Tuesday 7 May 2013

Rant 1134 / The Malaysian GE2013 Has Led To The Creation Of A New Chinese Idiom: 大马停电 (Da4 Ma3 Ting2 Dian4)


























Day 51 of my 6th run in Don't Starve. 11 days to go before I break my personal record.

I've got everything I will ever need to survive a major catastrophe. I even have a bee box to produce honey for honey poultices.

With 6 sleeping darts, 2 spears, 2 log armours, all I should do now is get marble suit and pig helmet to complete the best armour set in the game.





It was day sixty-something when I got bored and decided to just move on to Adventure mode. I had found Maxwell's Door conveniently located close to the worm hole exit whose entrance is close to my base.



Now it's day 6 in the first world of Adventure mode and it's already winter!

What?

For the first 5.5 days it had been raining almost constantly with the occasional frog rain. Not only does the rain drives my sanity level down slowly, the frogs also get hostile when I get close to them, making life pretty annoying.

Worst of all, grass isn't common even in the grassland biome, making sanity increase expensive, so I have to do everything quickly so as to reduce any time wastage.

Now I'm in winter and it's even more annoying because I can't explore much in the cold.

Since this is probably the easiest world, I wonder what it's going to be like in the last. Hostile bees everywhere? Treeguards from every other tree?





































Got tired of the lack of camera hole at the back in my iPad cover so I switch to the last one. My only backup option now is a tablet sleeve I had bought as my backup together with my first iPad cover.

This one is way better because not only does it have the camera hole at the back, it fits the tablet almost perfectly. In addition, it has an elastic band that I can slip my hand under for a better grip, a small pocket for tiny notes, a magnet inside that locks the iPad when I close the cover, and it's made of faux suede so it has a nice texture.

Two things that aren't as great are that the leather isn't as soft as the one it replaced and it has a strip outside for locking instead of magnet. The magnet locking mechanism allows me to close it simply by flipping it shut while this strip has to be manually slid into the loop with both hands.

When I travel overseas, I need to refer to the map often and simultaneously avoid exposing the screen to the elements as much as possible, eg snow, so this inconvenience might be an issue then.

I'll have to hold it differently then, I guess.

As for the "almost perfect" fit, all I had to do was slip a folded piece of paper inside to nudge it to the right position. Doesn't look pretty and ruins the improvement in appearance over my last few iPad covers but still, looks aren't my priority.
























I know part of the attraction in Don't Starve is to die, but like Die2Nite, I don't find dying fun.

So now I'm playing Red Faction: Armageddon, and it's a lot better than I thought.

Compared to Red Faction: Guerilla, this is practically a totally different game except the storyline and the penchant for the destruction of buildings.

Unlike the first game, this isn't open world at all. It's extremely linear and there are no sidequests.

However, it's not that bad. The combat isn't too complicated and it's loaded with cut scenes, just the sort of RPG I like.

It's funny how they gave me such an overpowered gun right from the start.

In the first game, the sledgehammer was the best tool for destroying everything. Now, it's the magnet gun.

The usage is simple: I shoot to fire one sticky magnet, then I shoot again to fire another sticky magnet. Then they attract each other regardless of distance.

I'm practically killing everything with this gun except for the toughest fights and the ones that can't be won with it.

It's so good, I'm simply using the magnets to fling every monster up and away. For those that are either hard to hit (eg humans) and huge monsters that can't be lifted, I just fling all kinds of debris towards them. Well, except for the behemoth because concrete rebars don't damage it much, so I have to rely on the gun that fires explosive charges that need to be manually detonated.

I'm only playing on Normal and it feels like I picked Casual mode for this. There is some challenge in some boss fights but that's it.

EDIT: I was wrong. The magnet gun is even more OP than I thought. I can kill anything with it, even behemoths. Just did it in the area with the dead archivist, using nothing but the magnet gun. Oh yea!

I was actually running out of undestroyed structures to pull onto it and was prepared to shoot the repair nanites but it died without it. Phew!














My first corporate customer. Holy crap!

Actually I'm not sure if the deal will be confirmed but it is awesome that someone even asked. I've been waiting for months since I botched the last enquiry last year before I had known how to handle such requests.

The first time was actually embarassing. I didn't know if I could sell what I sell to my biggest customer to other people, so I told them I can't sell anything to them.

It was only during my mother's funeral last year that I asked the buyer if I could sell those to others.

Well, that sucked because that was a boutique. Anyway, it might also have been a blessing in disguise because I was completely unaware of the risks of selling to small businesses like that.

Now I know, but I expect issues to crop up as I go. I guess this is one of the tests in life to see if I have what it takes. Good thing this is just a tiny test.

Exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment