Thursday 10 February 2011

Rant 723 / Silently Warm

A Mass Effect movie is now close to being a reality!! Best of all, they're having a good team of people to handle the movie, so I don't expect a terrible disappointment.

The production company, Legendary Pictures, is the one that produced The Dark Knight and Spider-Man, both of which were pretty good films. They will be working with Avi Arad, founder of Marvel Studios, and his son as the producers of the film.

The screenwriter is Mark Protosevich, who wrote I Am Legend and Thor.

Not expecting a big screen remake of the trilogy exactly but I wonder how different it's going to be. Maybe it won't even be a remake of anything. Maybe the film is going to be the ending of the series instead of ME3, which makes a lot more sense to me than my initial guess. Obviously they won't do what the Japanese do - make a 90-minute-long version of an episode and call it a movie.








Bad Company 2 is making me more nauseous than other FPS. I rarely feel nauseous significantly when I play Empires, maybe only get a slight reduce in appetite. Fallout 3 and New Vegas makes me feel full all the time which, in turn, makes me forget to eat.

But Bad Company 2 goes significantly further. Fortunately I never hit the degree of actually puking but it gets really uncomfortable. What I suspect, what I've noticed and hate is that my view seems to be constantly zoomed in too far, like everything is slightly magnified.

Apparently that's the same reason others have complained about. I've just changed the FOV (field of view) in the "settings" file in "My Documents" folder to 75 from 55. Soon I'll know if that works.



It did.

Found that I was wrong about one thing though. Those sniper rifles aren't all as easy to use as I thought. When I tried the sniper class in multiplayer, the one I was given moved when I looked through the scope. So it's just those in singleplayer that are noob-friendly.

As for the singleplayer campaign, the ending was not so much a cliffhanger as it was an abrupt interruption. I felt like I had just reached the climax of the story when the credits rolled. Almost no plot was ended except the villain's, and his role was pretty small in the big picture.

This is forgiveable since this game was probably designed as a multiplayer game and little attention was paid to the singleplayer aspect.

But one thing that irked me was how there were pretty significant bugs in the latest version even though Bad Company 3 is about to be released. For example, there was one bug that I encountered in the mission "No One Gets Left Behind" that caused me to get stuck on the cliff overlooking the enemy base. Apparently it was because I didn't land in a clearing initially (that was an objective) and flew into the trees instead. The only way I could solve this problem was to restart the entire mission.

That just proved again that EA lived to up to its reputation of paying very little attention to its games once they're released.

Another thing I noticed is that sometimes, my mind plays songs from the 50s that I usually listen to in the last 2 Fallout games when I play FPS games. I think I'm unconsciously associating those songs with FPS games, which I've done before multiple times in the past with different music and games.







Finally reached the part where I killed Mr House in New Vegas. It felt bad. He wasn't doing anything wrong and he didn't try to hurt me. Worse, he saved my life. But I've already got his ending once so for the sake of variety, I had to run past all his Securitrons and kill his helpless physical body. It was better than leaving him alive if we take into account his physical condition (he was over 260 and was kept alive by machines). Once I took control of his robot army, he'd literally have nothing.

With the aid of the hilarious Yes Man, I did that and upgraded them all to Mark II.

Yet nobody respects me. Caesar still wants me to be his errand boy. The NCR still wants me to do their dirty work. The Omertas tried to confront me for destroying their weapon stash and getting rid of their special employees. Worst of all, I couldn't just send my missile-firing, grenade-launching, single-wheeled soldiers of steel into their homes and wipe out their entire families.

And they said Fallout: New Vegas was an open-ended game with free choices.

Also, Vault 11 was sad.










Will we ever see Google Sun?


Or Google Mars for that matter?







Why is this blog getting more visitors from Europe and South America? I don't remember there being this many before. On the other hand, few Asians ever visit this blog. I can't use the "they don't speak English" excuse because even Russians have visited this blog this week, and Russia is known to be not a good choice for travellers who don't speak Russian. Eleven pageviews from Russia this week.

Even more surprisingly, the only Asians to have visited this blog yesterday were... Iraqis. 4 view counts. What. Which made me wonder... how fast is their broadband?

So I googled "iraq broadband".

Right away I get 3 ads for iraqi ISPs.

TigrisNet WiFi cards are sold in the following bandwidth levels — 64kb, 96kb, and 128kb, and are available in ten-hour and one month subscriptions. TigrisNet WiFi is an affordable yet reliable service for individuals and small offices, with minimal to no equipment cost. Roaming in all major cities in Iraq.

That's interesting.

But what about land lines? Cable?

None of the 3 ISPs, provide cable broadband services. The next logical step was to add "cable" to the search term, as in "iraq cable broadband".

Nothing. Wow. Iraq doesn't have cable broadband and yet has three wireless ISPs.

Just to confirm it, I changed the search term to "iraq wired broadband".

Nope. Really nothing. So the country skipped one step and dived straight into wireless technology. Cool, but it means we won't be seeing Iraqis in online games like SC2 any time soon. Too bad. Having a Middle Easterner in the GSL would cause the viewership to explode.





The Stats page is also showing me the number of internet browsers out there. Safari, Opera, I've heard of. But PBSTB? Flock? handycafeCFW?

Absolutely no idea what PBSTB stands for. Google isn't giving me anything.

handycafe seems to be a software for cybercafes that helps owners manage their PCs. Since it does content filtering and acts as a firewall, it probably got listed because someone visited this blog from a cybercafe that uses this programme.

Flock is a "social browser". From what I see on their website, it's probably just a browser with toolbars for FB and Twitter. Everyone's got to eat, right? Can't blame them for trying.







Just tried Nestle's Vanilla Cashew Delight. Didn't like the chocolate but the rest is pretty good. I could probably just crush some cashews next time and sprinkle them on some vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment