Friday 4 February 2011

Rant 720 / Great-Aunt = Grandaunt

There is still lag in the busiest spots in New Vegas. Aw.....

For example, the Atomic Wrangler. The way I used to deal with it was to look down but now I don't have to. It's a noticeable FPS lag but still a bit away from being described as an "annoyance".


This run, I'm going to specialize in energy weapon. During the first run I was into melee but that didn't work so well in the beginning since I only play Hardcore (everything heals me gradually instead of instantly). For the second run I was into conventional guns. That was fun, especially since this category has the best sniper rifle AFAIK but the game didn't feel so sci-fi anymore after a while.

So now I'm with laser guns and plasma rifles. Together with the perk "Vigilant Recycler" it feels pretty easy. This allows me to recreate more ammo from the "drained" ammo the guns leave behind when I fire them.

Also with the new patch, I'm much tougher than I remembered. Energy weapons used to seriously hurt me but now I'm able to easy run towards those Fiends north of the Strip and kill everyone without using any items while wearing the Space Suit (light) armour and the beret used in the photo in the last rant.

I should probably raise the difficulty again since the game seems to have been nerfed.






Thus begins my apprenticeship. Only beginning with drawing a the basic shapes of the hood, sleeve and shirt plus the terms for the measurements (in Chinese). The assignment was to create the order form for a hooded jacket. I didn't give any creative input since I had no idea what to say.

After drawing the first draft by hand, I realized I could do it faster with MSPaint instead. So I did. Made another 4 drafts before I printed one that was good enough to be faxed over to the factory.






Some relatives from Malaysia came to visit my mum today. I didn't even know they were my relatives until yesterday. Not close at all. The late great-grandaunt I mentioned before, who passed away in Penang some years back, had a godson. His mother, her brother, her children and their children came over to visit us. No blood relations but they were pretty close to my great-grandaunt and hence my parents. In fact they're the only relatives who tend to her grave now during Qing Ming and etc.

I'll have to say this is quite confusing, which is why I have to type this down before my memory blurs.

His mother is my 叔太, which in English is also "great-grandaunt", though she's only in her 70s. Her brother is my 曾舅公 (since I'm unable to find out the term for the male counterpart of "太"), ie "great-granduncle". Her female children are my 舅婆,ie grandaunts. Those 2 kids they brought were my aunt (姑姑, although in Cantonese I should call her 姑姐) and uncle (叔叔/阿叔).

Wait...

I've a teenage aunt and uncle in Malaysia.

To be more specific, a ten-year-old uncle.






I had to ask my mum about all these because her version is slightly different from what is now available on the Internet which are made by the people in the PRC. For example, the more polite Cantonese term for 舅婆 is "kam" 婆, and the tone for "kam" is the same as the one for "舅". I have no idea how it's pronounced in Mandarin, hence I have no way to find the character for it. My mum wrote it down for me in Traditional Chinese and I couldn't find it in my Chinese dictionary, which is in Simplified. It's supposed to be 女字旁加个"禁".

Also, she had to study this in Primary 3 in HK. The terms for everyone in the family tree were, apparently, part of the school curriculum.

Anyway this kinda irritated her. Had to promise her I would only ask her once until I encounter more relatives whom I've never met. Which was true since I was typing it here while asking her.

Us westernised people have to be grateful that all we have to learn are "aunts", "uncles", "cousins" and adding "great" and/or "grand" for all the older ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment