Friday 29 October 2010

Rant 654 / The Idiot With The Glasses

Yes! I managed to kill the Vulpes guy in Nipton after he dared me to do it. No idea why this guy is special now. I remember him being mentioned by the last Legion boss of the game at the dam but I'm not sure why.

It was actually easier than I thought. All I did was stand behind him, start VATS and blew his head away with my 9mm SMG. The VATS part did away with 80% of his HP (I repaired the MG to 75% before the fight MUAHAHAHA) and killed him right after VATS ended.

The rest I just kited while spamming Sarsaparilla and Stimpaks. Didn't need any companions (sent ED-E away to prevent it from getting killed) or boosting items. What I needed was ammo. After killing everything all I had left was my 10mm pistol. Used up over 130 9mm rounds and 15 ECP from my Laser RCW.

Quite easy IMO.

But it made Legion Assassins come after me. Met two soon after Nipton while waiting for ED-E to return to Primm to recruit it again. Also kited these guys. I like how they are only good at melee and they would attack me in the open. Too easy to kite. The thing about melee is that you have to pause a little before swinging your weapon. I could get out of the weapon's range in that split second if I wear light armour just by holding S.

It's kind of retarded actually. Theoretically speaking, I can kill an entire Legion army if I have enough space and bullet. Except for the higher-ranking soldiers, eg Praetorians. Those are fast.





I've completely forgotten about these screenshots I took at HELIOS One, which is called the "Nevada Solar One" IRL. Just noticed them just now when I opened the game folder to fix some meshes. The following were taken during a conversation with the scientist put in charge of the solar power plant by the NCR, named "Fantastic".


The following are for the 2nd question the cursor is pointing at.




For the third question, his answer was:





Finally,


I think it's obvious how successful they are in restarting the power plant.













Was reading abut Mustafa Kemal Atatürk during one meal and was impressed by his career. I thought LKY was pretty amazing in what he has done for Singapore, but Atatürk would have outshined him if Turkey and Singapore were geographically closer and if Atatürk hadn't died in 1938.

I kind of skipped his military career, which I supposed must have been just as impressive given that he was described as "an extremely capable military officer" right in the beginning of the Wiki article.

Unlike Singapore, Turkey had to fight for its independence. Worse is that it was a 3-front war, with Turkey fighting the French, Greeks and Armenians. Atatürk was the one who made a new Parliament out of the ruins of the Ottoman Empire and told it to build a new army for this.

But of course nothing is perfect. The country achieved independence but was unable to regain the oil-rich ex-Ottoman lands from the British. Atatürk didn't really give up on them but it seemed the right opportunity just didn't arise during his lifetime.

After that, in addition to fighting the threat of Communism from the USSR, his northern neighbour, he also managed to prevent Fascism from Italy from taking hold in his country.

Singapore only had to worry about Communism from China.

Then he modernized his country's education system and and promoted the idea of compulsory education for girls, which in a traditionally Muslim country must have taken some effort.

I'm not sure about this issue in Singapore in the past. It probably wasn't a big deal since girls schools were opened a long time ago, like RGS.

The next big thing was that Atatürk forced a change in dress code for all Turkish people. They were all used to wearing the fez since the Ottoman days, but he made it compulsory for all civil servants to wear Western-style hats. Those were just the first group of people and the first part of the dress code to be changed.

I'm not sure if this was just about modernisation. It feels more like Westernisation to me. But I guess during that era both terms were synonymous.

After that was more moves to support women's suffrage and removing the influence of the Muslim clergy in state matters. I think he was pretty successful in separating religion from the state, especially if one compares this with Turkey's neighbours like Iran.

His most incredible achievement in my opinion was in introducing a brand new set of Turkish alphabets to replace the Arabic script.

Apparently Arabic is extremely hard to learn and with this new alphabets, literacy rates soared from a measly 10% to 70% in 2 years.

2 years! He made 60% of his countrymen able to read and write in 2 frickin years!

These alphabets, despite being so easy to learn, weren't the products of years of research like Esperanto. When he asked a group of language experts how long it would take to create these alphabets at first, he was told it would take 3 years.

Somehow it took less than a year.

He had consulted them in the spring of 1928. He publicly announced the alphabets in November the same year. All newspapers and textbooks were forced to convert within two months. The first newspaper to use it began to publish in December.

If his success in regards to the alphabets weren't incredible, I don't know what is.

His foreign policies weren't as interesting. Mostly he tried to keep a low profile and talked his way out of everything. Then again, nobody really wanted to fight before WWII began, and by the time that started he was already dead.

In 1938, he died at the young age of 57. Building a country must have been no easy work.

Too bad his successors sucked and almost ruined his work. I still remember someone joking about the Turkish lira when I was young. In fact it was so bad they had to replace it with a new lira which was simply the old lira minus 6 zeroes. They had to cut 6 zeroes to make the 1.29 lira worth a single USD in 2005. In 2004, one USD could buy 1.35 million lira. This year it has grown to 1.39 lira per US dollar.

Apparently after Atatürk they just couldn't find another strong leader, something he failed at and LKY probably succeeded at. I mean, so far so good, right? Hopefully we won't have to go through the sort of trouble that Turkey experienced after his death. Military coups are never a good sign.













Yesterday on my way to Bedok Camp the cab driver gave me this Buddhist booklet entitled "How to Overcome Your Difficulties" by Ven. Dr. K. Sri Dhammandanda.

I flipped through it a bit, read the quoted words supposedly spoken by Buddha and I was quite surprised to see that a few of them were old stuff I figured out years ago but rephrased.

And I didn't even need to meditate for 6 years under a tree like he did!

On page 2, the quote was:

"From craving springs grief,
from craving springs fear.
For him who is wholly free from craving,
there is no grief, much less fear."


Which I interpret as "desire will give you unhappiness". Didn't I say that everything has a price? That if you want something, you will have to pay for it? (Pay != work.)

The book's interpretation was that "all forms of attachment will end in sorrow." It's true, but I do not agree that this is the full meaning of what the quote is saying. Sometimes, it can begin in sorrow too, and sometimes you have to pay halfway through.

Unfortunately an average guy cannot be completely free from attachments. It is human nature to want certain things, like breathing, eating and companionship. These, too, have prices of their own, some of which may be hidden till the moment of payment.

But apparently certain Buddhist monks are able to avoid even these basic desires. For example, in a documentary I watched on Discovery yesterday, it was mentioned that some American scientists did experiment on Buddhist monks by soaking them in ice water. When they came back after a few hours, the water was steaming. Steaming, which I presume to mean much higher than the normal body temperature range.

If they can control their body temperature and environmental influences like that, it is not too far-fetched to say they can probably control their hunger and thirst.













So there's this discussion on why the younger Singaporeans are no longer feeling like they belong here. This is probably the beginning of how the culture of Singapore becomes overwhelmed by foreign influences, when being Singaporean isn't being Singaporean anymore.

Strange that I've never felt it in the first place. Then again, I wasn't born here.

Still, this is a good place to be in if one can afford it.

Me, I'm actually unsure about this in the long term. Translators don't make much here in Singapore.

And with the retirement age rising, it just means people are going to reap their CPF rewards later in life as policies change in the future to adapt to this change.

Yes sure we're going to get more. That's a good thing really. People in the US are now worrying that their version of the CPF isn't going to provide them with enough money when they retire. We probably won't have to worry about that. Hopefully.

Problem is, how many of us are going to live long enough to need the extra benefits?

Life expectancy isn't enough for me. Just because the life expectancy is 70 here doesn't mean I will be immortal and invulnerable till 70 years after my birth. It's probably better to know how many percent of Singaporeans live beyond 70, 80 or even 100. Nobody ever tells us those numbers.

As for the feeling of alienation at home, it's probably inevitable anyway. It's not like we have a choice. I can't expect Singaporeans to seriously produce 5000 Annabel Chongs spontaneously. Other than making us exceptional as a people, that would have helped with the local birth rates too. Too bad they can't do it.

And who's going to build your homes?

...

Why not the Bangladeshis? We've been hiring them for, like, decades to do the shitty jobs. Why do we have to keep importing foreign talent from mainly one country? I'm also pretty sure lots of Malaysians and Indonesians who aren't already here would love to work here if given the opportunity. The government's been setting quotas for all sorts of population-related things, like the way they spread people of each race in HDB flats so the minorities don't clump together.

Why not do the same for our beloved foreign talents too?

But if things go on like that, national pride will erode. Like those sports medals that are won by Singaporeans with Chinese single-word (given) names. Are Singaporeans really proud of those?

So, we've got our homes built. Except our homes are beginning to stop feeling like our homes.

How long before we practically become just an extension of the PRC?

How long before a new SAR is born?

But it's going to be great! All Singaporeans, as citizens of the PRC, will get greater access to the humongous market of the mainland. Who's going to build your homes then? The Tibetans and North Koreans, of course! They're probably even cheaper!












I didn't know North Korea exports ginseng. Apparently it does and it's pretty good. But recently prices have been driven up by traders China.

No comments:

Post a Comment