Thursday 9 August 2012

Rant 1039 / Cranberries And Bananas

Another good deal! This is exactly why I'm not blocking Qoo10's email ad spams.

Managed to get ten 1-litre bottles of Lifebuoy soaps for S$5.90 each, inclusive of delivery.

Non-off-brand soaps are never that cheap even at the budget stores in my neighbourhood. An example is the 1-litre Dove soap I'm using that cost $8.

Actually the Lifebuoy soap was being sold for around $6.50 a bottle but I managed to use $8 worth of coupons on 10 bottles to push the nett price down to exactly $59. The average cost would have been cheaper at 6 bottles where I could use just the $5 coupon to get an average nett price of around $5.80, but then I found that my bro has been using Lifebuoy soap all along and he kinda liked it, so I added another 4 bottles plus a $3 coupon. The shipping's only charged once so both sets are covered by the same shipping charge of $2.50.

10 litres of soap. I guess I won't have to worry about this for a year now.




















Also been thinking about travel insurance after my purchases last night.

Mainly, it's about the annual plans.

The thing about annual plans is that some of them have the same prices as 4-5 trips' worth of individual plans combined.

I already have a trip in January that has yet to be covered by travel insurance, and if I am going to get another 3-4 more trips for the rest of 2013, an annual plan would be an excellent idea.

And if I do take any annual plan, it will also be a sign that I should sign up for a frequent flyer club membership.

I BE WAITING FOR MOAR PROMOTIONS!

Anyway the Safra discount on Chartis travel insurance only made the cheapest option as cheap as... Aviva's normal price on its more expensive option.

What?

I mean, Chartis charged me S$32 for a Travel Guard Classic plan for that trip (as opposed to Superior and Premier) while Aviva charged me S$29.94 for a Travel Plus plan (as opposed to Travel Lite). My SAFRA membership is supposed to get me a discounted price at Chartis, but that's still higher than what Aviva charged me despite not having any promotions currently.

Meanwhile, the benefits appear similar.

So I made a spreadsheet for all three policies and realized the differences.

Aviva, the cheapest, covers the fewest events but is generally more generous with its compensations for those it does cover.

Chartis covers a few more events than Aviva but is generally stingier with its compensations.

Ace covers the most, with the only uncovered event being war, which only Aviva covers.

Of course, my comparison is only fair in terms of price. All are around $30, with Ace's Safetravel Deluxe being $30.80. Ace offers Platinum, Deluxe, Classic and Essential, arranged according to price in descending order.

Basically this means I'm comparing the worst of Chartis with the best of Aviva and the second best of Ace. As for the prices, Chartis is the most expensive followed by Ace and then Aviva.

In other words, Chartis sucks, which in turn means I'm just going to get Aviva and/or Ace for the other trips. But since Aviva is only a dollar less than Ace, it's not an entirely bad idea to just get Ace's Safetravel Platinum plan instead.

As for reviews, they're pretty hard to find. I guess too few people need to actually use their travel insurance for such forums to exist.

The thing about these three is that although Ace offers the best travel insurance on paper, it's the most unknown too, and being unknown in the insurance business is not a good sign.

So although I'm attracted by Ace's stuff, I'm currently more inclined to go with Aviva just for being a bigger name in the business. It makes more sense this way, the logic being that insurance is all about dependability and safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment