Saturday 12 November 2011

Rant 891 / This Blog Used To Be Much Less Serious

MEANWHILE IN DENMARK...

















RIP

Sarah Jessica Parker 1965-2011















This is even better than Persona 4 itself.











Skyrim is awesome. Bugs ruin the experience though. For my bro playing on his 3-year-old laptop, they include frequent crashes, like when he loots stuff.

Personally I've only encountered a single bug, likely because my PC is just that good that most bugs get squashed by the brute power of my processor.

Nah, I really have no idea why I see fewer bugs.

That bug is in the tunnel in the very beginning of the game where you are escaping from the dragon. Down in the underground path where there is a stream, there is one part where I could get stuck while trying to jump up the rocks.

I'm so glad the console commands work and are easily found on Google, so I just used "tcl" to toggle clipping to make myself fly through the obstacle.

Of course I turned that back on after that because I don't want to ruin my experience by cheating through my very first playthrough.

Cheating or even reading walkthroughs are forbidden by myself for first playthroughs of most games. I always try to play games as the developers intended, then look for aids to explore the game deeper.

So far I've been playing as a Wood Elf archer. Initially I wanted to be a plain archer, maybe with some mediocre Smithing skills to get great equipment.

Then I realized the most interesting way to play as an archer is to be a sneaky sniper. That's my opinion anyway.

This is because the stealth detection by the AI is quite horrendous. The first time I found that out was when I was fighting Draugrs in the first sidequest in the second town I go to, the first town being the one that got destroyed by the dragon.

I was in sneaking mode and roughly 2m away from the spot I fired from. The draugr came running to the spot, turned around and walked back... right in front of me in my terrible hiding spot that was just a concave hole in the wall.

The undead's head was even looking at me while it was turning.

Seriously, wtf?

Or maybe Wood Elves looked like dead bodies. I don't know.

Whatever the reason may be, what I'm sure of is that Sneaking is very easy to level up in Skyrim. Even easier than Archery even if you're an archer who uses the bow in close-quarter combat like I do.

The only catch to this way of handling combat is that archery really takes some practice because the arrows have a realistic arc... or at least it's kinda realistic because it doesn't take into account the wind.











It's sad. The quiet old lady who was always lying in her bed next to my mum's with her eyes open is gone. She seemed so depressed throughout the times I was there. She was the one who asked for my help to move her leg.

My mum said she was moved to a solitary ward. She wasn't aware of that the room was for patients to spend their final nights with their family until I told her.

But it's strange. She didn't seem tired usually; mostly she just laid there staring at the walls or the floor. I didn't think she'd be dying so soon. Maybe the problem is in my mum's memory.

The place is so depressing. I go there everyday and stay for at least an hour because I had to try to distract her from the general dead atmosphere in that place.

The staff there are friendly and try to attend to their needs as quickly as they could but they don't stay in the wards all the time.

And when they're not around, I imagine it must be like living in a morgue.

Maybe I should see if I could get her back home even though she gets better care there.

I don't know.

I can't take care of her like they do, and if anything happens to her at home, maybe if she somehow falls and injures herself trying to walk, the doctors aren't 5 minutes away like it is in the hospice.

As for her condition, it's evidently getting worse gradually. Her speech is sometimes incoherent now and she takes some time to make certain logical connections.

For example, on Friday she was unable to realize I won't be able to know our gross income for last month until Monday because the employee whose relative is our accountant won't come with the documents until Monday. It took several attempts at rephrasing it before she finally understood I won't be able to tell her on Saturday.

The gross income is important to her because it's basically her monthly performance report, since nothing we sell right now came from me. In other words, it's pactically the basis of her personal pride.

I don't mind letting her get involved with work because it helps to distract her from her surroundings. If not for that, I wouldn't let her think about it, not at this point of her life.

Mainly it's that really pathetic patient on the opposite bed who keeps whining all the time. Maybe it's really painful, I don't know, but she always moans in pain whenever I'm there and absolutely never realizes the button is right next to her hand.

She could just press it to alert the nurses at any time.

And she's on morphine now. Started a day or two ago. Never stopped her intermittent moans.

Maybe she's got a really tragic story, but as long as I'm unaware of it, she would always appear very annoying to me.

Just call a frickin nurse to increase her dosage and go back to sleep.

Or maybe not.

Sometimes the nurses don't do that and call a doctor instead. Happened yesterday. The doctor came in and asked her what sort of pain (acute pain or ache?) and where and why?

She only knew where the pain was and nothing else.

It was a pretty pointless visit. In the end the doctor did something quietly and left.

Sometimes the nurses also ignore her moans when they pass the door. Maybe she's been doing it so much they mistook it for part of the local ambience. I don't know.

Of course I don't say anything aloud about it there, just in case she really does have a tragic story. Maybe she's got brain injuries or something in addition to perhaps terminal cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment