Friday 11 February 2011

Rant 724 / La Brioche

For some reason I can't transfer my videos from my camcorder to my PC. The problem lies in the camcorder because I've tried it on 2 different computers now.

The issue is that the discs are unreadable to the PC. I can watch the videos on the camcorder but they appear blank (and full) when the camcorder is connected to the computer or when I place the DVD directly in my computer's DVD drive.

The camcorder is correctly connected because this was done before I could download the Picture Motion Browser software which enables users to do exactly what I've been trying to do. When I downloaded it, it checked for the camcorder's model and stuff before it could begin, so it's confirmed that the connection is fine.

Which stumped me.

The discs are readable only to the camera.


Oh wait... the programme isn't updated. Strange that they don't just let me download the latest version straight away or show me a list of patches on the download page.







Onion News finally writes something that's actually funny, after such a long absence of good humour. I'm not saying it's hilarious though.







What is the right age for marriage?

Who knows?

In ancient times, even unborn children can be engaged. I wonder how it felt to be a baby boy married to an adult woman (of course, an "adult" in those days could be any girl who's past her first period). Must have been pretty good when he reached puberty, then pretty bad when he grew older. Don't forget that in those days, they didn't have beauty products or even bras in China. Worse still if they worked in the sun all day, eg farmers.

No wonder they allowed polygamy.

As for now, things are different. Personally I think the practical view should be taken. In this case, one needs to consider at what age children will begin to really spend money and make it coincide with the rise of the parents' careers.

Suppose you expect your kids to discover the joys of buying unnecessary stuff by the age of 20. Even if you don't, there's still university (girls slightly earlier, boys slightly later). Usually, careers should reach their peaks by the age of 45 to 50. Then the right age for childbirth would be about 25-30 and marriage would be roughly the same.

The problem I see here is that there are just too many parents who aren't ready for children but think they are. For example, there are parents who seem to treat the welfare of their children as something they do only because they have to. In this case, they hate for work overwhelms their love for their children.

It may be partly a case of immaturity, but it can also be due to laziness. Either way, it points to the fact that they are relatively spoilt. Then again, I don't think it can be helped in the modern societies.

I'm not saying you can't get married without ever having children. You certainly can, except in Asia in general, that's kinda uncommon.





I feel like making bread, have been since Thursday, but I can't. I'm planning to make some traditional French loaf again but that takes hours to make. Missing the smell of hot bread fresh from the oven. Good exercise for the arms too since after the first rise I'd need to squeeze out all the air by kneading it hard, then again after the second rise.

In between I have to wait at least 2 hours for the first rise and less for the second.

Oh well, I think I'll do it on Sunday, after the cleaner tidies up the kitchen. Last week she left a few carrots hidden somewhere and nobody remembered about them. By Monday the kitchen was filled with flies and we had to make a mess by searching everywhere for the source, which we had expected to be a dead lizard or something. After I sprayed parts of the kitchen with insecticide, nobody wants to clean up those parts.

Anyway I can't do it because I would not have been able to focus on doing it. Unfinished assignments and tests today and tomorrow. Multitasking is fine on the computer but not in the real world. Things don't get burnt in the computer.





WHAT?! A HOLOGRAPHIC KEYBOARD IS ALREADY OUT?!???

OMG! Since 2006! I'm so embarrassed that I wasn't aware of it sooner. Why didn't this ever got popular??

From what I've dug up on this product, there seems to be 3 reasons:

1) It's expensive. A normal keyboard costs a few dollars but that costs over $100.
2) Needs a change of battery every few hours.
3) Lag. Together with the fact that you can't feel the key being pushed down, it takes a long split second to tell if you have mistyped anything.

4) This is purely a guess from what I imagine it would be like. Since there are no keys to press, your fingers might tend to stay close to the surface. When travelling between keys, it might mistake the action as typing all the letters your fingers went over. If you keep your fingers high, you might hit the surface hard. That's not going to be comfortable if you're typing an entire report or essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment