Monday 13 May 2013

Rant 1136 / Far Too Much Bibimbap

So the Rigidbot project on KS actually hit 1M USD. This means all backers get the following freebies:

- 1kg spool of PLA plastic
- spool rack to hold the spools with
- heated bed to keep object warm as it prints to reduce warp

Yay!



Like I said before, I'm paying US$570 for this, so it's a pretty big deal to me.

In comparison to most 3D printers, this is a dirt cheap barebone budget 3D printer. In fact, it's going to be hard to match the price even if I try to buy the individual components on my own. They're getting those prices only because they're buying in bulk, hence it's pretty much a mass-order of the printer parts with a few of their own original components thrown in when I ordered the kit instead of a fully assembled printer.

I suspect that they probably added the last few hundred thousand dollars from their own pockets but I don't mind. Even without the heated bed, it's still a pretty good deal, so the heated bed is an awesome bonus.

Yay! Can't wait for October to arrive!



















So I bought a small 30cm wok for cooking eggs. All the pans in my home have very steep edges so when I try to pour fried eggs out of the pan, they have a tendency to flip over instead. That really sucks when I try to leave the yolks runny.

Since I couldn't find a pan with a gentler slope, I settled for this tiny wok instead. Just made a big ham omelette with it and it's definitely making life easier for me.


















Ordered bibimbap from The Korea Food Company and in terms of quantity and nutritional value, I can say it's really value for money.

The whole thing came in a classy bag


Every pre-cooked ingredient came cold and prepacked in these containers








Raw rice

Only half of the beef bibimbap


It's so full of vegetables and it tastes too bland to have any MSG or flavourings.

For S$25 per bibimbap, it really does serve 4-5 people as advertised.

The catch here is that they come in ready-to-cook form with all the vegetables and meat pre-cooked and packed in sealed microwaveable containers and the raw rice in sealed packets.

Each packet contains 3 cups of some kind of short-grained rice.

All it lacked was the egg. Fortunately I had bought 30 eggs the very morning so it was ok.

Bibimbap was supposed to have a raw egg mixed in but the recipe on the website states a fried egg should be used. I added the egg raw anyway since they were all fresh.

Ordered 2 and we can't finish them.

First night, I cooked one set, the beef bibimbap, and shared with my bro and I. Couldn't finish. Sad.

Second night, I cooked half for myself. Couldn't finish. Sad.

I almost never pour food away before they spoil but I had to do it in two consective nights because they contained raw eggs and were all mixed properly with the ingredients.

Taste-wise, I have to admit I don't particularly like Korean chilli sauce, so I don't particularly like bibimbap. I have no problem eating it, but it's not something I'd keep eating even after feeling full like french fries. However, it's a pretty good way to eat healthy conveniently.

I'll still keep ordering it once in a while but definitely not all the time. It's nice but not nice enough.

Another reason for not being able to finish them is most likely because I've been starving myself. I'm very sure I could finish 1.5 cups of rice before this.

For the whole of last week, my fridge had no fresh food at all except for the last red onion. Not even milk which I could have used with rolled oats.

All I had left were my leftover dishes, instant noodles and processed meats, none of which really interests me these days.

Hence it hasn't been hard to avoid eating until Saturday when I finally got tired of the situation and went down for some fresh food. That, in turn, is why I bought 30 eggs at one go, plus 3kg of mince pork, 10 onions, 40 fishballs, 10 fishcakes and 4 packets of macaroni.

These should last a while. At least 2 weeks, maybe 3, hopefully 4.

I know for sure the eggs will last over 2 weeks in the fridge, while the pork will still be edible after 3 weeks if I keep it frozen. Fishballs and fishcakes, though, must be finished within the week. Even though they remain edible if I freeze it for over a week, the texture becomes very porous and a bit hard for some reason.

For fibre, I'm going with fruits by getting cheap apples. More fried apples! I used this recipe the other day with one apple and it worked very well. Good thing my bro bought a bottle of cinammon sugar for some reason and it's perfect for my cheap and not very sweet apples.

Anyways, starving for the entire day really does shrink your appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment