Thursday 26 September 2013

Rant 1176 / Bloody Printers

Right now on Kickstarter, there is this very novel 3D printer that doesn't use metal frames and plastics. Instead, it floats and prints in UV-cured resins.

http://kck.st/15bSJCZ

Because it doesn't need metal rods to move, it technically has no print volume limit. The real limit is time and that is subjective because given enough time, it can build a house.

Using UV beams, it is able to harden the liquid resin, ie cure it, in both X and Y axes. To deal with the Z axis, it uses a microphone to detect the drops and calculate the resultant rise in level.



Although the printer is incredibly cheap at only a hundred Canadian dollars, the resin is far more expensive and harder to find than any plastic filaments used by conventional 3D printers.

UV-cured liquid resins cannot be found on Aliexpress, so I deduced that this stuff can't be found at any hardware store. The developer of this printer recommends Makerjuice which sells it at US$40/litre for the cheaper resin meant for tiny print volumes, and $45/litre for the better resin. Shipping is charged separately, starting at $31 for the first litre.

This is crazy but because of the lack of sellers of small volumes of such resins, the prices make sense.

Moreover, they aren't plastics, so there is no worry about fumes.

In the end, I pledged 120CAD for a printer plus shipping, and this comes with a complimentary bottle of 100ml of resin.

I can also add $70 for a whole litre but later decided this is really not worth the money. Not only is the resin expensive, I'll also have to learn to use a new software to be able to printwith it. However, I really like the idea so I'm keeping the pledge, but I don't expect to use it at all.



















Stopped watching Corpse Party Let's Play videos because I can't take the overreaction and the frustration I get from all the illogical choices the characters made, like how Naomi didn't try to save Seiko anymore after seeing her dead even though she had the bucket to use as a foothold. She could have at least tried to free her and give her CPR!

The last straw was when the teacher was killed by the evil spirit. No matter what she said, the spirit just would not believe her. I mean, she was dying! Why on earth would she lie with her final breaths?? That's so stupid!

I really like the music though.



The good music and the interesting commentary by Aesthetic Gamer makes me want to keep watching, so maybe I'll go back later.

...


Finished watching the whole game, all 22 videos by that guy.

Interesting story but the ending is so sad :(

Not that it was unexpected but still, who really likes sad endings anyway.

Now I feel like watching the other Corpse Party games. This one was the remake, Blood Covered, and there are several others. Wonder if they ever save the soul of the girl in any of the games though.















So I just noticed that one of the members of my alliance in Age of War is the son of an Egyptian football star, Mohd Aboutrika. Never knew about this despite the fact that he used his full name as his in-game nick until I checked his Line profile and saw lots of photos of him with his siblings and his father.

Lots of photos of his dad playing football and finally I found a portrait photo of Aboutrika with his full name captioned, so I googled the name.

It's entirely possible that it's an elaborate fake but quite unlikely since he has never tried to make us understand what the name meant. He's just very friendly.

For those who are unfamiliar with the name as I was, Mohammed Aboutrika is one of the biggest name in African football and one of the three top scorers in the FIFA World Cup with 4 goals, with the other 2 being Messi and Denilson.

No comments:

Post a Comment