Tuesday 30 April 2013

Rant 1132 / Trying Not To Starve

The free tablet cover I got from the first Philips Carnival Sale I visited turns out to be less easy to use than my really cheap $11 one from Dealextreme.

Although the material was great, nice soft with suede inside, I'm not even sure if this was meant for an iPad.

First, it was too big for my iPad. At the normal horizontal rest position, it would go too low so that it covered about 2mm of the bottom and the front camera would be blocked, causing the screen to darken since the front camera detects the brightness outside.

Second, there isn't a hole for the back camera, which I do use sometimes for convenience.

The latter is the main reason I suspect this wasn't designed for the iPad.

Sure I have a third cover ready but what a waste it would be if I just throw this away. I like the material. It feels more luxurious than the old PU leather one that I had been using.

This means I need to find some way to fill the extra space inside and cut a hole for the camera. Easier said than done.

























Fifth run on Don't Starve. Things are going very well in winter. It's day 24 and I have absolutely no problem at all, except maybe for the oversupply of monster meat that I use as a filler for cooking in my three crock pots.

Crock pots and drying racks are awesome for winters because of this loophole I found on the wiki: food does not rot as long as it has not been harvested from them.

In addition, food cooked in crock pots tend to last much longer than everything else, like at least 10 days.

This means I have plenty of jerkies I can use to cook in my crock pots later on from my 7 drying racks.

The reason for my big supply of monster meat is because I've been trying to use my traps to catch spiders for webs, and the probability of meat being dropped is way higher than that of webs.

I've also learnt the usefulness of having lots of traps: rabbits! Now I have like 15-20 of them covering rabbit holes all over this savannah I'm staying at. No baits because carrots grow too far away to be wasted like this. I just put them right on top of rabbit holes to catch those that accidentally get close to them.

Too many things were too far away, like stones and gold. I had spent 3 days searching for gold before I finally decided to leap into a worm hole and voila! Gold found! Without gold, I wouldn't have been able to build a science machine, which meant no straw roll to sleep in, which mean sleep deprivation. The 4th night before I slept, I actually went insane and a dark hand tried to reach my fire from the darkness as I ate.

Now I only worry about those rare events that I've read from the wiki.









Day 51. I've got a large farmland of about 8 advanced farms, and a well-stocked kitchen of 8 crock pots and probably 10-15 drying racks. As for meat supply, I've got like 20 rabbit holes covered by my traps.

Food is no longer an issue. I even have to resist the temptation to harvest my traps whenever I walk pass one that has something inside because I can't finish them all  before they rot and every single farm, rack and pot is already full.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. Maybe I'll get a backpack and explore further, or a piggyback.

Encountered a deerclops, a boss monster, on day 33 or so. It wandered around my base for some reason and trampled over two of my racks, yet it never destroyed anything else when I watched it from day 35-37, after which it left and never appeared again.

On day 49, I died. It was stupid. I panicked when spiders tried to attack me just as night arrived and I couldn't stop to light a fire while they were chasing me. Probably should have just destroyed their nests nearby earlier but I thought they were good for distracting the hounds and also made convenient sources of web.

Oh well, now the two closest ones are destroyed. One got burnt down by a red hound while the other was already planned for demolition when I deliberately planted three trees close it it very early into the game. All the second nest needed was a light on one of the trees.

Spiders won't be bothering me anymore but the touch stone very conveniently located near my base has been spent for my resurrection. The next closest stone is about half a day's walk away and has been activated.

Maybe I should start on killing bigger animals to make a meat effigy instead of relying on the stones since that's the last one that's within a day's walk to my base.

No comments:

Post a Comment