Monday 27 May 2013

Rant 1139 / One More Step Followed By Yet Another Step

So I'm changing the format of my inventory list.

Used to be that I had all the numbers in the Notes app that came with the iPad, but after a few months, I could see that it was not a very good app for such a purpose.

For one, it does not back up anything. If I delete a page, it vanishes forever. I solved this issue by making copies of the page.

The second problem was that it could not handle photos.

That is a bad thing, although not urgent, because I am not familiar with most of my inventory. I have a terrible memory and I'm too lazy to participate much in the actual handling of the goods. If I were to help in the packing and stuff more, I'd gradually unconsciously memorise everything.

As it is now, I can barely remember anything that arrived more than 6 months ago.

So what I need is to have photos to match the product number.

Fortunately I found a free app that can do that.

Now I'm also adding descriptions of each item so that in the future, I can create an index.

One issue I have with it is that when I open the menu that displays a thumbnail of all the pages, they are positioned sideways so I have to enlarge the item numbers to make them easier to read while perpendicular to their normal position.

The best thing about it is that I can upload this in an online storage site so I can also access it on my PC if I want to.

It's a long task and I don't really want to think about the future when I transfer this to a new system. It's really mindnumbing, this data processing work. Kinda reminds me of guard duty.

Also asked my bro's gf if she would help me set up an e-commerce website. As far as I can tell, getting a domain name and a server is going to be ridiculously cheap compared to the cost of selling my stuff the way I do now, so I'm willing to be generous if she agrees.

Not sure if she will though since money isn't really an important point for her. What I worry about is that she may not want to add this to her already full schedule.

Seriously, she OTs almost everyday, sometimes even coming back only after 10pm, yet this is only her first year there as a permanent staff.

But as far as I can tell, she's familiar with this sort of work. Anything she doesn't know, which is mainly about the security, she told me she could ask her friends who work in the IT security line.

It sounds really good to me, but I don't know if this will work out.

I'm also considering hiring someone to handle the e-commerce, everything from the maintenance of the site to the shipping to the customer service. The thing is that I think the site will be pretty dead for months until I get some other things going, so it's too little work to have a dedicated staff for.

I just don't really want to handle customer service because I've heard plenty about the related problems from my buyers.

Of course I have a backup plan in case she rejects my offer.












Also, I spoke to the person who asked me for a quote before and for some reason, she's still interested but is taking forever to give me the confirmation I'm waiting for.

Weird. I thought the long silence was because she had found a better supplier, but apparently not. Or maybe she's still in the midst of comparing prices.

Either way, I'm quite confident it's going to be hard to find a similar price since as my first corporate client, I quoted her a price that won't give me a significant profit. I'm basically doing it for free, really. Sure, it's theoretically possible to find someone to beat this price, but it's unlikely unless she has a good network of acquaintances in this industry.






















Still playing MM6. My characters are at lv27-28 now and things are beginning to look... not so good.

For one, the spells don't scale very well.

The way they work is that they do a specific base damage plus a bit more damage per level of skill.

Although the cost is static, the fact remains that every point I add will never be worth as much as the first point that created the base damage.

This isn't as bad for destructive spells as it is for healing spells since I only have one character out of the four who focuses on offensive spells.

Although healing spells scale like this, the HP of all my characters do not, especially my Knight who's got Master Bodybuilding. His HP does not go up proportionally as he levels up because this skill multiplies the skill level by 4 and adding the number to the total HP. Expert level further doubles the sum and Master level triples.

In other words, my Knight is getting 12 HP points per level of Bodybuilding in addition to his normal HP increase from levelling up. Meanwhile, my heal spells are increasing by 2 points per level. His HP rises exponentially as I raise his expertise in his skill plus add points to it, while healing spells rise proportionally to the level of the healer.

Even if I upgrade the skill of the healing spell to Master, all it does is allow the healer to cast it more frequently.

And although it takes forever before he ever needs healing, it's seriously tedious to do it.

I just wish there's a stronger heal spell but I haven't found it yet. Maybe I will find it eventually but I don't want to spoil anything so I'm not going to google for it.






















So it turns out that the ladies wear from Jshoppers don't last as long as I expected. Apparently the stuff my bro bought for his girlfriend are starting to have problems, like one pair of pants that's beginning to have some stitches unravel.

Yet somehow both my bro's and my pants and underwear that we bought from that website have yet to show any problem.

It's weird because the website has far more women's fashion than men's so logically, since their focus is on those, they should have been better.






















Nothing beats fresh minced pork. Or rather, the week-old minced pork that I left in the fridge is still better than the frozen one I got from the wholesaler previously. Maybe it's been frozen for far longer than I thought.

But having butter corn is amazing. I think I forgot to mention in the last post that I also bought a 1kg bag of corn kernels. I don't really hate butter corn and fortunately, my bro had previous bought a little box of butter packed into little serving-size containers.

Now I have a very convenient way to get some fibre.

No comments:

Post a Comment