Thursday 7 October 2010

Rant 638 / Minor Nuisances

This is weird. I'm getting better pings on the EU Empires server than the US server.

US server - 300ms
EU (UK) server- 250ms

Wat?

Did Starhub just upgrade their lines or acquired some bandwidth on a cable that goes between Europe and Asia?











Fallout: New Vegas coming in less than 2 weeks!

From the developers' blog:

Occasionally it’s okay to stop trying to complete every one of the over 70 side quests, and 90 free quests and sit a spell to marvel at the sunsets and check out the gleaming spire of The Strip.

Fallout 3 had 17 side quests, 20 unmarked quests and 16 repeatable quests.













Just found out how bad the design and workmanship of my bathroom shelf was when one end was dislodged all of a sudden, dropping all my soap bottles as a result.

Below is what I realized was screwed to my wall.
And below is how I believe the dislodged end was "fixed" to these things.

It was merely hanging by a little screw, and when the metals of the screw and the C-shape thing got rusty and began to wear off, the screw couldn't hang on any longer and fell off when I pressed my soap bottle for soap.

The other end is still secure but how the heck am I supposed to use this now?

I have no choice but to re-watch MacGuyver episodes and try to learn something from him. Not serious about watching MacGuyver shows but I'll probably do something similar to what he did all the time.

First, I should unscrew the secure end to see how that side was fixed to the wall.

...

Hmm... I was slightly wrong. It is worse than I thought. The second picture depicting the screw used to hand the shelf to the wall was more accurate in describing the secure end. The actual design is below:

So when the screw is tightened, both of the screw and the bottom knob-thing were pushing on the C-shape fixture screwed to the wall. The secured end had a large screw so it was well-tightened to force the screw and the lower knob-thing to act as a clamp on the C-shape thing screwed to the wall.

However, the loosened end was not done this way. Below is how it looks:


Only a tiny baby screw was used such that even when tightened to the max only a tiny bit of its tip was exposed. Basically it had been hanging on by a fingernail from the beginning.

This was not done by some random contractor. When our flat was upgraded by HDB, all bathrooms were renovated and they provided their own contractors to do it.

There are other fixtures that they placed in our bathrooms that I've always been unsatisfied about but they have yet to give me problems.

Anyway, are screws that expensive??













Played a bit of L4D2 again on Garena after being reminded of it yesterday. Checked my bro's server list and consulted him since he had bought L4D2 some time ago to play with his gf. Conclusion was to say no to the sale.

I actually tried to buy it this morning before consulting him but my transaction just couldn't get through because "your credit card information was denied by your credit card company". So I called the number for Service Enquiry at the back of my card and after a lengthy discussion, the final result was that the merchant (Steam) was unable to "capture your security code" for some reason.

This reason, I believe, is due to their server overloading, causing problems with their store. So I scanned through the Steam forum and I was right because I was not the only one encountering this problem. Makes sense because there has been a lot of talk about this sale. The viral marketing definitely worked.

After sending a ticket to inform Steam of this problem, I then went over to ask my bro.

Apparently L4D2 isn't very popular among Singaporeans, at least the legit version. So the servers aren't as popular and you should have friends to play with you to fill up the server. Even when there are players they are frequently not from Singapore, hence having lag and sucking. Having a bad teammate in L4D2 is a liability since there is a major focus on teamwork.

FYI playing with the AI is not fun at all because it's retarded. Seriously you'll find children with Down's more intelligent and use the medkits at more suitable times. I think.

Even now I never see my bro play L4D2. Then again, maybe he bought it solely because his gf did. As for me, few of my friends play L4D2 at home anyway. Almost nobody plays legit L4D2 in Singapore. D:

As for the game, I lost a bit of what little edge I used to have. 33% accuracy in one of the two games; the other was shut down before I could see the stats.

Also realized that I was no longer really appreciating the game. All I did was run quickly through each round for the adrenaline rush. I used to stop around to look at the graffiti and the bodies (some of them are covered by blankets, makes one think that maybe there's a story related to the writings on the walls).

Now I just run forward alone like a hot knife through butter. Hunters or jockeys? Just time your melee. Smokers? Just snipe it immediately regardless of whether I'm being hit by common zombies. Boomers? Huge targets, low HP. Witches? Just run around them. Charger? Just watch where it's charging and get out of the way. Tanks? Don't even bother shooting. If your HP is green you have a chance of outrunning it and let your other teammates draw its attention accidentally. If not, use pills/adrenaline. The trick is to listen to it. When you hear it stop, try to run around a pillar to place it between you and it because the Tank only stops when it's about to throw concrete at you.

Common zombies are easy to handle if you run so fast that the AI Director has difficulty spawning zombies in front of you and slow down your allies at the same time. If you get downed by a horde while running far ahead of your team, that means the rest of your team should have an easier time. If they die, you should be running like the wind. The Director can only handle so much at a time.

It is entirely possible to run like mad through each map solo before camping in the safe room watching the zombies banging on the door, while the other guys trudge slowly through the hordes the normal way.

This is the most exciting way of playing L4D2.













1990 was 20 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment