was widely hated for this deed, but I felt it was not wholly his fault.

I'll admit that Shirley was the last person (Okay second last; Euphemia was the last.) I expected to be killed, but I figured that was necessary for the whole series - every single person in the show must fall in the gray area. After Euphemia died I kinda got that idea. The writers were extremely merciless in killing the most innocent and pure character in the most horrible way. When she died, I was like "OMFGWTF?? Aren't good people supposed to stay alive and live happily ever after as heroes??!"

And when Shirley died, she was made out to be the character who had to endure the most despite that she did not ask for it. Everyone loved her so much her death was totally unexpected to many but not surprising to me.

On the other hand, Rolo killed her to protect his "brother", Zero. I can't totally fault him for that. If anything, he was almost as much a victim as Shirley. I feel the blame should go to Zero himself, for trying to bend a deadly weapon to his will using false brotherly love. That he would even toy with Rolo's heart makes him more evil than Rolo himself because he was merely numb to violence and did not feel happy when he murders. (Zero felt satisfaction, at least, for how he made Rolo his tool.)

When Rolo died, I thought he really didn't deserve to die so tragically. When he became such a loyal servant of Zero, what he had done before didn't seem to matter anymore. Dead is dead, and further punishment would serve no purpose. If he didn't kill for the wrong person anymore, what matters if "justice" was served or not? Hence when he was killed, it felt as if yet another innocent was wrongly murdered again.

Anyway, if you're looking an anime that can make your cold heart melt, watch Code Geass. Season One was freaking cool but some scenes are so touching I felt tears in my eyes that I never thought would exist. The death of Euphemia was the most tear-jerking event I've ever encountered in any form of media. Even beats the shock of Ned's death in A Song of Ice and Fire and the heartwrenching parts of Eureka Seven. None of the Naruto/Bleach episodes is even near these experiences.






Special match between Jaedong and Bisu, the champions of Season 1 and 2 of the Averatec-Intel Classic respectively, on the 1st of March. Professional Starcraft. I'll definitely watch this match.



Never knew this before, but UC Berkeley has a basic course on Starcraft. Kinda like a UE for NTU. What the heck? They get to play games to improve their GPA!

No comments:

Post a Comment