Monday 22 April 2013

Rant 1129 / I Did Not Know It Was Possible That An Adult Would Have Difficulty Using Our Kitchen Knife.

Oh the monk. He's getting closer and closer to becoming a one-man-army.

But Tomi's starting to have trouble disarming traps. Locks are fine, but his ability in disarming traps just isn't as perfect as his lockpicking skill.

Fortunately, the monk has got good reflex and fortitude and high HP, so I can just spring them while Tomi's standing far away. No problem.

Still, some places are pretty hard even on Normal. These are all in the sidequests so far but the perfectionist in me wants to clear them all, so sidequest or not, I'm completing them all at any cost necessary.

The first difficult battle was with the mummy in one of the Halueth crypts. That thing could absorb more damage than most of my blows can do, so it was practically immune to my attacks. I had to use a Bull's Strength potion to get 1-2 damage per blow on it, otherwise I'd have to rely completely on Tomi to kill it since he could do more damage than its absorption threshold.

The latest was the final Halueth crypt under Blacklake. WTF? 4 Swords of Never (difficulty: Challenging) simultaneously?

First attempt: so raped.

Second attempt: tried using healing potions and Bless potion, still raped.

Third attempt: used Bless potion, Barkskin potion beforehand, Tomi died quickly but I managed to survive till 2 Swords were down and I ran out of Moderate and Serious Wounds potions.

Fourth attempt: went all out on potions and used Bless, Bull's Strength, (my one and only) Cat's Grace, Barkskin, Endurance and Aid, then used healing potions to maintain almost full HP instead of merely keeping it above 50%. Tomi still died quickly regardless but I was able to kill the Swords at the cost of all my Moderate Wounds and most of my Serious Wounds potions. I still had a single Critical Wounds potion so that was ok.

Fortunately, the henchman's resurrection only cost me the 50 gold to take the portal back from the temple (or wherever that place was in Chapter 1) and I had in excess of 11k gold by then.




















So I'm not sure if I should consider the insurance premiums deducted from my income as 2012's or 2013's. Technically they were for 2012 but if they were deducted from the money I'm spending this year, then it doesn't feel logical to treat them as last year's premiums.
























So I found a way to use multiple vouchers for Domino's Pizza. Since they only allow 1 voucher per order, it kinda put me off until recently when I found that new promotion of $22 for 2 regular pizzas. Got two sets of those last week.

That was when I got more interested in the different offers they have and discovered I could easily get around that limit by using multiple accounts. Since I have 2 phones and my bro has another one, I could theoretically make 3 orders simultaneously, ie 3 vouchers.

I tested this yesterday by making ordering through 2 accounts and it was fine. Better still, we get a free side for every online order.

And to top it all off, both orders were delivered by the same guy who arrived late, so we got 2 vouchers for one free regular pizza each.

Next time, I think I just get 6 regular pizzas. Even with my total order of 3 regulars and 1 extra large plus 3 sides (2 free and 1 paid), we could only finish the extra large and 2 sides, leaving 3 regular pizzas and 1 side for other meals. I wonder how long 6 regular pizzas and 3 sides (again including 2 free) will last.



















My shorts and boxers and pants from Jshoppers just arrived. DHL is awesome for delivering even on Sundays and best of all, the shipping was free.

And they fit! Even for the pair that was slightly too small, the elastic cotton material was still very comfortable, even if it's not suitable for wearing outside due to perceived tightness.

I didn't buy them because they were cheap. Far from it. That pair of shorts cost me S$25 while the boxers cost me either $25 for 3 or $35 for 5. The difference between the two boxers is that the more expensive 3-pack one is softer and more elastic while the cheaper one is rougher.

http://www.jshoppers.com/shohin.asp?shocd=CM13B0981&PageNo=1&bunrui1=6&bunrui2=4&bunrui3=1

http://www.jshoppers.com/shohin.asp?shocd=CM13B0963&PageNo=1&bunrui1=6&bunrui2=4&bunrui3=1

Still fantastic though. I haven't worn underwears this comfy since a very long time ago.

It's not really urgent either because although a few of my current boxers have huge gaping holes and all of them have black spots all over, it's not like anyone is going to look at my underwear. Well, except during my ICTs but I don't care.

I'm actually planning to keep these new ones except for 1 of each type of boxers until my current boxers are not long wearable. One of them is going to be exactly that very soon.

The reason for buying these now is because Jshoppers never offers discounts for men's items. I literally waited through the entire 2012 for a sale but it never happened. Since I'm sure I'm going to buy them, there was no reason for me to wait.

Btw these are summer items so they're only available from this week till somewhere in September. I basically bought them as soon as they became available.

As for the pair of pants, it's awesome. Finally, I have something to break the monotony of wearing nothing but black and brown pants to work. This new pair is navy.

http://www.jshoppers.com/shohin.asp?shocd=CM13B9081&PageNo=1&bunrui1=6&bunrui2=2&bunrui3=2

It costs about S$43 but after wearing the other 2 pairs, I know this pair is also going to be worth the money.

Sure, they're all made in China, but it's common knowledge that Japanese quality control is the best in Asia, hence the high prices and my trust. It also helps that the store offers my size and beyond.



I had also considered buying other stuff from Jshoppers, like traditional crafts, but the prices are insane! For example, this little glass-and-wooden cup that I like costs over S$115!

http://www.jshoppers.com/shohin.asp?shocd=RIN0034R1&PageNo=1&bunrui1=12&bunrui2=8

WTF?

It's not even big - the horizontal diameter is only 48mm while the vertical is 95mm.

Even the cheapest glass cup there costs over S$60!

The horror!

So yeah, Jshoppers is only good for nice clothes unless you've got hundreds of dollars to spend on this sort of things.



Also, the yen has been weakening a lot recently so it's a good time to buy Japanese stuff.











I'm thinking of asking my bro to help pay for half of the food deliveries. It's the same as asking him to contribute to the utility bills except it could allow more flexibility when his girlfriend is around.

Right now, my budget is $50/delivery always. In addition to not having to pay more than $25, it also lets him order more for both of them when need be. It can get a little hard to find something nice and filling for 3 people of our appetites. Especially her. Despite her skinny appearance, she's the kind who can eat more than me and remain underweight.

It's amazing because she doesn't even have the strength to use the cleaver we have at home. Just a few days ago my bro told me there's a piece of boiled chicken in the fridge because after making chicken soup, she was unable to chop it up due to the weight of our cleaver and she didn't want to eat it whole like I would.

And this is the kind of cleaver we use:


It can't be that heavy.

But anyway, I also considered asking him to split the utility bills but that might lead to one of us feeling unfair. It's the same with the food deliveries except with the additional benefit of flexibility on his side, it's kinda worth the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment