Saturday 28 September 2013

Rant 1177 / Liking Italian Antipasto

Just tried Trattoria Italian Kitchen. Found this voucher for 2 sets of fish and chips with delivery for just $28 net on Deal.com.sg and so I decided to try it out.

In addition to the fish and chips, I added an appetizer platter (antipasto della casa) for $24.35 net. That turned out to be the best thing I've ordered in a long time.

Having almost no experience with Italian cuisine outside of pasta and pizzas, and I've never liked tomatoes other than as something to add flavour to other dishes, I was so pleasantly surprised by how nice the caprese was and how un-tomato-like the bruschetta was.

The caprese, or insalata caprese, is just a slice of tomato with a slice of fresh, soft, mozarella, with a little mixture of basil, salt and olive oil. So simple, yet such a good, light way to appreciate the cheese and tomato.

The bruschetta is another simple appetizer of cubed tomatoes on a french loaf. Apparently, the tomato cubes are mixed with olive oil, chopped garlic, basil, salt and pepper. So easy to make, I can probably do it myself next time!



Bruschetta (left) with some kind of candied walnuts (right top) and gorgonzola cheese cubes (right bottom)




From left to right: rock melon wrapped in parma ham, some lettuce, caprese, mildy pickled cucumbers (in smaller container)




Clockwise, starting top left: gorgonzola, cucumbers, walnuts


The best were the gorgonzola cheese, caprese and bruschetta. Before you make any judgement, let me just say that I've never tried any of these except for parma ham (but not with melon), walnuts and lettuce.


The fish and chips weren't that interesting though. No wonder it was going at 2 for $28 with delivery. They were just some regular unsalted fries I can find at MCD, although the fish was quite good.

I may order from this restaurant again but I will try something other than fish and chips next time.

Regardless of the bad online reviews for this restaurant, this meal has been a very good experience, taught me a lot.























Underhell is an incredibly fleshed out Half Life 2 mod. After watching a stream of it for several hours, I'm impressed by all the content it has. True, the graphics are rather dated since it's a HL2 mod, but there's so much talk in the game and all conversations are voiced out by amateurs.

I personally wouldn't play the game but it's just crazy how much effort those guys put in to make a free game. I said "game" because it's got so much content, it's pretty much a full-fledged game instead of just a mod, just that it requires HL2 to run.
























Steam is going into the console market and it's about time they revealed it! I've been waiting for so long for some real news on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment