Wednesday 16 February 2011

Rant 728 / Insipid

Finished Alternativa. It's not a difficult game.

I said it was bad the last time. I was wrong. It was worse than I expected. The ending was probably supposed to be a cliffhanger but instead turned out to be an epic anticlimax. Honestly, I've played better Flash games on Newgrounds than that. I'm so happy I didn't fork out US$25 for such a piece of junk.

To be fair, it had an excellent main menu and start, but the plot just never gets any deeper. Oh right, it did... at the final part. The moment it got a little exciting, THE END. WHAT?

It would have been better if they had scraped the cinematics and lengthened the game.






This is incredible! The Square Enix Complete Pack on sale on Steam costs US$75 (*1.3 = almost S$100) and contains everything SE has available on Steam, including:

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition
Front Mission Evolved with all DLCs
Hitman
Hitman 2
Just Cause
Just Cause 2 with all DLCs
Kane and Lynch
Kane and Lynch 2 with all DLCs
Supreme Commander 2 with DLC

Those are the better games on the list. Total savings: US$489.82

This is going to be available till 20th Feb. Too bad I'm not interested in most of the games on the list. I know they're good but they're just not my cup of tea.








Started on Majesty 2: Monster Kingdom. Skipped the original game, Majesty 2, and went straight to this expansion.

This game is a RTS game with a twist - you only handle the big picture. Think about what it's like to be a medieval king. You don't tell your soldiers which guy to attack first when you send them there. Instead, you tell them where to go and what to do (eg attack, plunder, kill everyone).

Same with this game. You are given 4 commands, or flags in this game, Fear, Attack, Defend and Explore. By placing these flags on the points you want these to be done, you're telling your men what you want them to do. On these flags, you place bounties so that the more you spend, the more guys will want to do it.

But the game is hard. Either that or I'm retarded. Nevertheless I'm still stuck on the second mission after 5 attempts. The first mission was deceivingly easy but this second one wasn't.

The best I could do was defend my base but I could never spare anything for the Lich's structure, so I keep letting it be destroyed after about 40 days.

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've tried building 2 towers to defend myself on my first attempt. I got overrun.

I then tried with 4 towers, 2 north and 2 south. The 2 northern ones eventually got overrun.

On my third attempt I built 4 towers in the same manner again, but with all my focus on the north. Eventually I wiped out all the portals (monster spawn points) there in about 35 days. My south was close to being overrun when the Lich thing got destroyed.

My fourth attempt began with a big focus on the Trader Post to the northeast. Again 4 towers for defence and with the extra money from a quicker Trader Post, I upgraded my Castle to level 3 for the extra tax collectors and guards. One tower on each side was upgraded. Base was fine this time but again, Lich's ritual thing was downed.

My fifth attempt had 5 towers on my base, 2 north and 3 south and I focused on getting an early Trader Post again. No upgrades. I just focused on resurrecting my dead guys instead of spending the money on upgrading buildings. By 35 days my south lost 2 towers and I had to rebuild them. North held just fine since one of the south towers was so close to the centre it helped both sides. I even spent some money to get my guys to defend the Lich. It still went down by 45 days.

I couldn't spare the cash for towers for the Lich! I could barely hold with 5 towers in my base!

...

Sixth attempt was much better now that I realized the impacts of the item shop's items and the pub. Still, I only lasted 51 days. Barely held my base, couldn't hold the Lich thing. The furthest I got was 2 towers around it and over 2k in bounty for defence.

This is getting annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment