Thursday 28 January 2010

Rant 485 / The iPad Is A Virtual Female Hygiene Product

The iPad looks interesting and I think it's pretty cheap (500 USD) compared to other gadgets for this sort. Then again, I haven't much knowledge about this device. Got to wait some more to see what it really is made of.












ME2 is worth the buy, from what I've seen so far. Gameplay is almost perfect, except for the nearness of the protagonist to the screen. I'd prefer more distance between him and me so that he blocks less of my view.

Almost perfect. I'll give it 9/10. I've played through once, completing all the side-quests that would give my party members their fourth abilities. I have only encountered 1 major glitch that caused my guy to get stuck. No crashes, nothing. Even alt-tabbing is completely fine. I went so far as to alt-tab out to watch a movie on Windows Media Player while having dinner. I returned to the game smoothly.

Bugs also include about 3 occasions when the people moved unnaturally during conversations, Shepard's head not moving when I run around (he keeps staring at the side when I move him after a conversation with Joker) and Shepard not changing direction when I move my mouse until I hit Escape and return. Nothing that would kill me.

Story is fine, except it's not as flattering as the one in first game. In ME1 you end up as the hero that saved a galaxy, but ME2 ended rather quietly. Not spoiling anything here, so I'll not go into details.

Difficulty is raised. Hardcore mode in ME2 is much more difficult than Insanity on ME1. ME1 Insanity mode doesn't kill me multiple times on one of the bosses in the main quest except for that one Krogan Warlord when I was saving Liara. Did I mention I was using the physically weakest class, Sentinel, on Hardcore? Using a Soldier is always easy because he's got extra HP and damage, but a Sentinel only has extra armour.

Also ammo is a huge problem. In ME1 we get infinite ammo. In ME2 guns need to cooldown using "thermal clips". In practice it is the same as needing bullets and I can never get enough of them to last throughout long battles unless I run around. I can no longer just stay at the furthest defensive position and snipe the heck out of the entire enemy army. Now I have to run around to pick up the ammo they drop if I want to keep sniping. As a Soldier I can only hold 12 Sniper rounds (for the good rifles).

Enemies also use their powers a lot. Dodging them is a necessity. Fortunately they don't use the same powers as my party does. However they do know how to use Tech Armour like my Sentinel, which raises armour level. At least that's better than them being able to use Incinerate or Pull. If you play the game you'll know what these does.




Finished a first run with a Soldier imported from ME1. It was my first character, so I thought it's only right to use it again as my first in this sequel. Started out on Veteran difficulty, since its description says it's recommended for players who have beaten ME1. Bullshit. It's too easy. The only time I died was because of the glitch that got me stuck that I mentioned somewhere above.

Soldier + sniper specialty (you can get the training late into the game) = killing machine. By exploiting a certain game mechanism, snipers with the multiple ammo skills you get as a Soldier are basically invincible. The game mechanism I'm talking about is the ability to move your crosshair while paused by holding Shift. Once the guy pops his head up to fire at you, hold Shift and aim, then release Shift and fire. Bang! Headshot! Next target please!

Now I'm in my second run as a Sentinel (also imported) on Hardcore difficulty. Much harder. In fact I'm dying in normal battles with mini-bosses, eg Geth Primes. I'm also getting used to hitting F for melee attacks, something I've never bothered to use before. Getting into desperate situations more frequently than I'd like.

I'm not sure if I can handle Insanity after this. Probably will take a break from ME2 after this since I'm planning to complete all sidequests in this second run.









Light salt, contains half the usual sodium. In other words, there is only half a jar of salt. No seriously, it's true. The other half is potassium chloride (KCl). Pretty sure that other salt doesn't do anything. According to Wikipedia, it has a weak and bitter flavour.

Why the heck does anyone want to ruin their salt with that??

If that isn't enough, KCl is toxic if you eat too much of it. There is a 50% chance of dying if you consume 2.5g per kg of your own body weight, eg take 250g of potassium chloride if you're 100kg. That jar has 311g and assuming it's exactly 50% KCl, you can't pour the entire jar into your mouth if you weigh 62.2kg or less.

I really don't get why there are people who actually buy that instead of using less salt instead.













A shop in my neighbourhood is selling large unbranded packets (maybe 500g, not sure) of salted macadamia nuts for S$13.60. That's significantly cheaper than those branded ones available at supermarkets. This and certain other unbranded foods are available only for Chinese New Year. I think I should buy a few more packets to last half a year, maybe store them in the fridge or something since they don't have an expiry date. I'm not going to eat them all consecutively, just in case you get the wrong ideas.

Quality is pretty good, tested half a packet already. Wonder where they got this from.

No comments:

Post a Comment