Tuesday 8 November 2011

Rant 889 / Predatory Instinct

An app that syncs with GPS to change the phone to Silent mode and back when travelling in and out of pre-specified areas would be really nice.

I forgot to change it back to General mode the other day and missed work-related calls from two people. Only remembered about the phone late at night and it was already too late.

Or maybe there already is one and I just haven't found it yet.










Learnt about the Terraria Server Client recently so I tried it today. Very nice. I'm now in almost total control of the server on my PC which two friends join everyday (or night on workdays). Only feature I wish it has is the ability to undo damages without having to rebuild anything manually.

The Hellevator is complete. Apparently that's what it's called, according to the Terraria wiki.

Nothing much happening below. I've got enough hellstone to get the complete Molten Armour set plus all the weapons except for the bow. I've even got the gun.

Killed Skeletron with Vic and explored the Dungeon but I feel it's too much work for the loots, even though there are more of them than anywhere else.

I'm... running out of things to do. I find that I don't actually care about great weapons since it's not like there are monsters I can't handle with the current Molten set.

I've even visited the four edges of the 2D world.

The most interesting feature of the game, IMO, was the exploration. All the work for the equipment was to allow me to explore without dying.

Now I think I've seen everywhere the game has to offer.

All I've got now is build new stuff. Vic's getting a floating jungle on our tower and Ivan's been screwing around with lava.














So I realized that I made a major mistake in my first order of goods when I told my mum about it. She's still close to normal now.

Nothing I can do about it. Ordering more to cover the mistake isn't worth it. Just got to avoid this again.

Third day now and I noticed memory problems. The biggest was how she has forgotten that my bro used to cry a lot as a baby and a toddler.

She's probably aware of it due to my reactions but she seems to have accepted that.

At least she still talks normally and ate the sushi and sashimi I bought before going there. Still can't stand. Just sitting upright makes her dizzy.

My bro and I went to visit her yesterday and we noticed that.

She was trying to get to the bathroom to pass motion because the first time she did it in her diapers it made the room stink.

Still does but when the nurses changed her diapers while I was there, I noticed they used plenty of air freshener during the process.

She's the only one who eats healthily in that ward so it's only her who causes the room to stink.

The thought is certainly depressing.

According to the doctors on the first day, the intestines are usually one of the first body parts to shut down in dying people because that's among the least important organs. Therefore they can't eat and don't mind being starved.

In fact if you force food down their throats, they could very easily puke. In their weakened state, the vomit would likely go down into their lungs, causing infection and giving the doctors a new major headache.

So when a person gets so weak he/she stops eating, you can be sure it's almost over.

The old lady next to her can't even communicate properly in any way and she needs help just to turn her body while lying in bed.

I found that out only because she called out to me and tried to get me to lift her leg.

When a person sleeps on the right side, the left leg would curl up. She couldn't even curl her leg in that position.

That was the first time she asked me for help. The next time, I couldn't tell what she wanted and neither could my mum, so she pressed the red button for the nurse instead.

Somehow the nurse knew what she wanted despite her extremely vague and weak hand gestures.

Everytime I'm there she just lies there staring at nothing. Eats very little, almost nothing, even when her sons visit her with food and presumably her granddaughter.

Incredibly depressed, just waiting to die.

The third lady in the ward is suffering from chronic pain and is constantly under some sort of anaesthesia or something. Wakes up once in while to call out in Mandarin for a doctor to help with her pain despite the red button lying next to her hand on the bed.

She does get up to eat what her sons buy, although that does nothing to convince me she's actually aware of much.

Seeing her gives me an idea of what to expect.

The only real person in the ward is my mum. The rest are practically dead.

Fortunately the lady with the insanely thick makeup visited her today just before I was about to leave to cook dinner for my bro and his gf. Moreoever she has a phone, so I don't think she's too bored. Hopefully.

To me that place, however bright both the environment and the nurses are, is very depressing. Still, that's the best place she could be right now.

I like how attentive the nurses are; I guess that's where the money goes to.

From what I've seen, there are probably more nurses than wards, and each ward is usually not fully occupied (5 beds). There are also a few rooms with just a single bed, but I think those are the rooms the social worker at NUH told me about where the families can stay with the dying patients during their final days.


No comments:

Post a Comment