Saturday 9 October 2010

Rant 641 / They Did Not Split The Lands And Mark The Borders So Clearly In Ancient Times

Today I learnt that the small, long fish that contains lots of roe and usually comes fried are called capelins. That's only because my mum bought a packet of it a few days ago. The last time I had it at home was when one of my mother's sisters came over for my father's funeral. The last time I had it at all was at this Japanese restaurant, Suki Sushi at Cineleisure iirc. Either they didn't have an English name on the menu or I didn't bother to remember it when I ordered it.

Even though I have visited supermarkets so many times, I have never looked at the fresh seafood section. The reason is that preparing fresh seafood is considered high in difficulty on my list and, to be honest, out of my league. Furthermore, they are expensive and cannot be wasted, so I can't just do anything I want with them and throw them away if they end up tasting bad.

That's why all the recipes I mentioned are mostly cheap (bread, burgers, bolognese sauce, bbq corn) and not much of a waste if I make mistakes.

So it was only today that I learnt that this packet of 10 capelins costs S$7.90. That's a whopping S$0.80 per fish, uncooked. I can't afford to waste that kind of money. That would be kind of close to the level of fucking around with caviar.

The cooking process is simple but imo not exactly easy. I just cover them in starch and deep fry twice before sprinkling five-spice powder on them. My problem is that I suck at judging oil temperature. IMO this takes cooking experience, experience one gains from frying cheaper ingredients. After all, no newbie chef begins his career by cooking abalone and shark fins.

Worse is that frying at home is a real pain. Even if I disregard the fact that my kitchen floor gets sticky after deep frying food, there's still the job of cleaning up. I'm lazy, so when I cook I try to clean up everything before I shower and eat. When I bake, I just wrap up the foil and dump it in the trash bag. When I stir-fry/boil the pans and pots are easy to clean up quickly.

But when I deep fry there's this hot oil that I cannot get rid of till it cools down, and oil cools down slowly. This forces me to clean up only after eating, when I'm lethargic after a heavy meal and not in the mood for a lot of work. To make things worse, everything is oilier and thus harder to clean properly.












This is... mindblowing. India is fucking up the Commonwealth Games beyond my expectations. One of the mistakes, the "largely empty" stadium due to mistakes in ticket sales, is unacceptable in any case for an event of this sort. And this isn't the only such mistake.

This may be one of the most expensive mistakes India will ever make. It will most likely be a historic event as the most epic fuck-up in the history of sports.

"I think a lot of it has been teething problems and because India has never hosted an event of this scale," sports marketing consultant Indranil Das Blah of Kwan, a consultancy, told AFP.

This is not an excuse. Singapore had never held a F1 race and it managed to host it at night, something no other country has ever done before. And it went perfectly fine.

I think India won't be bidding for the chance to host international events any time soon. It better not.













My PC crashed while I was playing L4D2. My video card crashes pretty often, like at least every other day, but I'm used to it. But this time, it didn't recover. My monitor simply said it was getting no input and went into sleep mode.

My graphics card died, I think.

Hitting the reset button on the computer did nothing, so I hit the power button instead and it turned off.

Now it's working again but I don't know if this is going to be repeated.

Looks like I need to scan my PC and do some maintenance work. Have been neglecting to do that for a long time now since I haven't got annoyed by anything regarding its performance yet.













Sometimes I wonder if people who visit this blog actually know me IRL, other than the BC. I hope not. I'm slightly different outside of my blog, or at least that's what I think I appear to be. But it is not impossible. What if you actually know me IRL but are unaware that I use this alias?

Another reason I don't mention this blog in conversations.













So I was looking at this blog's Stats tab while sailing in UWO when I noticed a few things.

First, I get views from Vic's blog mostly between Friday and Sunday. This means you BC guys mostly come here on weekends and Fridays.

Second, I've been getting more and more views from Facebook. I still have no idea why but today I noticed they mostly go to Rant 167 in which I may have entered my real name. Like I've said before I thought only a few of my closer friends visit this blog so I didn't think much about it then. Now that I know that I'm getting a whole lot more views from complete strangers, I've decided to remove my name from it.

Did you guys search FB for my name to find the link to this blog? Or did someone link that particular rant to something on FB because it's the only rant in my entire blog in which I had entered my name?

The former is more probable because there are multiple (different) links from FB that go to that rant. The latter is also possible because in some of the referral links that rant is Rant 168, eg

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsenorhybrido.blogspot.com%2F2008%2F08%2Frant-168-what-fuck.html&h=a7245

I never leave such mistakes for long. The longest I have left a numbering error uncorrected was about 2 weeks. This means the links are old and may have been created soon after that rant was published.

In any case, my name has been removed from it. There is now almost no link between this blog and my actual identity.












Was thinking about getting the PS2 emulator but later recalled that the graphics look like shit when playing PS2 games on the PC.

I could bring the TV in but that takes some work. However I feel like playing all those SMT games again. Even after 3 runs of the 2 DDS games, I don't remember finishing all the secret bosses. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment