Wednesday 13 April 2011

Rant 762 / Cheap Tapioca Chips


How To Get A Guy To Notice You While You're Having Sex With Him

Some of the best relationship tips you will ever hear. Can't miss this.









Discovered Die2Nite yesterday. Interesting game.

Anyone who is even the slightest bit interested in Urban Dead should like Die2Nite. Basically it's a much, much better version of the game.

Everyone likes zombie games. In this particular one, players take the roles of survivors staying in desert towns in a post-apocalyptic zombie-infested world. I've only been in this game overnight, so I've barely scratched the surface of the game.

Initially I got the impression that I'd be getting limited Action Points per day kinda like in Urban Dead (that game recharges APs on a per hour basis), but apparently I can find food outside of town that can immediately refill my AP. Furthermore, I can just stand around at the same spot using the Search action and I will automatically do a search every 2 hours. This does not consume APs.

Things I find can also be useful materials like logs which can be refined into planks that are used to build structures. While there is a large variety of buildings to build, the most important ones are the defensive structures.

Defensive structures are the point of the game because every night, the town is attacked by a growing horde of AI zombies. Their numbers will also be further supplemented by any dead survivors whose bodies were not destroyed or removed from the town. This attack will come at 12 midnight, every night. To make this clear, a timer is always shown on the upper right corner of the page telling us how long we have before the zombies attack.

In addition to these structures, there are also things like Workshop, which reduces the costs of construction. In fact, the Workshop is apparently one of the best things a town should build first.

In this game, the cure for zombification is water. Water, however, is rare in the desert. Players can get a single ration of water per day, more if a Water Pump is built. Water is not merely a weapon, it's also necessary to make cement and rehydrate yourself during your desert scavenging trips. One tip I've seen is to use it as the final AP boost (it also counts as food) at the end of the day, and to avoid using it before since it's so precious.

APs are not to be wasted. They're necessary for movement across the desert, for refining materials and for building stuff. With a mere 6 APs as the maximum, it's always necessary to plan your moves before clicking even with food in your possession. However as a newbie, I am still learning about the mechanics of the game in order to plan properly.

So far it appears to be a rather interesting game but the amount it costs to get those "Heroic" features is just too much for such a game. It's probably tempting if one gets serious about it but for me, no thanks.










Whoever recently linked my blog to Facebook probably had a lot of friends. I've just hit over 200 views per day for Monday (Sunday for the Americans), which usually sees a spike in traffic to this blog. Tuesday was over 150, which is possibly the new norm now.

Over 200 very bored people are reading this every Sunday/Monday. It's a strange thought. Never expected this. It's not like I actually consciously try to make this blog more popular. In fact, I've found better reads in Wikipedia. Then again, I like war stories.

Or maybe, just maybe, there's this one very lonely cyber-stalker pressing F5 200 times here on a Sunday (of all days, making him all the lonelier).

Nah, I can see the nationalities of the majority of the visitors coming here. Normally most are American, and I've noticed a new spike in German visitors this time.

Strange because I'd expected an increase in Singaporean visitors due to my anti-PAP rants. Apparently nobody cares. Or perhaps there are more Singaporean expats over at Germany than I thought. I wouldn't know. I don't live there.

The best guesses I can make is that either it's related to Vidya 2 (that's a German website) or that guy who said he linked my blog to FB has quite a few German friends/fans/stalkers.

Either way, I don't think they'll stay long, especially when I get distracted for a long period of time (for new games and etc) and stop putting new videos and music here for a while. It happens.









Actually the Grow and Share money is a good idea once you stop seeing it as a one-off deal and take it as something one should save up and spend over the year to supplement your income. I probably discussed this before so I won't go into detail.

Personally I'm getting S$700 this year, no income tax rebate because I'm not paying income tax. That, in turn, is because I'm working only for food and accommodation. In some places, they'd call me a slave. Technically, they wouldn't be wrong.

Unless the fact that I get free-flow allowance limited only by my mum/boss's net income is taken into account.

There is absolutely no need for her to limit my allowance/salary because I simply don't spend, other than on transport and food. The best thing is probably the fact that the cheap mobile phone plan I'm using is so old, nobody can sign up for it since years ago.

I'm aware that this isn't normal anywhere. Most people seem to be fixated with this concept of "my money" and I'm guessing the root of this is that they've never had the experience of having only "our money". In fact I believe the concept of sharing a pool of cash among a whole family might seem quite foreign to most.

Except some wealthy people I know, whose parents simply hand them a wad of bills every time they need money.

One could say I'm like that, except we just keep this wad somewhere at home and take a few notes whenever we need some. Generally, I take less than what she recommends; I've lost too many wallets when I was small.








Y'know, I think I might just make an internet store for winter wear, but only after I can handle what I have now. Just a backup idea.








Completed the Republic campaign for Caesar 4! Wasn't too hard after spamming Prefects' Offices(?) everywhere to prevent fires.

Took over 3 years to complete though. Ingame years.

Now to the Empire campaign!









Magicka: Vietnam is out. This is probably one of the most hilarious ideas in modern games today. Anyone who has played Bad Company 2: Vietnam will understand the humour better.

Magical Napalm Strike FTW!!!!












Ugh. The painters are coming tomorrow to repaint my home. We had a paint job for it like half a year ago but they did a really bad job and the paint peeled like the skin on the hands of a newbie dishwasher who doesn't wear gloves (yes I'm describing myself yes).

My home looks terrible now, so my mum decided to hire someone else to do it this time.

I think it has to do with the fact that they didn't scrape the old paint off before repainting the walls.

Anyway they're going to work till Saturday. Lots of stuff are going to be covered and moved around. At least my bro can stay at his gf's place, though he really dislikes that.









The final campaign of Caesar 4 is hard even on Normal difficulty! I'm only playing the first round on the economy map and I can barely handle all the requests from Rome. Frickin Caesar keeps demanding the same stuff, like 50 gold within a year, then 3 months later, demand another 50 bracelets (made from gold) within 18 months.

I just managed to deliver but then another request came for utensils.

Except I only had 1k denarii left.

I was completely reliant on exporting bracelets at that point, so the previous demands had really dragged down my economy. Utensils need a lot more work because I have to set up the homes, construct the iron mining camps and then the factories. All the while I have to watch the food supply to make sure the people don't starve.

All that was costing more money than I could scrape up, so I stopped there.

Next time, I'll have to act really fast. Can't just wait for things to stabilise (eg for the newcomers to settle into their new homes) before moving to the next step.









League of Legends is getting slightly more interesting now that I find that there are a lot of people playing against bots.

Bots are somewhat challenging but they don't hunt together. At the very most, they push together. Their ambushes are non-existent but they can still have a good chance of winning when we meet head-on, since they don't have slow responsive timing like us.

Good for training with new heroes and earns IPs, which are like money to be spent on passive bonuses.

Better than HoN before 2.0 was released. I have yet to test HoN 2.0 even though I already have it installed.

LoL is so casual. I don't really mind. I don't want to get too serious about it and start raging over something that's supposed to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment