Sunday 31 January 2010

Rant 487 / Mouse Farts

In real life, silencers do not reduce the noise caused by firing guns into a mouse fart. Some do reduce the noise (but not to that degree), others simply hide the source of the sound, ie make nearby people think the gun is at another location.












This month's edition of National Geographic magazine contains a few photos taken by Hubble. Looking at them, it made me realize how tiny everything is. "Size is relative", quote from Stephen King's Gunslinger series. How true.

Reminds me of this insult about Singapore being a tiny red dot. Compared to the rest of the galaxy, Earth isn't even a visible dot; compared to the rest of the Universe, our entire Milky Way is basically a negligible bit of coagulated dust.

From this, another realization: even when you think you know how immense our Universe is, you really don't. You have nothing to compare it with, hence you cannot truly see the scale of things it is made of. Without a suitable gauge, how can we tell the size of Everything?

It is hard even to comprehend the magnitude of a single light-year. Sure, you can tell me it's 10^13 (ten trillion) kilometres, but can you imagine that?

Those photos in the magazine show so much, yet so little. Ten more lifetimes wouldn't be enough to visit every single star and planet in one of those pictures even if we have the technologies for light speed travel.

Size is definitely relative. What is really big and small? It's all in our minds.












So I heard carrot avocado milkshake (aka smoothies) taste good. Sounds like a good idea, going to try it someday.













Getting tired of ME2's minigame for searching for minerals. Minerals are necessary for upgrades, which has replaced ME1's equipment system. It's so tedious to scan every inch of each planet. At least in ME1 it's more fun to drive the Mako around hoping to encounter an undiscovered Thresher Maw and reaping $$$.

The bonuses for completing ME2 once did give me some cool mineral bonuses, but 50k of each of the 4 doesn't really help much, except for Element Zero which is very rare and not used frequently. Now I have too much Element Zero, though it used to be that my heart would leap whenever I discover deposits of this on planets.

Also, can't wait to finally get the Probes upgrade so that I can store more. 30 is way too little. It really breaks my momentum when I run out of Probes and have to go to a nearby depot for a refill.

Other than that, things are going well. Finally got used to the style of the Sentinel, realized I've been playing too much like a Soldier. Soldiers don't use abilities often and just shoot to kill, while other classes require more frequent use of their abilities.

According to some online discussions, the Sentinel really isn't the hardest class to use. Apparently it's even worse to go as the Infiltrator. Not sure why, probably because I love sniping. Or maybe it's because they don't get extra armour or shields.

Anyway, I'm loving Throw. Its fast cooldown makes its close to my second close-combat weapon. Also very useful for certain situations because I can bend it (yea like Beckham or Avatar, whatever). By aiming my crosshair away from the target while keep the lock-on brackets on it, I can fling my Throw (it's a ball-like thing) in the direction of my crosshair and it would then curve towards my target.

It usually disrupts them, though it doesn't allow me to shoot them like Reave does (they just fall behind their original cover to another cover). One use for this, other than pushing enemies away so that I can fire at them, is to stop enemies who are approaching me from an angle blocked by an obstacle.

Reave, to me, is very useful in two ways. First it is effective at damaging the enemies no matter what protection they have, be it biotic barriers or shields. Second, it disables unprotected enemies and forces them to stand up, making them easy targets for sniping. For this reason, I hate Pull. Floating, free-moving targets aren't easy to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment