Wednesday 12 December 2012

Rant 1086 / Of Blood And Shirts



And this is how you can have something for nothing.




































Planetside 2.

Just when I was thinking that maybe the Terran Republic (TR) were overpowered, two things happened that changed my mind.

First, I spoke to my bro and what happened in my server didn't happen in his.

Basically, I logged on one day only to find that 2 of the 3 continents on my server turned red overnight, leaving one for us and poor New Conglomerate (NC) had nothing.

The next day, NC had one and us, the Vanu Sovereignty (VS) had nothing. 2 continents remained under the control of the TR.

What else was I supposed to think other than that the TR was so totally OP??

But on my bro's server, the 3 were split evenly among the 3 factions and had always been that way.

Not very exciting but it also meant that the TR wasn't really that OP.

Today, things went very differently on my server.

When I logged on, we already had one and was about to take another. I joined in the fun and watched as we got the bonuses for conquering two continents.

Maybe the TR wasn't that OP after all.

It was mostly about teamwork, about those platoons that stayed around really long to do organized raids.

Logic says that this just shows that the TR may have more of such players than the rest of us. However, at least for today, the VS is the most organized faction.

Anyways, I'm now spending a lot of time driving a Sunderer since it's fun and it's a great support for raids.

But because it's so hard to see anything below and behind, I keep rolling over my teammates in crowded areas.

The good thing is that when I'm not doing that, the Sunderer is a 12-seater van that can be deployed as a spawn point.
 
This means I am both a mobile spawn point and a transporter, but only one in each attack. The thing about these two roles is that I can only be one of them at a time.

To be a spawn point, I have to get to the destinations first. This is due to the fact that the Sunderer can only be deployed a certain radius away from other deployed Sunderers, and being a well-positioned spawn point is extremely rewarding. When I'm the closest spawn point to the important targets, the whole faction would spawn at me, giving me tons of exp just for being at the right place at the right time.

Hence, Sunderers tend to rush to the good locations. Other than racing each other, some would even go as far as to roll over anyone and anything just to get there first. I've seen Sunderers flipping light tanks over during the course of the races and that's really terrible.

Still, they can't do anything about it. Teamkillers get only warnings for friendly fire on the first few deaths, so they got warnings and not much else. Finding them over such a huge map and the huge mess at the raids is close to impossible and is not rewarding at all.

Personally, I have run over quite a few people but only because I didn't see them. Once I got killed by one of my victims for it when he spawned back (coincidentally at my Sunderer). I didn't fault him for it since I could also spawn back at the same location and I knew I killed him.

But I've also wasted a lot of ingame currency over upgrades that I can't use. For example, I got the repair upgrade (for repairing tanks around me), ammo resupply upgrade (also for any tanks around me), armour upgrade and a mine defense upgrade, only to find that I could only use one of them at a time.

That was about 200 certs spent and 100 of them wasted.

I only had 300 at that time.

That was a painful lesson that I now remember all the time.

Anyways with this increasing proficiency at using Sunderers, I'm making about 50 certs a day. I don't play that much, so 50 certs a day is enough.

























Visited the dentist. Surprisingly little blood. The dentist also used a saltwater spray which I don't remember from my last visit.

I had stopped flossing and brushing twice a day about two months ago, so this was not what I expected at all.

In addition, I was not prescribed any special mouthwash, probably because of the lack of bleeding.

Because of this, I was charged only S$65 this visit. Really didn't feel like it was worth the price but then again, it was probably worth the good news.























Showed this person whom I might as well refer to as my mentor my harvest from Korea. Most of them were good, the rest merely acceptable.

Good, because this means I didn't waste my time and money. The flights and hotel cost S$1k already, and the clothes and food and stuff another S$1k.

$2k spent over four days is quite a lot IMO.

The only problem is that I did not get any men's clothing and my current stock of men's stuff is pretty low.

Still, I'm glad the 240k-won jacket was good. At first I liked it, then I got a bit of a shock when I saw the price tag. I stared at them and walked around for a bit over this little dilemma and eventually left Lotte Young Plaza without buying.

That night, I just couldn't get it out of my mind, so I decided the first thing I would do the next day would be to get back there and buy it.

Hence I got there too early the following morning.

240k wons is probably almost S$290 (also around US$240, since 1k won is US$1). I have never, in my entire life, paid that much for any single piece of clothing, much less one that I was never going to wear.

But buy it I did, and it was not wasted.

*Commencing hip-thrusts*






























My shirts have arrived...








and they were too tight for me.

Clearly these were meant for slim men so now the two meant for me could fit my bro while the one for my bro is going to be exchanged for their biggest (the ones for me were the second biggest).

The problem is that even though the lengths were right, they were too tight around the torso.

That's a bad problem. Obviously they had too much engineering talent among them and not enough tailoring experience.

Still, I like them, but only if they fit me.





















Doctor Who is such a great show; I just can't stop watching it.

But so far I've only watched the first three of the new seasons. At my current rate, I'll need to find the old 20-over seasons soon. Shouldn't be a problem, given the apparent popularity of the series in the UK.

Basically it's about a time traveller. I can't believe it took me this long to find out about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment