Wednesday 9 May 2012

Rant 993 / Incomplete Tales





Believe it or not, I used to have a legit boxed copy of Diablo 1 back in the day. Everything about it was so new then, I didn't even know what "Free Battlenet" meant and thought it came with free internet.

Of course that part didn't work out, and I didn't like the game.

Diablo II was much more fun, and I was entering an age where I began to like such excitement when it was released.

Still, I'm not going to pre-order Diablo III. I don't see it as a game that I would keep playing often enough to make it worth the money.

Fallout 3 and FNV, on the other hand, gave me more than I paid for.

Killing Floor too.
















Console contracts?

A 360 with Kinect for US$99 with a 2-year contract of US$15 monthly.

The future of console gaming!

TBH, I wouldn't mind, except they're already developing the 720 so 2 years may be a bit too long.

In any case, I'm too cheap to buy console games, making it pointless for me to even consider buying a console at all.
















EA announces low profits in the fourth quarter (July-September) because it sucks.

Profits announced: 400 million nett
Cost of making and marketing the TORtanic alone: over 150 million.

It's true this is a much larger number than the 151 million they got in the same quarter last year, but the difference lies in the fact that they had just released the costliest game in human history.

Which makes "TORtanic" such an apt name.

And did I mention they lost over a million subscribers since its release 5 months ago? They had announced sales of over 2.3 million copies and they're at 1.1 million subscribers currently.

Anyway, as a result of the announcement, EA shares dropped 10% ($1.49) to $13.64 per share immediately that day.

It then recovered back to $15.13 per share at closing before dropping another 5% to $14.38 in after-hours trading when it predicted losses of about 45 cents per share in the next quarter.

Despite all the bad news, EA is still kind of safe to invest in as far as I can tell. As much as I dislike their business practices from a gamer's point of view, its profit level is undeniably moving in an upward direction, generally speaking.

Yet who knows? This could very well be the end of the line for it. I wouldn't bet on it though. EA may not be great at making games, but they have some good businesspeople in there.
















Just ordered about 8 cardigan samples, most of them men's. Feels like part of the weight has just lifted off my shoulders.

I also realized why my office is so packed even though I'm grossing better than my mum did for March and April. My jackets aren't moving rapidly enough, and they're bulkier than everything else.

I suck at jackets.

But in my defense, men's jackets are fcking boring here in Singapore!
















A Ph.D on welfare impossible? In the US it is.

Ms. Bruninga-Matteau always wanted to teach. She started working as an adjunct in graduate school. This semester she is working 20 hours each week, prepping, teaching, advising, and grading papers for two courses at Yavapai, a community college with campuses in Chino Valley, Clarkdale, Prescott, Prescott Valley, and Sedona. Her take-home pay is $900 a month, of which $750 goes to rent. Each week, she spends $40 on gas to get her to the campus; she lives 43 miles away, where housing is cheaper.


Yep. Ph.D and professor.

Actually, having a Ph.D isn't really that huge of a deal in terms of income even in places other than the US.

For example,

In Canada 80% of postdocs earn $38,600 or less per year before tax—the average salary of a construction worker.

This is from a 2010 article from The Economist, so it's not outdated data.

The problem is that there are too many Ph.Ds in the developed countries, and it's scary.



















Warlock: Master of the Arcane looks good.



















The worst thing to happen to me in Fallout: New Vegas just occured.

I always try to visit the Gun Runners shop outside of New Vegas everyday to find the Anti-Materiel Rifle, and today, I found it.

In addition, the Light Machine Gun and its corresponding mods, and the Marksman Carbine were also available at the Vendortron.

So I bought the Anti-Materiel Rifle and thought I'd save it right after so that I could buy the Marksman Carbine after to try, then reload if it wasn't as useful as the Assault Carbine that I was using. The DPS was slightly lower but each round was dealing almost twice the damage, so I needed to know if the scope's accuracy to make the judgement.

As for the Light Machine Gun, IIRC it had terrible accuracy, almost as if I was using a machine gun without deploying it, so I usually ignore it.

Anyway I went through the list completely and bought everything that I want with the 18k caps I was holding, and then I hit A to accept.

It crashed.

IT FRICKIN CRASHED!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Good thing I had saved just before I bought anything... except the list had reset again when I reloaded. It's randomly generated each time I reload apparently.

None of the three guns were available after that.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU




I think the pure awesomeness of the Anti-Materiel Rifle overloaded my PC.



They aren't appearing for the following 3 reloads. I'm reloading it until I find my Anti-Materiel Rifle again >:(

It appeared again on the fifth try but it crashed again.

Something's wrong, and it is likely to be the rifle. I had bought the Marksman Carbine and test it before buying the rifle and it was fine.

Seventh time, bought again, was fine, crashed when I hit Tab to look at the Pipboy to equip it.

Ninth time, bought the Marksman Carbine, all the boxes of casings, primers and relevant ammo before hitting F5 for a quicksave. When I hit A for the final transaction after that for the rifle, it crashed.

It really is the pure awesomeness of this gun that's crashing my PC.





















They weren't the people I thought I knew; they are the people I have no respect for.

I cling on too hard to the concept of justice, living as I do in a world where there is too little of it.

There is no "we", only I.

No comments:

Post a Comment