Monday 14 November 2011

Rant 892 / Still Unable To Find Any Reason To Dislike Skyrim Yet


To all gamers and online forum users: take the high road. It works.






I can barely remember the answer. It was such a long time ago.





























Sometimes we get so focused in what's in front of us we forget to see the big picture.




Been visiting http://www.eatliver.com












The Dustman's Cairn quest in Skyrim was interesting. The part where I got trapped and Farkas had to deal with those five Silver Hands was particularly surprising. At first I was like "Aw my bro's going to die."

Then "Wait... WHAT?"

And he came back as if nothing happened.

I'm too lazy to type a spoiler warning so I'm not telling why.




One thing that's been really bugging me is how I can't tell if someone far away is hostile or friendly. As a sniper, I need to know whether I should choose to make pre-emptive strike.

Moreover, I don't want to kill a friendly NPC who may possibly give me quests.

Unfortunately the only way to determine if I can just walk pass someone or something is if I do a quicksave and actually approach that person/thing.

That's pretty annoying actually.














Pfft... Singapore does not have a bad traffic problem. It's not bad until you see S$70+ on the taxi's fare meter without surcharges, which is what I've seen in Hong Kong (over HK$350). It wasn't even that far; the actual issue was that a landslide had caused a real major traffic jam along the path the driver took.

I do agree that a few Singaporean taxi drivers drive like they own the roads. The rest just have more balls than the other drivers - they signal and follow all the rules unlike the first group.












So today I read (accidentally) something that was supposed to be inspiring. It was about how as long as you are enthusiastic about your idea(s), there will always be opportunities to succeed.

My opinion:

Hellgate: London

Look at how humongous a flop they made out of it with their enthusiasm.

Try, but don't be delusional. There are more than enough suicides in the world every year.











So when a friend disagreed with my belief that cooking at home is not always cheaper than eating out, I decided to take a good look at what I pay when I buy food.

The truth is, I don't give a damn how much most common raw ingredients cost. I just hand over $10 bills (or $50), grab the change and stuff everything into the wallet. Of course I make sure the notes are there but I don't care about the coins. How much room for error can there be in those?

Coins I use for cab fare. Usually I wait till I have way too many coins before I do that, then pay the entire cab fares in coins.

Taxi drivers are one of the few types of people I know who love coins. In fact, they usually don't bother to count what I hand them, partly because it's not easy to count $7-10 worth of them. Not that I bother to cheat them, but it's just something that could come in handy if the need arises. If it ever does.

Today was actually my first trip of the week to the market and I was late as usual.

Only bought 5 small potatoes, 2 large onions and a dozen eggs.

$3.70.

Later at home I looked at the 278g of lean pork in my fridge. Coincidentally, it was also about $3.70.

After I bought the eggs and stuff, I had also visited the mixed vegetable rice stall to buy just the dishes without rice. 3 packets: a serving of steamed egg, another of ribs with bitter gourd and finally a serving of tofu skin.

Those 3 cost me $6.50.

Looking through some of my recent receipts from Shop N Save, 500g of kangkong cost me $1.20.

The five cloves of garlic, salt and oil I used to cook it with probably cost less than a dollar.

As for tonight's cooking, I made that garlic kangkong and sliced pork in 海山酱 (hai3 shan1 jiang4).

I estimate the kangkong cost about $2 in total and the pork dish cost about $4.50.

2 cups of rice.

$11 for the 5kg bag of rice.

1 cup of rice is about 200g, so 2 cups make 400g.

0.4/5*11= $0.88

Throwing in electricity, gas and etc, this meal for two probably cost me $7.50, or $3.75 per pax.

That's slightly more expensive than 2 packets of rice with 3 dishes from the mixed vegetable rice stall, but only because of the pork and the larger amount of rice.

He's right.

I should probably buy meat dishes from outside then.

On the other hand, I need the practice.

But yea, if I want to live really cheap, I certainly should go vegetarian, or even vegan.

2 comments:

  1. It's definitely cheaper to cook if u dun eat so much but throwing in the health benefits of cooking yourself provided u dun screw yourself with your cooking, I still see benefits in cooking.
    By economic of scale, cooking for 2 or 3 people will definitely be more expensive than buying from outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I just bought 3 dozen eggs at $4.99. Scrambled eggs and soft boiled eggs for lunch everyday for just $0.28 (2 eggs)! Muahahahaha!

    Dinner will still remain that expensive though.

    ReplyDelete