Saturday 30 April 2011

Rant 770 / A Trayful of Heart Attacks



This is going to be my middle-term goal in life.










New Mount and Blade game!

Fire and Sword!

This is now set in the real world, in the 17th century Europe. Races available are, quote:

Tsardom of Russia, Sweden, Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpospolita), Cossack Ukraine and the Crimean Khanate




I don't really know much about Europe in the era (yea it surprised me too) so I can't tell if the armours are real.



For all I know it could have been real since ancient Chinese armours were that fanciful too.

Hats and Helmets
These were symbols to distinguish rank in ancient China. Rank was established by the type of fur on the winter hat, or by the finial (helmet spike). For example:
  • Sable trim - only worn by the Emporer.
  • Pearls and precious stones - Emporer and Empress.
  • Semi-precious stones and Peking glass together with distinguishing colours - Civil and Military Officials.
  • Peacock feather with 3 eyes - Distinguished Princes.
  • Peacock feathers with 1 or 2 eyes - Distinguished Court Officials with lesser rank than Prince.

Those aren't there for show. Anyway I guess they didn't have to fight much in jungles. Wonder how the southern frontier armies that conquered parts of Southeast Asia adapted though. A frickin peacock feather sticking on your helmet would definitely get stuck in tree branches. Or maybe those who wear it never had to get close to the trees in the first place.









Got a call from this number 862128913333. Since I generally don't answer phone calls from numbers I don't know (too many wrong numbers and telemarketers), I didn't make an exception for this one either.

But I was very curious about why someone is calling me from overseas when any of my friends could contact me much more easily via email.

Initially I guessed it was a relative of mine and that the only aunt I gave my number to had passed it to her siblings.

What do? Ask my mum of course. Like I've said before, we have no contact with my paternal relatives so those are out of the question.

Yet she didn't recognize this number. What she did recognize was that 86 was the extension for the PRC (aka China).

Nope, still not going to answer it despite its persistence. It even called me twice. Both ignored, obviously.

Therefore I returned to the computer and googled it, as I usually do with numbers I don't recognize. FYI there are websites out there that list numbers whose phone calls one shouldn't bother to answer.

Apparently, this was one of those numbers.

According to my google results, this number belongs to a scammer from the PRC whose bullshit involves fake Paypal stuff. I didn't bother to go through the details.

So if you see this number calling you, ignore it.











Chicken to no eat. D:










The question of who to vote for isn't as simple as who's been making mistakes or even whether you dare to vote for a newly available option.


The former is oversimplification; the latter is nonsense.

Just because one party has been fucking up doesn't mean the other's definitely going to do better given the exact same situation.

A good example is the US now. Plenty of Americans believe that Obama is destroying their economy. But one big reason they didn't vote for Republicans is because of George Bush Jr. Not because he would get a third term but because his successor might be too similar to him.

Did the change of government bring improvement to their situation?

Debatable.

Another example is Japan. I bet right now lots of Japanese are wishing they hadn't removed Koizumi despite his flaws. After all, there have been FIVE Prime Ministers in Japan since he left in 2006 - that's a new PM every year! You know what that means? No one's been able to replace his shoes, maybe not even the current one.

So my point is that simply replacing a government does not solve problems.

I'm not saying change is bad but that sometimes, as bad as the status quo may seem, the alternative could be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment