Thursday 3 May 2012

Rant 989 / Windows 7 And Xbox Now Banned In Germany

Seriously, Germany banned them.

Motorola Mobility has been granted an injunction against the distribution of key Microsoft products in Germany.



Speaking of Motorola, I didn't know anyone was buying their phones anymore until recently when my bro bought it.

I had totally forgotten about that brand.

Now this headline should resurrect it and give it some hype.

























Oh Blizzard.

Instead of trying to stop the sale of ingame items for real money like all other companies do, they're now legalising it and charging money, either the ingame one or the real thing, for each transaction.

They're planning only to accept a few currencies at launch: USD, MXN, BRL, ARS, CLP, AUD, GBP, EUR and RUB. For those of us here in Asia, "no real-money auction house available at launch".

For the gold (ingame currency) auction house, the seller will be charged 15% of the final selling price.

For the real-money auction house, 1USD or 1AUD per item.

Transfer fee is 15% of amount being transferred, and this is applied to money you're transferring from your Blizzard account to your Paypal account.

For items that aren't weapons, armours or accessories, it's simply 15% of the final selling price for everything in either gold or cash.

The pattern is so obvious here; anyone can see the business strategy of Blizzard now, even people like myself.

While EA's seems to be to buy up popular franchises, spend most of the budget on overhyping the shitty sequel they make with the rest of the money, then making a fortune from pre-orders, Blizzard focuses more on the long-term.

I think they got a taste of it from the success of WoW and got addicted, so now they're trying to recreate the sustained revenue that WoW used to provide them with.

Everyone knows WoW has been dying for a long time - the very act of remaking the entire world in Cataclysm was like CPR to the game. The question is whether Blizzard can recreate the magic in time.

SC2 was one of the things they couldn't adapt to such a business model, so they tried to make it a major e-sport, and gave it an obscene price tag and a harsh punishment for cheating. This implies that they weren't planning to adapt it initially, probably because WoW wasn't dying back then.

Now it looks like Diablo III is going to do the job of replacing WoW. I'm pretty sure once it's out and appears to be successful, they will stop trying so hard to get people back into WoW like they did with the free Diablo III deal. Of course there's no such thing as too much money, so if they find it worth the investment they will still try to sell WoW.


If they had such an idea back in Diablo II, they would have already made a fortune just because of the Stone of Jordan ring, among other things.
























Finally remembered to record my games for the autopilot.

Missed recording my most successful run in Tropico 3 when my popularity hit 54% and my money was staying above 100k.

Too bad I then raised the wage leve of the uneducated too quickly and drained my economy. I can probably still save it but I'll leave it for tomorrow.

It's strange though. I only have over 70 unemployed in a population of over 900 and my citizens are already getting pissed off enough to start leaving the island.

As for the recording, it's just a long run that consists of my journey to Nipton where I killed the legionnaires and Vulpes after three tries.

It was on Hardcore mode, so the absence of an instantaneous heal really makes combat difficult.

On the whole I'd say the video wasn't very interesting though because half of it was me looting everything.























Recycled my trash on Monday. Sembcorp usually gives out these thin green plastic bags for it which they collect every fortnight.

They took a pot I burnt some time ago, my old army uniforms and some other trash, but they didn't take my old pillow.

:(

I still haven't packed my mum's stuff. Somehow I just can't start.

I already have most of her clothes piled onto her bed, so now I just need to remove the hangers and dump them all into the recycling bag. And some other stuff, like her cupboards and whatever.

What should I do with her makeup stuff? I don't think I can recycle them, so I'll most likely just throw them away.


I've also been collecting all my paper trash in that bag. I used to keep all those brochures and flyers to reuse them for whatever, but I've been getting way more than I need.

As for glass jars, plastic bottles and beverage cans, they need to be washed before I dump them inside so it will depend on whether I'm in the mood to do it.




















Fleece jackets. I think I shall get some fleece jackets. Men's of course. I already have two ladies jackets that contain fleece.

No comments:

Post a Comment