Friday 8 October 2010

Rant 639 / Meine Chinois Esta Very 爛

So the Western world is crying for mercy. Sure they are.

Zoellick said history shows "beggar thy neighbor" policies don't work

I'm not sure if that is the case. What about the time when China was known as 东亚病夫Sick man of Asia)? Everyone else got wealthier then, right? Even the US got something out of the Unequal Treaties.

"Beggar thy neighbour" in economics refers to how a country solves its own economic problems at the expense of another country. Maybe there is a more specific description that is more accurate but I don't know that.

The only difference between this definition and the example I quoted is that those powers that took from China back then didn't have major economic problems to deal with. They just took because it's there.

Like I have said a long time ago, rules protect you only from those who play by the same rules. This is actually from a book but I can't remember which.

The Western world is crying for mercy. Time to brush up my Chinese.













I never thought that Burger King had such a troubled history. I've always felt they have better products than McDonald's but the latter just has a better marketing department. For example, BK's grilled chicken burger is over 9000 times better than McChicken, one of the bestselling burgers of McDonald's, at least in Singapore.

Also, IMO the Whopper Double completely pwns the Mega Mac. McDonald's beef patties tend to be much drier and tasteless than BK's. Having 4 patties in a burger doesn't make the meat better, only more. Adding more compost to a compost pile doesn't make a diamond, only a lot of compost. I was actually going to say something similar to compost but I thought this is slightly more relevant due to the recent news about SengKang.

Anyway, BK apparently has been suffering from a series of problems involving poor management and leadership for decades now and it's only in the 21st century that the new owners actually did anything successful in saving the brand.

Like I've said on multiple occasions in the past, I wish they'd come up with the idea of starting a delivery service in my lifetime. I'll probably never order McDonald's ever again except for breakfast. The current BK breakfast menu just doesn't have anything as epic as the Big Breakfast Deluxe. The BBD is basically a normal Big Breakfast plus a set of Hotcakes minus a piece of Hotcake. A pretty good deal if you're ordering breakfast for two, unless one of the two is me.

What's stopping them from providing the home delivery service anyway? Not enough BK stores around Singapore to cover the entire island? But that's exactly why I want the delivery service!



Personally I like delivery because the delivery charge is usually close to the transport fares. I always order for my family, so even if we all take the bus to the closest fast food restaurant which is McDonald's at Singapore Polytechnic, the total bus fare would be about $2. The delivery charge of McDonald's is $3. Plus if it's breakfast, I feel that the extra dollar is still cheaper than the trouble of having to change in the morning, go out to squeeze in a crowded restaurant and get disturbed regularly by that noisy kid at the corner throughout the meal.

At home during weekends I can enjoy a BBD slowly while watching a movie in my room which is still cool from having the air conditioner switched on the entire night. This alone is worth $3.













Another quote from this website (used to be at Twitter but he upgraded):

"You don't have to be good to succeed. You just gotta be the least shitty option. Example: We're eating at The Olive Garden."

Words of wisdom.













What did I type in the last rant that was so interesting? I'm again surprised by the stats. 19 views for Rant 638 while the Zalgo rant only had less than 10 views in the last 24 hours?

Or is it because it's Friday? If so, why only that rant?

Also, I noticed that a lot of you visit this blog at around 3pm Singapore time and only today, which is a Friday. Stop slacking in the office just because this is the last weekday. XD













Singapore is on the front page of Reuters? Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment