Monday 25 April 2011

Rant 767 / Absentia





















So after all the angry threads in Singaporean online forums about Chinese citizens disrupting our lives, it seems the Americans are also getting annoyed by them.

One comment read:

Rich foreigners come to the USA because we treat them preferentially and let them run the country. No one else is that stupid.
If enough rich Chinese move to the USA, we will next be invading China’s traditional enemies. Why not? We do it for the other rich foreign people here. Excuse me: “new Americans”.
Posted by txgadfly

Plenty of Singaporeans have this impression that the PAP are practically inviting them to take over our island. Apparently, it's more like they're inviting themselves over to just about everywhere.









I've got a stronger fan now. The old one was weak but I had grown accustomed to it. Now I recall why I used to hate fans (but can't live without them either).

It blows everything away!

The old weak fan didn't do anything like that. Everything remained as they are except for single sheets of paper.

Now everything needs to be weighed down, most important of which is my styrofoam MCD Big Breakfast cover now used as a coaster. Everytime I lift my cup up it flies away.

Annoying.

Next are papers. Despite living in the age of computers, I need to use plenty of paper during my studies. This fan is making it annoyingly hard.

But I can't just switch it off, not when it's at 30 degrees Celsius with my windows and doors open for ventilation already. Ventilation is absolutely necessary when my PC is switched on.

Or air-conditioning, but I need it at night when I sleep.

Even so, my utility bills have shot back up to S$300 now, over 2/3 of which is for electricity.









So I got pretty annoyed by the number of anti-PAP troll threads in Singaporean forums. The people who support them are completely unreasonable and have lost their trust in any data produced by the authorities.

Yet, there are no other sources of information for certain statistics like unemployment!

Hence there is no way to argue against them!

What do?

So I joined them. Wanted to see how far they were willing to go. Wanted to toe the line and see how much the mods would tolerate. Finally, wanted to scare the assholes into shutting up by making them fear that I'd attract the attention of the ISD to the forum I picked.

Posted lots of images from googling terms like "armed rebellion" and "violent revolution".

Nothing happened. The only reaction I got was a few supporters quoting my images and saying "QFT".

They don't mind violent revolutions and armed rebellions, apparently.

I even began to post comments that are pro-terrorism (like defending Mas Selamat), racist and even treasonous.

Nothing. The only private message I got asked me to spread some Youtube video from RazorTV that supports the Opposition parties in general.

I'm surprised. I didn't even get a single Infraction Point for trolling.

I think I'm taking it too seriously. Time to get away from it.











Now I'm having BSODs, once last night and once this morning.

They were both Stop Errors regarding NTFS.sys which I believe is probably pretty serious. BSODs are usually serious IMO.

Did a disk scan last night on C: but nothing was found probably. I was asleep and didn't look at the results.

I'll do a disk scan on D: tonight. They're two different HDDs.

That will be followed by some Memory Diagnostics and I'll install my TuneUp Utilities finally.








I'll admit I kinda like the PAP despite their arrogance. I mean, that's what they mean by "bragging rights", right?

There was a time when I did consider voting for the opposition just to show them how they will ruin the country.

Then it came to me that Singapore can't be destroyed in a single term. The country is too fat; it can possibly take a decade or so to finish the reserves unless insanity takes over the Parliament and its budget planning.

By then, it will be too late. People will already have forgotten what it's like now and adapt to the new economy.

Or worse, they will blame it on the PAP and the other parties have done their best to salvage the situation.

Reason will be proven to be absent if the PAP actually loses its majority.

And when the reserves are close to empty, things won't just implode suddenly and the country won't just suddenly get broke.

No, things don't happen that way.

Most likely, something will happen outside, like another financial crisis or a natural disaster. But instead of recovering smoothly using our savings, things turn out to be pretty hard and the government has to turn to desperate measures or even international aid. Prices go up, wages go down, employment goes down, taxes go up.

Then you get unrest. I mean real unrest, not the keyboard-warrior sort.

Ask anyone who was old enough to understand international news back in the 80s and 90s. The USSR didn't fall in a day. No, there was slow decay, though it didn't exactly appeared like the decay we'd imagine it would be like. Instead of one major blow that suddenly ended everything, it was more like a serious issue arose, and before they could fully recover another blow came. This repeated till it all ended in the collapse.

The Soviet Union was strong and large enough that it took decades for it to fall after Stalin's death.

Or we could look at the British Empire. It hasn't died but it's now a mere shadow of its former glory (just like the final remnant of the Byzantine Empire in Thrace).

Same with Singapore, but on a much tinier scale. If it is not properly governed, we won't see the effects overnight, but one will be able to tell by how well it copes with major troubles. And they handled the last one pretty well. I'll remember this and compare it with the next time something happens again.










My skin had been getting real dry and even began to peel, so I got this pair of cheap rubber gloves that's basically just a pair of hand-shaped balloons. It feels and smells a pair of balloons.

But I love it. I had to apply moisturisers on my hands for another day before the skin reverted to normal. From what I've heard and read, it could have gotten worse - my hands could have gotten red and swollen. Now I'll never wash dishes with my bare hands. I'll very much endure the smell of rubber balloons on my hands than have peeling palms.








I was thinking about ordering this Korean BBQ Chicken but it seemed a little more expensive than KFC. I had the roast chicken in mind, not the fried ones, but the brochures and coupons were so unclear!

Were those Promotions for dine-in or delivery? Why are the fineprints on what I believe to be coupons so tiny? I can't read them even when magnified.

More importantly, I wish they have combos in the $40-50 range. I wanted to order one in the $30-40 range plus a few pieces of chicken for another $5-10 but I couldn't!

I also considered the option of ordering BBQ B ($27.90) plus number 5 ($15.90) in the ala carte menu for:

- 6 pieces of fried chicken
- 2 pieces of grilled chicken
- 3 coleslaws
- 1 serving of wedges
- 1 serving of mashed potato

Throw in 7% GST and $3 delivery charge, it'd cost me about $49.

On the other hand, from KFC I could order 3 sets of 3-piece meal and 2 Roasta Burger box, which would give me:

- 11 pieces of chicken
- 2 Roasta Burgers
- 3 small coleslaws
- 5 small whipped potato
- 5 cans of Pepsi

I ordered this and it cost me $44.80. Currently I have 5 pieces of chicken, 2 small whipped potato and a burger left for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment