Tuesday 29 May 2012

Rant 1000 / A Kilorant Of Words

This feels kinda like the Internet - it was never expected to go this far.

Similar to the IPv4 system, I started with three digits for the number since my first post and thought it was more than enough.

One thousand posts.

Thought about doing something special but didn't see the need for that.























I didn't use to notice the benefit of having iced water when it's hot but now I do.

I was desperate since I'm too cheap to get my AC repaired and I needed a way to endure the hot weather.

It's 32 degrees right now.

It feels even hotter after meals.

So I got a large cup of iced water... and I stopped sweating for a while.

This is even better than the wet towel I used in the past.























It's high time I start working now. My anxiety has reached the point where I won't be able to sleep if I don't do anything about it.

I'm not eating tonight until I've done what I need to do - find some designs.

I don't even know why I procrastinate - I have practically nothing to lose and everything to gain!

...

3 hours spent on scanning through over 7000 jackets.

My mind is now numb.


...

Designs were chosen for the next phase.

Yay!

But more is required. Can't just do unisex.

But I don't have to give a feck about men's jackets anymore for the rest of this year.

























The Greeks are in denial. This is... just wow.

Solemn warnings from abroad that Athens cannot stay in the euro while rejecting the terms attached to the billions offered to pull Greece out of its financial hole are widely disbelieved in a land that considers itself the envy of foreigners.

Frankfurt and Brussels say it is impossible for Greece to have one without the other: no bailout means no euro and a return to the drachma - "drachmageddon", as some Greeks call it.

"Empty threats!" said Nikos Sokos, 29, who works in a cafe in central Athens. "There's no way they're going to kick us out. There won't be a euro zone if they do that."


They can and they will if nothing is done to plug the giant financial black hole that is their country. What choice will they have? From Germany's perspective, they would rather kill the euro (if that is the result at all) than let the entire Eurozone go bankrupt just because of them.




























You know SWTOR is dead when...




D:






















It's been getting harder to rinse shampoo off my hair these days. I'm not sure when this began but it's probably since last year.

At first it was just one patch of my hair but now it's the entire crown.

Basically after my hair dries, they stick together and become hard like there's dried shampoo inside.

Except I've been trying to rinse my hair pretty thoroughly recently and it's not working. And yes I've tried massaging my scalp and all that.

After some googling, it seems this is likely to be caused by a buildup of some chemicals in my shampoo.

No idea why it only happened now. Maybe it's this Pantene shampoo I've been using consistently ever since I began buying my own. It's cheap, only S$6.50 for 700ml in this budget store in my neighbourhood.

I think I may have to visit an actual hair salon or buy some clarifying shampoo, if applying vinegar/baking soda doesn't work.
























Oh fuck! The bank in Hong Kong requires the letter of administration to be resealed in Hong Kong.

Fuck!

I don't think there's enough money in that account to cover another lawyer's fees and a return air ticket there.

According to my lawyer the resealing of the letter of administration is going to be a repeat of the application process, ie I should avoid it if possible.

I'm now asking the bank to be lenient and just send me the money. If not, and if I'm right about the amount there, I'm going to just forget about it.




























The worst thing about it was the silence. The absolute silence.


























"There's a fine line between my ass."


























Went to the Philips Carnival Sale on the 26th. Initially planned to buy just the Airfloss and a steam iron but ended up with a nose trimmer too. It was cheaper than if I had used my points in its online store.

New toys!

The Airfloss requires an initial recharge of 24 hours before I can use it though :(

As a Philips Family Rewards member, I also got a set of iPad casing and screen protector for free.

It's kinda nice especially since my screen protector has yet to arrive after 2 months. I'm not in a hurry because the order isn't going anywhere and I'm already used to using the iPad without it. At worst I'll just ask them for a refund which will most likely be in the form of store credits.

As for the casing, it's made of a softer leather than the one I'm using. Not sure if it's better but it sure feels like it is.


























Tomorrow the reyclers come to get their green recycling bags.

I wonder if they will accept my old pots. Not because they're old but that they've been left in the open in the kitchen for so long a thick black greasy layer has formed on all of them.

And by "long" I mean years.

It's disgusting enough that I couldn't touch them with my bare hands.

























So apparently there was this shooting in a Finnish town on Friday. Now the interesting thing is that a Finnish guy told me a major newspaper in his country printed a map of the town center and explicitly explained how this man maximised his coverage with his rifle on the roof, almost as if its teaching readers how to do it.

I'm surprised they didn't tell everyone how to make bombs after all these terrorist attacks over the years.

The people have the right to know the truth!
























Just tried the Airfloss.

Nice gadget. This feels so much more convenient than using actual floss.

This thing has a tiny piston inside which I could feel compressing what I'm guessing to be a mix of air and water (could be just water, but that would take a pretty damn impressive pump inside) whenever I press the button.

More likely, it was just air and it works like a perfume spray.

Another nice unexpected effect was the lack of kick from the piston. I had half-expected some form of recoil when I heard the sound but I couldn't feel anything but a small sudden vibration.

When I floss, it's usually quite troublesome to get the floss between the teeth at the back. I'd have to twirl it around my fingers a few times to get a good grip for every gap, and the worst part is when the floss somehow catches onto something and untwines as I pull it out, leaving some tiny threads stuck between my teeth.

I solve that by flossing it with a new piece of thread but it's still very annoying.

With this machine, I won't have this problem.

The catch is that things that are very firmly stuck between the teeth, maybe like a piece of bone or just tartar like I have between a few of my teeth, won't be affected by the water spray. Good idea to have some floss around as backup.

Before this I was planning to revert to normal floss when this thing stops working but now, I may get a replacement when the time comes, depending on my income then.



















I'm now going to drink tea on each day that I'm not going out to see anyone.

Tea is like a weaker version of coffee to me, especially since I drink like 5 cups of it when I do.

The idea is to go cool turkey whenever possible so that the next cup of coffee gives a stronger kick when I need it.

Another reason for this is that I have no idea what to do with all this tea leaves my mum left behind. Despite the fact that most of them were vacuum-packed, there's only one of me and like several kilograms of them dried leaves.

I only need about half a tablespoon a day since I'm not into the hardcore thick stuff like my mum was.

At the current rate I'm going, some of them are bound to expire before I can get to them.

Too bad. None of my relatives like them. I don't particularly like that tea either because I'm more into a mix of tieguanyin and jasmine. She bought several types of leaves most of them tieguanyin and oolong and the stuff I'm using was from the large can she used to store her preferred mix.























I think the problem with internet discussions is that there is too little participation from the intelligent and the successful.

The result is that most internet discussions I see are made up of stupidity and ignorance.

I mean, since when has anyone been required to fork out 200k SGD as downpayment for a 300k HDB flat in Singapore?

That's not even the worst part. That distinction goes to the fact that almost nobody disagreed with the comment.

I strongly believe that more is required to correct misinformation and these festering boils of idiocy that are everywhere on the internet.

Apathy can kill.

Or am I one of the few people who are willing to do what must be done when a problem arises, while everyone else just waits for someone else to do it?

And I can't believe the number of Singaporeans who can spend all their time on the internet whining about how the government is making them "pay and pay".

If you have the time to whine online, you have the time to find out ways to make more money outside of your full-time job, like my accountant who's working full-time in the accounts department in some MNC, studies part-time in a university with course fees fully covered by the company, and does bookkeeping for us small businesses on the side.

That makes you more money; sitting around talking about how you have none doesn't.

I just cannot stand how the stupidity is allowed to grow on its own. Stupid people are fine but stupid people converting others to their religion of Stupidity are simply outrageous.

In addition, here in Singapore their misinformed whines and subconscious need for scapegoats for their own problems feed on each other till they become hateful morons who think everything can and must be blamed on the current ruling party of our government.

Can't get a good job and you have to pay your home loan for the rest of your working life with nothing left for a safety net? Blame the PAP.

An ex-bankrupt who can't get a loan and hence can't afford a home? Blame the PAP.

An ex-convict with the same problem? Blame the PAP.

Students dying from mysterious reasons? Blame the PAP.

Some dude killed his ex-lover? Blame the PAP.

Tampon not absorbent enough and blood is leaking from your panties? Blame the PAP.

There's a fly in your soup? Blame the PAP.

You've just wasted 5 minutes of your life reading my blog that you will never get back. Go blame the PAP for that too.

More of us need to get out there and correct their opinions. One or two of those may have been fine, but when there's enough of those voices, something called "mob mentality" kicks in. The resulting hate and idiocy can be greater than the sum of the individual parts.

Don't give me that bullshit about how everyone's entitled to their own opinions. That's only said by apathetic people who haven't seen enough. Moreover, it doesn't mean we should just let things be.

Because how about people who believe that drugs should be legalised? Not just weed but other stuff like Ecstasy and LSD.

Or mass suicide cults?

Or all those people who are now as good as bankrupts because they thought the end of the world was going to happen earlier this year?

Or people who worship serial killers?

More is needed to save the misguided from themselves. Even if we do not change their opinions, at least something should be done to correct the misconceptions of the uninformed.

A country is made up of its people. When the masses become idiots, the country is ruined and the fault lies in everyone who saw but did nothing to stem the tide of stupidity.

Case in point: Nazi Germany.
























And suddenly I feel like having Hamburgers from MCD. At S$1.50 on its delivery menu, I think it's kind of a good deal now that I think about it.

Then again, it can get pretty dry after a while.





















Bought a pair of casual suede shoes on Gilt.

Undeniably a hasty decision because I only spent about 10 minutes googling and thinking about it.

I don't know why but I just like that pair of suede shoes. Just a simple design yet not too plain.

Just a pair of suede derby shoes


Looking at it just gives me that excited feel that I don't get from looking at other shoes. As for the brand, TBH I've never heard of it. Eastland? Probably not big here in Singapore.

First of all, I need a pair of shoes like yesterday. My current pair is old and breaking apart. I've already glued it thrice now, first time with superglue meant for wood and plastics, the latter two times with shoe glue. As the result of my lack of dexterity in my hands, the shoes are now fcking ugly.

The right sole is currently not attached to the shoe at the toe tip and above the heel; it's only hanging on at the bottom. The left sole is also not attached at the toe tip.

This is the pair I've been wearing for everything including work, ie including to meet buyers.

Secondly, it's a pair of Columbia hiking shoes. Heavy and probably has more traction than I need, yet strangely it still slips on wet tiles. The sole isn't even that worn out yet, with no flat areas anywhere.

Initially I wanted to get another pair of such shoes but after a bit of reading up on footwear, I decided to get something less out-of-place and was thinking of getting walking shoes instead.

Then I saw suede shoes on sale on Gilt a few days ago and I just liked the look immediately.

Usually when I go shopping I don't bother even glancing at most shoes other than the sports shoes, so I've never noticed suede shoes here in Singapore.

In any case I managed to stop myself from buying any of it that day but not this time.

I am aware that it would be a better idea to get out tomorrow and find some suede shoes to get a general idea of the price range here, but I just wanted it. It's that urge, that feel in the gut that says," That's it! Look no further! That's what you've been looking for! Now get it!"

Things I took into consideration before I succumbed to tempation:

1) It is a terrible idea to buy something without comparing prices.

2) Shoes my size are hard to find, even on an American site such as Gilt. If I wait, it might get sold out. I can only reserve it for 10mins at a time.

The last, combined with that urge, was the most important factor for my purchase.

Of course I made sure it was my size before I bought it. I even checked my shoes before I clicked.

In the end, the final net price of this decision was S$136, well within my budget for my next pair of shoes (I was having a max limit of S$200).

The problem now is that suede shoes require extra attention because the material can get ruined more easily than all the other shoes I've ever worn in my entire life.

Before it arrives somewhere between the coming week and the next, I'm also going to need to buy a suede brush and a suede spray.

That's important because it MUST last. I've never had a pair that lasted less than two years and I don't want this to be the first.






I also need a few pairs of pants but Gilt has nothing I want. The ones I'm wearing are fading, a few quite visibly. I should have bought some earlier this year when there were sales but it's too late to think about it now.






If this doesn't work out, at least I'll learn something.

In the event that it does, I'm going to need some new pants to go with it other than my current pairs of cargo pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment