Thursday 15 October 2009

Rant 449 / Cranky

When they said that fats would cause decomposition in the jerky faster, I didn't think they meant within 24 hours. I'm not kidding! Tiny white patches appeared on the marbling of two of the pieces yesterday morning, even though they were made only in the evening on the day before. I thought a tiny bit of fat left in the beef would improve the taste, but it looks like I have to find the leanest cuts of beef with absolutely no marbling for my next batch.












The narrator of Fallout 3, the man who says the most memorable quote of the series in all 3 games, "War. War never changes." is the very same guy who plays Hellboy in the Hellboy movies.

I didn't notice that.












My NOD32 told me my Internet Explorer, which I rarely use, had been infiltrated by a trojan. This happened just 5 minutes before Windows Update informed me of an update that fixes certain security issues in IE. So I am updating it while letting the antivirus programme make an in-depth scan on my entire hard disk.

I'm worried.

Okay after update, it's fine. But I'll scan one more time, just in case. It's not disruptive, so I'm fine with it.








The latest estimate puts the time required for the Arctic ice caps to melt completely is 20 years. Within 2 decades, Russia and Northern Europe will have a new sea route to North America in summer. There are 2 major implications:

1) Earth will no longer have a white top when photographed from space.

2) The world's climate system is going to be FUBAR. The world's weather is closely related to currents in our waters. These currents are affected mainly by salinity and temperature. Formation of ice increases salinity and the ice regulates the temperature to what we are used to.

We will definitely adapt to it of course, but not before it costs our economy fortunes to do so.












I am having a difficult time deciding whether to spend my 250 PTZ on Lockerz. I was thinking of saving the PTZ, but I just remembered I can make more after this, especially if I receive a 4GB iPod shuffle which is going at S$118 at the online iPod store (Singapore branch). Just looking at it will give me more motivation to register email accounts during the holidays.

Maybe I should spend all I have.












Saturday is another birthday. It's difficult to decide what to cook. Let's face it, I'm not a good cook. I'll probably make some buttered toast, the sort that's barely browned. And continue to experiment with jerky just because it's easy.












It's 9.21am (9.21pm EDT) and I have not redeemed anything from Lockerz. The 4GB iPod Shuffle was not released, only the 1GB version. I considered getting the Flip Video Ultra HD camcorder, but a quick Googling told me that it recorded Youtube-quality videos.

I checked their FB page and they were saying that some items will not be posted in these 4 time slots, but probably in the unannounced postings later between now and the next restocking event in November.

The flash drives aren't there either, so there's nothing I can do now but wait till the next update at 7pm tonight (7am EDT, 16 Oct).

Anyway, this is the first time I've attended this event and I can tell you that some items like the iPods went out of stock FAST. I clicked on the redemption menu at 9.01am and after a minute of "waiting for Lockerz.com", I got in only to find all iPods gone. It feels as if they have only 1 of each colour in stock, but seeing that their FB page has over 35k fans, there must be like 80k or even 100k people all trying to log in to grab them.

It's basically like a DDOS attack, in which tons of packets of data requesting access are sent to the server simultaneously. Many probably opened several tabs of Lockerz like I did (one to change my address to my real one, another for redemption, another for reading their latest announcements), so it intensifies the traffic problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment