Sunday 27 February 2011

Rant 736 / To Be Or Not To Be Asian

Malaysia should really stop marketing itself as "truly Asia". I don't steal TVs and water heaters as souvenirs when I stay in hotels.

Or am I truly Asian?

This is making me feel so un-Asian.

Ok, the next time I stay in a hotel I'm going to steal the bathtub.

Time to study some old David Copperfield shows.








Gaddafi is giving out guns to civilians who support him. I don't know what he is trying to do. Obviously he knows the consequences of this action whether or not he wins, eg lots of magically disappearing guns.

That's only one in the myriad of possibilities. There is no way he can benefit from this. He loses and gets ousted or he holds on to a piece of land that's as easy to control as Somalia. Either way, he's fcked now.

Game over, man. Game over.

And his son supports the idea. What on earth is he thinking? Does he hope to inherit the country at all? Or maybe it's actually true that...


Ever heard of win-win? Well, this is a lose-lose situation. Neither side is winning here.

The arms dealers, on the other hand,










Watched Endhiran recently. It's the Indian movie aka "Robot".

Of course I skipped the dancing parts. It requires an acquired taste, IMO.

The plot was not what I expected. Given that I haven't watched a single Bollywood film before this one, I can't say if it's bad. For all I know this sort of plot is exactly the standard in Bollywood.

What I mean is that I don't find myself rooting for the good guys in the movie. In fact, the professor dude was more of an anti-hero to me.

The entire cause of the conflict in this story was the immature/foolish behaviour displayed by 2 well-educated men. Not the robot "villain"; it was the ultimate victim.

Hence the story of this film was closer to the ones in Fallout: New Vegas than those of most movies, primarily because there really isn't a side that is completely white or black. Everyone made mistakes and the ending wasn't exactly a happy one.

As for the effects, they are great but could have been better. Gigantic stuff can be pretty epic but the huge "robot formation" was not nearly as impressive as the amount of effort required to make it. There needs to be more exaggeration, which I think they could learn from Japanese anime. I don't know if it's just me, but I find that the Japanese are great at using exaggeration. For example, the giant robot could have stomped the ground and created an earthquake instead of smashing stuff one by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment