Tuesday 22 November 2011

Rant 895 / Options Are Optional



And that's usually how noobs kill the pros once in a while.










Just when I thought $4.99 for 3 dozen eggs was a good deal, I saw a stall selling eggs of similar sizes at $1.60 per dozen in the market.

Then again, with the 3% cashback on my debit card that Saturday, it should be about the same after all. 3% of $5 is $0.15.

Meh.













Last night the right button of my mouse decided to stop responding every so often. Initially I thought it was a software issue but I hadn't updated anything since the last time I used it.

So I changed the mouse to another Microsoft one but I only exchanged that problem with another.

Now the cursor jumps around occasionally.

Time to find more cheap mice. Nothing fancy, I just need a generic one that doesn't fuck up my games.









I just learnt not to fry a frozen egg. My fridge is getting old, so things placed on the top level tend to freeze, and that's what happened when I had to place two of them there after filling up the egg racks on the fridge door the day I bought the 36 eggs.

Frozen egg yolks break by themselves despite the seemingly protective ice shell, probably because the skin of the yolk froze too.

Moreover, there's the problem of frying anything frozen - the outside tends to overcook and/or the inside gets undercooked.

In this case, I simultaneously burnt and undercooked the very same egg.

Finally, the shell cracks when the egg freezes, so boiling is out of the question.










Season 4 of Die2Nite has the coalition limit removed, so I'm back into the game. Unfortunately, I forgot about the jump after signing up with my last mega-coalition, hence forgetting to log in to accept the coalition invite before the jump.

Now I've got to wait for the next jump.

Time to set a daily 11pm alarm on my phone again.

Started doing it when I died once from forgetting to log in. It was particularly unforgettable because the town had some real potential.












Skyrim is getting hard again. It seems I'm not as invisible as I thought. The first time I noticed this was when I fought the Forsworn at the Sundered Towers. They could seriously hear me from 50 meters away and see me when I'm in their line of sight and about 10m away from them even when I sneak really slowly.

This never happened before. I'm usually invisible even when I'm right under their noses.

I think the game actually takes the lighting into account because it was broad daylight when it happened and I was on the steps where there was no shade.

The second was during the main quest when I was supposed to sneak through a garden into this guy's room. They couldn't hear me but they could see me from 10m away when I'm under the sun. In the shadows, they couldn't see me at all even when one of their knees was in my face.















So minced pork goes at $10/kg at the market. And they have fatty pork unlike the Shop N Save where there's only minced lean pork. Probably because of low demand.

And the chicken breasts there cost me $15 for 14 pieces, or 7 chickens' worth, with or without the bones. Apparently I can also choose to have the bones removed and placed in another bag for me.

Awesome. More chicken stock. 7 chicken ribs can make 2 batches probably.











Another cooking failure. I got the fuzzy gourd and dried shrimps right but not the rice vermicelli. Both rice vermicelli and cellophane noodles are called "vermicelli" here, so I just bought one packet of the former.

Then I discovered it was the sort that was meant to be eaten in soup when I cooked it.

Now it's almost wasted. It's actually pretty edible but it just tastes nothing like what it was intended to be.

It's kinda like porridge now because it's been overcooked, and that was because I was initially unsure if the whiteness meant it was not cooked enough.

We're treating it as porridge. It's perfectly edible, but just doesn't taste like what it was meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment