Monday 2 February 2009

Rant 298 / Fakery And Faggotry

Phew! So the problem wasn't from my side when all the Google links I found were labelled as harmful to my computer. Google apologized for the error that lasted for over half an hour, which means I encountered it at the end just before they fixed it.









Sometimes I can't understand why people defend Science so vehemently. To me, they're no different from religious radicals in the way they trust Science so much that they sound as if they cannot be wrong, that it is impossible that Science can be inferior to Religion.

Why not?

I used a very simple argument that I've been using all along: electrons and electricity. We cannot see electrons. How many of us have even seen a detector detecting electrons and understand how they work? Yet for most believers of science, few has had such a privilege, despite "knowing" that electricity exists. I'm not saying that religion is in any way superior, but sometimes Science is no better than a faith, especially where theoretical physics is concerned.

Some people mentioned that they have witnessed the detection of electrons and these machines work by making us of an electron avalanche. I'm no expert, but if any of you are in electrical engineering or any related fields, you may be able to know if it's true.

For the next line, that we "know" electricity exists without proof, they argue that no matter how ignorant we are, proof of it exists everywhere. Assuming by "proof" they mean electricial devices working properly, I can't see how that is proof.

Let me break this down to cause and effect. The effect is that the fan is spinning, so you take it as proof that the cause is electricity? Why? Out of my five senses, only touch can directly detect electricity and check this out... I'll die if I touch the wires! How deliciously convenient! How suspicously familiar! Since none of my five sense can directly tell me that electricity exists, then for all I know it may be that God is pointing an almighty finger at the fan to make it spin!

Or do they mean lightning? Why, everyone knows that Zeus wields the lightning bolt as his weapon! Why must electricity be the cause? To my five senses, they are both just as valid and invalid!

What about the static electricity when I rub my palms together? It doesn't prove anything.

Therefore, unless you have studied electricity in-depth and have witnessed the detection of electrons using a machine you understand, you have no proof that electrons exist!

Now we come to theoretical physics. You "know" they're right because men have spent their whole lives studying the subject, so they should be right. Or we say that their logic is sound, so they must be right.

How funny! Just a few centuries ago, people knew that electricity works because positively charged particles are flowing in a circuit. Their logic was sound too, until some smartass came along and showed them that negatively-charged electrons are the cause.

Another example is how, for about a century, phlogiston was the accepted theory that explained combustion, not air.



Let's bring it further, and use these arguments to defend Religion.

Proof of God is all around us. No matter how ignorant you are, you have to see that God exists. Look up the night sky and witness the beauty of the stars. Use a telescope and see the Universe. They can't possibly be an accident.

The Bible is also proof that God exists!

Men have also studied Christianity throughout their lives. Why don't we trust their views? Their logic is sound too. God made us; how could we have come from mere monkeys? How ridiculously insulting!

Everything that happens is because of God's will, because... why not? He's the boss, man. He knows way more than you, so you can't possibly understand His intentions. The only way you can directly meet Him is if you kill yourself now, but check this out... you'll go to Hell if you do! How deliciously convenient! How suspiciously familiar! It's like a wave of deja vu!

By the way, I'm no Christian.

Now this is true neutrality!

No comments:

Post a Comment