Saturday 7 February 2009

Rant 300 / Pregant Is When The Baby Sucks The Blood For Six Months

Holy cow! Slept at 1am and woke up at 6.30am; a night filled with dreams I can't remember. All I can recall is that I woke up about 3 times and couldn't go back to sleep just now. I have to be very worried about something; I just don't know what. I mean, there are more than 1 possible matter that I should be losing sleep over.

Either that or it was the alcohol I had...







The nail on my first finger of my left hand keeps getting chipped. Somehow it cracks often when I use that finger to open cans of drinks. It never seemed to do that before the last few months. Am I getting old?







I noticed that in DotA, I always suck in the early game. I'm bad at lane control, ie last hits. DotA, as most guides say, is all about last hits, both hitting enemy creeps last for the kill and exp and gold, and hitting your own creeps to deny your enemy those 3 things.

My timing for the Necro's attack still sucks. I blame the slow speed of his crystal-like bolt - it always arrives too late. On the other hand, the Sniper's attack is so fast it seems too easy to control the lane for him.

My kills catch up with my deaths only during midgame when my ulti becomes more effective, when I can KS just about everyone.









Similarly in L4D, I can be the best or the worst player out there. I've been through rounds in which I received the least amounts of damage despite getting puked on by Boomers (when Boomers puke on you, you attract the attention of every single Common Infected in the area). Last game in Expert mode, there was one round in which I took only 10 damage!!! 10 damage = 1 hit from a Common Infected. Woot!

Expert mode is challenging, to say the least. The tank is basically invulnerable against our guns, having 8k HP and kills us from full HP with 3 hits (1 to incapacitate, 2 to finish the job). Meanwhile, our guns do mere hundreds of damage per clip. It wouldn't be a problem if it's slow, but the Tank is only very slightly slower than a healthy Survivor plus it can access more areas than us, ie it can climb over trains and railings while we have to run around them.

Noobs always try to shoot it when the only effective way to kill a Tank on Expert is to dump your Molotov in front of it, watch it catch fire and RUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUN till the Tank's theme music stops (it signifies the Tank's death).

Also, the hordes of Common Infected comes more frequently in Expert mode. There are several times when I suspect that there were actually 2 or 3 waves of them consecutively. During such events, those running zombies never seem to die out. Feels like something out of the movie 300, when it's just 4 of us against over (probably) 200 zombies.

Also, I keep picking the autoshotgun often these days. Especially on Expert, since autoshotguns are pwnage - it's a shotgun and you can spam-fire. This weapon is especially useful for soloing Witches, those freakin bitches who can kill you with ONE hit on that difficulty.

Also, it's partly caused by my teammates choices of weapons - if there aren't already 2 shotgunners in the team, I have to choose it. It's just more useful against everything in close range. Screw the Sniper Rifles, because though it's more fun it doesn't kill as effectively unless you can kill multiple zombies with every shot. Many people take this gun though.


I just discovered in the last game a fact that is extremely important. You cannot hide from a Tank.

I was playing in Expert mode with some other pub guys. Early into the round (in the subway with the train wrecks), a Tank appeared. One guy, quite a noob, went down first. Just when I was going to type," Molo and RUN!" I noticed no one had a Molotov. So I just ran, hoping I could find a Molotov if I backtracked and looked hard.

After a few seconds, I couldn't spot any, so I turned around and saw another guy, one whom I expected to be pro, turning back to shoot at the Tank. I kinda gave up hope right there and then. It was at that moment that I recalled that this was still early in the round, so the Safe Room must be close by. No Infected can enter a Safe Room.

So I ran back to the starting location. The other guy, though also pretty noob, followed me as I ran. However as I was about to enter the Room, I turned around to see him turning away to take another route. The Tank was getting very near (another 5 seconds and he would have been on me).

I believed he was running for the air vent near the Safe Room, where the Tank shouldn't be able to enter. But he was too slow and got caught by the Tank. You see, in Expert mode, one hit from the tank incapacitates you. He went down while I entered the Room and slammed the door shut. I tried to fire a few futile shots as a friendly gesture, so that I wouldn't appear to be abandoning a friend, despite knowing that he was as good as dead (2 hits from a Tank when you're incapacitated will kill you).

Meanwhile, I was safe. As I danced around, deciding whether I should use my pistols to kill the Expert mode Tank, it ran towards the room. I began to pistol-whip it as it approached while jumping around to simulate a victory dance.

One hit from the Tank and the door magically vanished. NOTHING SHOULD BE ABLE TO ENTER A CLOSED SAFE ROOM, RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!? But the door just disappeared! WHAT THE F**K?!?!?! Seriously, I haven't felt my heart jump that hard in years. Then it charged into me, punched me and I flew.

Everyone laughed. Except me because I was still shocked. All I could do was stare at the screen till the game restarted.

A quick check in the L4D wiki told me that nothing but a Tank can enter the beginning Safe Room. Also, if I stand right behind the closed door, the Tank would try to hit me and not the door, but doesn't do damage through it to me. I believe this is a exploitable bug. If only I knew it earlier...

T.T

1) Yeah, don't startle her next time. Just a headshot will do.

2) Girls with long fingernails are dangerous.






My comp has been running quite slowly. Though I'm delighted that L4D hasn't crashed once so far, there have been several occasions when the music stopped for no reason and the graphics lagged. The problem with the music is one I can't understand, but the lag implies possible trouble with my video card.

Outside of L4D, my comp seems to be slowing down noticeably, taking a longer time to open programmes and multitask. Defrag scans report that I don't need to defrag my hard disks yet, while registry scans reveal nothing that can't be fixed. I'll need to scan my comp before I go to bed.

Meanwhile, everything that needs to be backed up has been copied to the portable hard disk. That is, everything but the system files. I'm prepared to lose this laptop if any problems arise. Of course, it'd be better to make some backup discs, but I'm too lazy. Maybe later.

At the very worst, I can still use this laptop as a blunt melee weapon if a zombie apocalypse occurs. A short-ranged weapon if I'm in a desperate situation. Oh shit too much L4D!






What would you do in the event that everyone in the world turns into zombies? This is something you can't help but ask yourself if you play zombie-shooting games too often and watch too many zombie flicks.

Obviously, my home is a horribly poor defensive location. Weak doors and not enough food/water stashed, not to mention only the main door is made of solid wood. It is possible to camp in my home if not for the very likely event that my family would turn into zombies. I'd be hard pressed to get rid of them since I cannot camp in my room (flimsy hollow wooden door). If things are calmer outside, I'd run.

But where can I go to? What can I use as a weapon?

I'd pick my cleaver if its reach isn't so short. The hammer would be good, I guess. Or my fan, if I manage to break the head off it to use it as some sort of staff. Guns are rare here, so I'd have to be amazingly lucky to find a pistol/revolver from a corpse of a policeman.

I guess I can only run to the nearest military camp, since many of them are built at good defensive locations. Not all are good against zombies though, since many use a combination of trees and wire fences as a defensive measure while zombies can just run around trees and climb over barbed wires.

If possible, the our military HQ would be a great place to go to. First it's on a hill. Second, there are many underground vaults (with the stereotypical huge metal doors and thick concrete walls) in the basements. Third, there are ample supplies of guns and ammo. The only problem would be food and water, if camping underground becomes necessary. And I'm assuming it's not already infested by zombies by the time I arrive, if I arrive.

The rooftops would be good too, since I can be rescued more easily up there than underground, but again, flimsy doors. Someone would need to camp in front of the stairwell doors constantly. Being in an underground vault would guarantee my safety but I will die of dehydration within a few days. Again, I'm assuming that they aren't infested already.

Since it is the main HQ of the military, it should be the last place to go down. However, reaching it from my home would take some time, especially since I most likely won't be able to use any vehicles. The roads would probably be blocked by car wreacks. That leaves only walking/running, which will take hours.

Assuming that I somehow survive the zombie onslaught on the way there with my melee weapons, I'll still need to climb uphill. Of course, that would be nothing compared to the journey there from home. If anything, I expect only the buildings at the top of the hill to be guarded by survivors. There'll also be a quarantine for any survivor who recently arrived, including me.

Food and water would run out in days. If the power plants have gone down, then they'll most likely use their backup generators very sparingly. For example, all computers would be turned off and power would be re-routed to only the most important locations, eg the lights outside for the sentries and maybe battery chargers for the torches/portable spotlights.

The native fauna in the surrounding jungles would provide insignificant amounts of food, if they're even edible at all by then. We will either need supplies dropped from a chopper or be rescued and transported to another location eventually. Or risk starving to death within 2 weeks. Of course, if any mothers recently gave birth, her breastmilk would help... (No I'm not being perverted. It's a reference to that group of people who got stranded on an island some years back and survived on the milk of one of the women.)

All these are under the assumption that the zombies would be the same as those in Left4Dead, which can run and climb over stuff. Also I'll probably not survive in this scenario. If they're the lumbering sort from the Dead movie series, then I would be able pretty safe once I get out of my building. Walking to the camp would be totally fine since they only walk and can't get past most obstacles including fences and walls. I'll only need to avoid getting bitten.








Apparently, some guy on the L4D forums is organizing a speedrun contest. He is forking out $50 (probably USD) as the prize for the fastest solo run through the No Mercy campaign on Expert.

Solo here means you have to kill all 3 teammates before opening the door to begin. Time begins when the Safe Room door opens and ends when the next Safe Room door closes. To compete, players would need to get some softwares like FRAPS to record the runs.

He claims to do it because he's bored. Anyway, even if it's a fake, they can always post their vids in the forums to gain some fame. I mean, I totally agree with that guy who commented that No Mercy on Expert is close to impossible with a full team, let alone solo.

It means the pro guy will have to kill all the Smokers, Hunters and Infected hordes all by himself. It takes an immense amount of skill to turn and melee the Smoker's tongue just when it's wrapped around you. Depending on how far it is to you, you'd usually be given less than 2s to do that.

Also, when the Tank comes, it takes all your attention just to deal with it, so if any other special Infected arrives, most likely the player's f**ked. If someone can kite the Tank and melee a pouncing Hunter at the same time, he'd be no different from a human aimbot, aka freakin Godlike.

I'd love to see such a speedrun without using any exploits. I heard there's a vid of a solo speedrun on Youtube but the player used every single exploit available.








It seems it is possible for a guy to fake a vagina if he has enough sticky tape. Found a guide on how to fold in your male genitals and stick them in such that it looks like a vagina in the end. Of course, the guy has to be relaxed first. I don't want to imagine how it'd feel if the guy starts to get an erection after the process.

It is of no use but looked interesting. I wouldn't do it though, since it also looks kinda painful too.








Deleted my Fallout 3 without completing the expansion, Operation: Anchorage. I like Fallout 3 only because I can explore the map. This expansion only provides a linear map with no deviation from the main route. Basically it's just about killing the enemies, which is boring to me. I'll reinstall when the next expansion is released.








This is called financial engineering...

Just kidding. I found this somewhere on the net and thought it was quite amazing. I've tried doing it before but I've never managed to get more than 5 layers, and nowhere near this width.







Really, I don't know why they're still doing anything in Heroes Season 3. Just done watching the first episode. With 2 guys who can travel through time, I can't see how they can't live happily ever after. I mean, if anything goes wrong, Peter can just go back and undo it. Seriously, he and Hiro are able to press the real life Ctrl-Z but aren't doing so. Everything they did, like Peter shooting Nathan, makes no sense at all!

Peter could have gone even further back and stopped him by, maybe, locking him in a room and didn't have to resort to such a drastic measure. And if he found the result to be unsatisfactory, he can fly back again and redo it in another way till he gets the desired effect!

For a person who can travel in the fourth dimension at will, it is impossible to make mistakes. Any mistake can be undone. He is basically the Abrahamic God, omnipresent and omniscient. Omniscient because he can probably live forever the way Adam Monroe could. Immortality combined with time travel means he can learn of every single possible mistake made by every single sentient being in the entire Universe and undo them all.

So the story should have ended right when he met Hiro and Claire! Peter Petrelli gains immortality and the ability travel through time and space, thus becoming God and everyone lives happily ever after.

And yes he can't be killed because he can easily travel to the future to discover if and how he got shot in the head (the only Archilles' heel of those with regenerative powers) and prevent that.

The end. GG. Fin.

But no they have to go on with a ridiculous and messed up story where Sylar kills everyone. The problem with Sylar could easily be solved by preventing his birth right from the start!

They are really making something out of nothing, because they should have introduced some sort of limitations to their abilities right from the start, so that Peter wouldn't be God. Now things have come to a point where any plot makes no sense whatsoever. I don't think I can make myself enjoy the show anymore, not when Peter seems to be completely unaware of his lack of limitations.

In short, it's stupid, almost to the degree shown below.

No comments:

Post a Comment