Sunday 17 April 2011

Rant 764 / 糖爸爸

This sucks.

Something is wrong. I don't think the painters did anything wrong but the paint keeps bubbling or swelling or whatever it's called.

They did the rest of the flat before working on my room, and the paint on some of the walls swelled overnight. For my room, it happened within hours even before it was completely dry!

This is not just bad; this is terrible!

Why is this happening so quickly in my room?

Why is this happening at all?

This is the second time it's been repainted within the last 6 months and most of the walls also bubbled the last time. Eventually they cracked, peeled and left huge scars everywhere.

At this rate, history is about to repeat itself.

According to what I've read after some googling, there are lots of factors that can cause this, like humidity or the previous layer of paint.

Except, my problem is inconsistent. Some walls have been perfectly fine, no peels or anything. Others peeled both times.

Those walls that are hidden behind shelves don't peel, so it may be caused by environmental factors.

But which one(s)?








The Humble Bundle is available again... or still available, I don't know. The first time I saw it was on Steam where it was a collection of a lot of indie games (ie developed by small companies) for a very low price.

Now it's still the same concept but with fewer games and an even lower price.

How low?

Any price from 1 cent (aka a penny) to anything. Right now the highest is US$2000.2, with "notch" paying $2000, "garrynewman" paying $2000.01 and "Now what, Garry?" paying the top amount as mentioned previously.

If those names are really who I think they are, it makes a lot of sense.

Notch is the guy who's making Minecraft and Garry Newman is the guy behind Garry's Mod, a very well-known HL2 mod.

The highest contributor is just some unknown jackass.

I wonder if Unknown Worlds Entertainment (another indie game company currently working on Natural Selection 2) spent any money on it.


As for the games, there are 3 real ones, 1 that's still in beta (probably) and another that likely won't ever be finished but I wouldn't know.

Splot is still under development and will be added to your bundle once it is completed. Jack Claw is a prototype of a game Frozenbyte was developing but canceled before completion.

Yea, get what I mean?


The two Shadowgrounds games look like an Alien-Swarm-clone, or maybe Alien Swarm was a Shadowgrounds-clone. Either way, they look interesting for the price, which is determined by you. Just don't be an ass and donate a single cent. The processing of the fee and the resources required to upload the game to your PC would cost more than that.








So after playing a lot of games against Easy AI on League of Legends the other day to farm points and have fun (okay yes it's fun to win) I decided to stop pwning my ego and went on to Intermediate AIs.

Immediately there was a marked difference in their behaviour. The first thing I noticed was that unlike Easy AI, they almost never get baited into my tower's range. It's as if there's an invisible line that I could almost see after baiting them often enough, a tactic I frequently used as Kayle - bait them into tower's range and slow them.

Doesn't work on Intermediate AI.

More challenging now but I haven't lost any games so far. But now I'm no longer having great ratios despite having over 30 assists in one game (iirc I had 31 and another guy had 33).

In addition, I'm beginning to feel the limits of Kayle's abilities. Now I'm quite ready to move on to Taric but I don't have the IPs to buy him.




I finally lost a match against bots. Intermediate bots. Oh well.








Apparently Asian men do the least household chores. I'm relieved I'm not unique in this aspect. Furthermore, the Korean males seem to be the champs for multiple categories, which makes sense given their 1337 skillz in online games.

"My life for Aiur" indeed.

I rarely do household chores. Mostly what I do involves cleaning my plates after meals and cooking utensils if I cook. Hence I hate non-stick utensils (I prefer to clean them immediately after cooking when the "momentum" is still there), yet I find that I can't cook without them ever since I tried to fry eggs and hashbrowns in a traditional steel pan with minimal oil. Anyone with experience with those ancient tools would understand how badly things turned out that day.

Fortunately I could use a metal scrub on it which we have because my mum prefers to use her traditional black Chinese work when she cooks.

Metal scrubs save lives.

Anyway I clean my bathroom. In fact, I could tell the part-time housekeeper to stop cleaning my bathroom altogether but a bathroom can never be too clean. My ideal bathroom is one that's so well-maintained one could eat off the floor, something I occasionally encounter in some hotels.

Nowadays I can't maintain my bathroom to that degree because I dislike having a wet floor (unlike one of my aunts' home, the floor is tiled instead of carpeted). This is kind of unavoidable if I want a clean floor because in order to clean anything there, I spray water and scrub/sweep it with my feet. This means I can maintain a dry yet clean floor by sweeping the water to the drain as much as possible every time I clean the floor, but that's just too much trouble for something I do multiple times a day.



Speaking of carpeted bathroom floors, that's probably one of the most unnecessarily luxurious things I've ever heard of. That's so impractical, I can't even begin to imagine the amount of effort and money required to maintain it. You'd definitely need a full-time maid/housekeeper for that. But no, that aunt doesn't have one; she's a housewife.









I suspect my bro's actual future plans include selling this flat and moving to somewhere closer to his gf's parents.

I think that's a very impractical idea.

I admit this place has sentimental value - I grew up here - but this flat is extremely expensive for a reason!

We practically live in the centre of Singapore. We have direct buses to the Orchard Road right at our doorstep, a MRT station (with a mall soon) in 10-mins walking distance and plenty of schools and even NUS that take about 10-20 mins on a bus to reach.

Why move? Can a fresh (or a not-so-fresh) grad even afford a place in a location of this standard?

Yes it's true this building is getting old, but we can easily expect the Government to give us a 1-to-1 exchange with a nearby recently-built flat when they decide they need a new structure on this piece of land.

Moving to an inferior location simply so that they could be closer to his in-laws is a terrible reason to do so IMHO. No offence to anybody who actually did that, it's just how I feel about this line of reasoning.

Yet, is it a good idea for us to live together in the future?

If not, I cannot legally hold this flat alone and he cannot own/co-own two HDB (public housing) flats.

What do?

Must I get attached just so that I can stay?

This would be a fckin stupid reason to do it but is also, as far as I can tell, my best option.

I don't want such commitments so early in life (or ever in life unless my mentality changes in the future, which wouldn't be uncommon from what I've seen and heard), but how long before the time comes when he decides to move?

Maybe he'll change his mind once he graduates, gets a steady job and starts to look at his potential homes seriously. I don't believe the profit is worth the disadvantages involved in the long-term but I'm not him.

Hmm... I think I've talked about this before.







Some guy pwns his (now ex-)gf on air.  XD

I didn't LOL like the DJs but it was a creative way to dump a gf (and for a very valid reason).

No comments:

Post a Comment