Monday 18 October 2010

Rant 648 / Scans, Scans And More Scans

Just tried the new campaign, The Sacrifice, for L4D2. Short, as expected from a DLC.

This is the campaign that explains why Bill's corpse can be found in the last chapter of the campaign, The Passing, where the 3 remaining members of the L4D team help the L4D2 team lower the bridge to let their car pass through.

This last chapter, which takes place in the last map of The Passing, might have been nothing special if not for the randomness of the Tank spawns.

I've attempted the last map 4 times and in all 4 times the spawn times were different. For example, in one try two Tanks spawned immediately after we started the generators.

On another try, a Tank spawned immediately after the first Tank died. The resetting Tank music confused us and made us think it was a bug. When the Tank finally arrived from whichever faraway corner it spawned from, I was lucky I had picked up a second Molotov after throwing one on the first. No one, not even I, expected this so no one else did.

What is consistent is that there are always 3 Tanks total while the generators charge up and 3 more Tanks spawning simultaneously when you begin to run to the ladder at the end. Obviously Molotovs are precious commodity in this chapter.

Also, you can't rely on one guy to sacrifice himself because the lone guy may get overwhelmed by the hordes and the 3 Tanks before he can reach the switch. In 2 of my attempts, the guy who went to the switch lone kept getting downed by something. First it was a Smoker, followed by Jockey.

When he was incapacitated by the Smoker, we were all up on the bridge and 3 tanks were climbing the ladder up. We got raped.

On the final attempt when he got ridden by the Jockey, I rushed down while the other 2 covered me. Even though I managed to snipe the Jockey off him he was overwhelmed by hordes of Common Infected, so I had to sacrifice myself instead. So unless the sacrificing guy is really pro, it's best not to let him go alone.

Overall, this latest campaign is exciting but short. The best thing about it is probably the fact that it's a better campaign than any of the custom ones out there.



The better L4D2 players seem to be back. Now I'm no longer the best with 38% accuracy even though I'm usually the one who kills the most Special Infected. For the last few games I played, there was always some guy with over 40% accuracy.













I've never been able to find a copy of McDonald's dine-in menu online. All I know is that the Double Cheeseburger and the McChicken both cost S$2 each, which is why I've always assumed that the prices are the same for both McDelivery and dine-in.

Now I'm not so sure.













funny pictures of cats with captions













Oh, so I downloaded the Avira Antivirus Premium instead of the Avira Antivirus Personal! The main advantages of the Premium version over the Personal is that it scans your emails and protects you as you surf the web.

The Personal version is just a scanner but is also free of charge.

I'm going to get the Personal version after the Premium trial ends.

So from now on I'll be using 3 scanners. I think it may be a bit paranoid but this last virus I got showed that even 3 is just barely enough, if at all, for my downloading habits.

I could make it 4 or 5, but the free scanners from McAfee and TrendMicro have proven to be junk.

I think I'm also eligible for Norton's 90-day trial or something. Hmm... Maybe I should download it just to give myself a bit more certainty that my computer's clean.

...

I've never liked Symantec's products and now that I'm looking at their website, I'm even less impressed.

Even their Antivirus programme contains pointless functions like chat and file-sharing. This is exactly the same as the 5 cans of Coke in the combo meal I ordered from Pastamania - filler trash to boost the price.

Still, I can get a 30-day trial just from its website. I can get another trial from my bank iirc if I need it. I'll use the 30-day trial and delete it when it expires.

Hey Symantec is offering free scans too! Just what I need! But the download has already started, so I might as well install it.

Let's see if the free scan reveals anything new.

Btw ZoneAlarm also offers a free firewall but I don't need that. Furthermore, the last time I used it I found it to be hypersensitive. Annoyingly so.



Feeling so safe.

Nothing. Oh well, this confirms nothing. All the others found nothing either.



Sometimes I think all those NOD32 evaluation passwords and usernames are provided by ESET itself as a form of advertisement. Instead of providing a free antivirus programme for the world, it reduces the number of freeloaders by making it seem kind of illegal.

Since they haven't said or done anything about these and that if you type "nod32" you will end up with the following results, I think it's safe to say it's their marketing technique.

It's been this easy to get free trial keys like this for years.












How do mobile phones benefit the poor? So people who make a dollar a day or less have handphones?

What do farmers do with them?

What do poor children do with them?

... Phone sex?













My bro's gf told him that she likes steaks (beef). My bro's response was to tell my mum to buy steaks. My mum's response was to tell him she really wants to eat out.

My response is to blog here. I don't even know her other than her name and face, and I suck at reading intent and motives anyway.

Plus, I have no right to give him any advice of this sort.













Deepavali is the next public holiday. If I have the time I'll set something up for it here.













I'm going to set up a list of free scanners here since there are now so many of them. I probably won't be able to remember them all next time, just like how I forgot about some of them during this last case of malware.

I cannot be sure that I will be able to use the bookmarks on this computer the next time I get hit by anything, but

Blog. Blog never changes.



:P













Been playing Front Mission 5: Scars of War. Just 1-2 missions at a time. Fun but gets tiring/frustrating after a while.

Although the gameplay is nice and there are lots of customizable parts on each of the wanzers (Front Mission's version of mechas), it takes a bit of concentration and lots of saving.

Almost everything is good except for the storyline which feels rather disjointed. Yes all the parts of the story so far can be linked together but it feels like I'm missing a number of insignificant chapters.

For example, in between each of the missions in the early game before the protagonist joined the Wyverns, there are always 1-2 years of... nothing. Why do they need to separate all the events by a few years?

So I checked the Wikipedia article on this game and the answer lies in the following paragraph:

In Front Mission 5: Scars of the War, players assume the role of United States of the New Continent (USN) soldier Walter Feng. The narrative takes place over several decades from 2070 to 2121, passing by time periods from other Front Mission installments (2089: Border of Madness/1st/2/3/4). In addition, unresolved plot elements from the said installments are explored in greater depth in the narrative. These plot elements are answered conclusively as the player progresses further in the game. However, because of this, only those who have played all of the previous installments mentioned above will fully understand Scars of the War's narrative.

(Just learnt to use the Blockquote function here :P)

I'm not saying the story sucks or incomprehensible but it just feels weird that there are always such large gaps in between. I get the feeling that there should be something to fill the gaps but even though I have no idea what, it does not affect the plot of the game.

It's like reading a book with blank pages between each chapter. Maybe if I know everything, it would turn out to be an epic story, but it's fine with the blanks too.

Considering playing all the other Front Mission games if this game is good enough. I finished Front Mission 4 too long ago to remember anything about the plot right now, so that needs to be replayed too if I'm ever going to play the whole series to fill in all the blanks in the current game.













Disappointed by the GOMTV streams. I was only late by 2 mins and I couldn't join even the free-of-charge SQ stream. So I tried the Team Liquid streams and the best stream was so crowded it was only slightly better the Test stream provided by GOM in that it only paused every 5s instead of every second.

It's only the first day and we're already at 5k viewers. I have a bad feeling about the final match. But Fisher has a Youtube channel where he uploads the replays (I think) so anyone who's really interested in learning instead of just watching for fun can try that instead.

Half the time I was missing exciting scenes. But I didn't miss the nukes from MakaPrime, especially the last one which he used to nuke himself when he won. He won despite being sick, so sick he couldn't be interviewed.


Screenshot taken after the first round of BoxeR's match. 12k viewers! TWELVE THOUSAND! Excluding those who are watching it at GOM!

I endured all the other matches just to watch BoxeR's match and 7k other people had a similar idea, except they didn't start watching until now.

...

Good that he didn't let us down. SlayerSBoxeR lived up to his reputation... for now.

I actually do wish that he can win the tournament. Among all the players in the tournament matches I've watched, he's the only one who has the confidence of a star. Moreover he's probably the oldest player still playing competitively in Korea (born 1980), so everything he does is going to set a precedence for all the other players.

Even if he doesn't win, he should at least reach the quarter-finals, just to prove to the rest of the community that even at the age of 30 they can still make a living as professional players.

Prizes for SC2 GSL:

Champion: 100,000,000 KRW ( 116,389.40 SGD)
Runner-up: 30,000,000 KRW ( 34,918.64 SGD)
Semi-finalists (3rd-4th): 10,000,000 KRW (11,640.40 SGD)
Quarter-finalists (5th-8th): 4,000,000 KRW (4,656.11 SGD)

If not for the unconfirmed (at least by me) belief that our Commonwealth Games representatives get paid extra by the government, I'd say that one can make more out of playing SC2 in South Korea.

Prizes for Commonwealth 2010:

Gold medal: Rs 20 lakh = 2M Rupees ( 58,586.45 SGD)
Silver medal: Rs 10 lakh = 1M Rupees ( 29,294.03 SGD)
Bronze medal: Rs 6 lakh = 600k Rupees (17,622.54 SGD)

This list assumes they didn't raise the prize pool as suggested in the news report linked above. Since I couldn't find anything else on the prize money or prize pool, I assumed that they didn't and hence used the article as my source.

So I was half right. Only the champion and runner-up get paid more in SC2.












The predictions made by that guy in this report is actually quite plausible. At the rate our world is advancing, having Petabyte as the norm in 40 years as compared to Gigabyte at present is too easy to achieve.

The difference between a Petabyte and a Gigabyte is only 6 orders of magnitude - the same difference between a kilobyte and a Gigabyte. The first games I played, eg Sim City 2000 and SimFarm, required Megabytes of hard disk space. SimFarm, in particular, only required 5Mb.

SimFarm was released in 1993, so games released 5 years before must have required only a single Mb at most. From this, I can deduce that it took us about 30 years to to raise our games' hard disk requirements by 6 orders of magnitude.

So 40 years? More than enough.













12AM in Singapore! New Vegas is about to be released in the US in about 10 hours! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment