Saturday 24 March 2007

Rant 039 / Fatal Papercuts

I realized my blog contains very little details of the current matters in my life. This seems to be different from what most blogs are doing, which is to be a diary for the public to see. Even so, it is not my intention to tell anyone much about my real life. I use this name in most online communities I join and I prefer to keep my true identity separate from this. Whenever you see this nick(Senor Hybrido or just simply Hybrido) in any forums/games, it's most likely me.


I also know that there are numerous grammatical errors in my rants. My englan iz bad, okya? mY taipeeng n spairleeng r teh suX! foUrgeev mee!! tis iz haw yoo spiao spairleeng rite?

The first step to change, is to admit there is a problem. When I state that I have a problem, believe me, I am acknowledging that the problem is there and I am willing to change it. What I worry about is that there are problems I have not admitted to, problems I do not notice, or unconsciously deny.

This is very plausible because there have been several cases before. No details will be given here because the past is the past and what needs to be remembered is there they were there and they were solved.

But these problems were found only by fluke. Usually it is from some comments made in some random conversations by friends, or my observations of how others behave in situations I have little experience in.

One problem, though, I find extreme difficulty in changing. One of the greatest sins of all times, Sloth is indeed a widespread problem in the world today. If laziness does not exist, the world would have advanced a hundred times faster than it had. And I wouldn't be here whining about myself being lazy.

I figured that one solution to my laziness is to have more motivation to do what I need to do. Now the problem is there's little that motivates me. Hmm...

And next comes the part about how people would admit there mistakes and not willing to change it. They try to forget that they have a problem and will only admit to it only when they're left with no choice. And they try to get it out of their minds as soon as they can.

I do not know if I am doing this too. I hope someone tells me if I do. It gets onto people's nerves when your problem is as obvious as having it tattooed onto your face, and you do nothing about it.

One major problem I happen to think of at the moment is punctuality. Or the lack of it, anyway. It is so common among the people I know, it appears to be some kind of tradition or native custom to me. It is almost like it'd be rude to show up at the time that was agreed upon. In fact, people actually expect others to be late. When I organize outings, I know no one will arrive early. Few will be punctual. And most will be late, be it 5 minutes or 1 hour.

This is not right! There is no logic in being late all the time! What would be the point of agreeing on the time then? The time agreed upon will become the time that shall be considered as "too early" and that only coming after that time will be considered as honouring the verbal agreement?

Where is the sense?

In fact, people are known to arrive late intentionally because they know others will be late. So now, we approach the situation where people will arrive late because they know everyone else will arrive late and they hate waiting. And the cycle goes on until someday, it'll be customary to arrive 1 day after the agreed time. Then people will see this as an unbreakable, time-honoured, ancient tradition that must be respected.

That seems impossible, of course. But given enough time, the word "impossible" is meaningless.

Being late is not supposed to be acceptable, unless you have a very good reason for it. Imagine if one day, you got hit by a car and starts to bleed in your lungs. You arrive in the hospital to discover the only doctor who's available is busy taking a dump. He'll be arriving shortly when he's done. Meanwhile enjoy your stay in the A&E. Oh, don't mind the blood filling your lungs, we'll be sticking a tube in there to pump it out.





With great power comes great responsibility. But with great responsibility doesn't always comes great power!

No comments:

Post a Comment