Thursday 15 April 2010

Rant 526 / I Don't Get Stanley Kubrick's Films

Jagged Alliance is really hard on the second of three difficulties! I can barely keep all my mercenaries alive through every battle and if I rest for too long, the loyalty of the towns decrease and drag my income down with it.

Now I have to let go of my weakest mercenary. Even though he's the weakest, he is an excellent medic. I have a second medic (comes free with the storyline) but she is only half as good as he is. I'm now considering a new run.












Empires v2.25 is finally out, after over a year of development from v2.24d. Comes with all new special particle effects that make nukes explode in mushroom clouds and artilleries blow up dirt clouds when they hit.

I only wish they had also added fake craters in addition to the dirt clouds for added visual impact. Nevertheless, Empires looks much better now.












Procrastination is a sweet habit. The acceptance of the fact that you do not have to do something now and will not encounter any consequences for postponing it brings a sort of exhilaration, a great sense of relief, even if it's only for a few days.

I'll type the rest tomorrow.













Don Quixote is the first book of its kind that I've read. It's in the comedy genre but its humour is more of the slapstick sort, the form that is more popular decades ago when Charlie Chaplin slipping on a banana skin was widely considered hilarious.

Or maybe I just don't get the jokes, I don't know. Well slapstick humour is still popular today but back then it wasn't coarse. Fecal matter and regurgitated food became funny only in the 90s.

I've only gone through less than a fifth of the book ( part 1 chapter 15) and I understand that the entire book is about this farmer who read so much fiction about chivalrous knights saving damsels in distress that one day he decided to become a knight errant. So he put on some old armour used by his ancestors ages ago, saddled his farmhorse and named a girl in a nearby village as his lady love without her knowledge.

Then he travelled on his horse with his squire he recruited early in his journey, using the morals as described by various novels (including the tales of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table) to handle problems he met on the road, only to land themselves in trouble more often than not. Somehow everyone managed to see him as a crazy man except for Sancho, who actually believed he was a knight.

Anyways this is definitely not the sort of book that keeps me turning the pages, but it serves well enough as a filler while I search for other books. Good books in the fantasy and sci-fi genre aren't limitless after all, not when Terry Goodkind is done writing the Sword of Truth books, Robert Jordan is dead, George R. R. Martin is taking forever to write the next Song of Ice and Fire novel, Isaac Asimov is long dead and Terry Goodkind is using the same old formula for all of his trilogies.

One would have thought that with 6 billion people in the world we could have written more quality books than this. Well the truth sucks.

Unrelated but here's some Brokeback Potter.



"You fraternised with the enemy!"
"Oh no, I didn't enter."

No comments:

Post a Comment