Monday 12 October 2009

Rant 446 / 2013


So is this considered landed property? Or would a person living in one consider himself a traveller, since he can just roll his home to wherever he wants?

For anyone living in a hostel/dorm/hall, this really isn't too far from what they're living in. I mean, all they have in their room is nothing but a desk and a bed anyway.

Living in one of these would be pretty exciting on April Fools' Day.

Too bad you can't stack these.












So the world is going to end in 2012 because the ancient Mayans couldn't count beyond the 4-digit number. Apparently Mayan brains just couldn't accept any number from 2013 and larger. "There is no number after 2012, hence all existence will end in the year 2012."

Nah, just kidding.












Brie. Bought a piece of it to try last Friday. I've probably tried it before when it was served in certain buffets I visited, but I never actually experienced it in the right way. I don't know about anyone else, but to me there is eating and there is eating. It's just like the way there are two ways to eat chocolate:

1) Bite, chew. Usually for M&M, Ferrero Rocher and Kit Kat.
2) Bite, leave on tongue, close eyes, gently rub it between your tongue and the top of your mouth, feel it melt. Usually for good chocolate that you like.

Seriously, if you have spent over $10 on a small box of chocolate and you used the first method on the entire box, I'd say you've wasted your money. Skipping all other parts of option 2 is fine, but spreading the melting chocolate all over your tongue is a necessity to fully appreciate chocolate. Eating it that way amplifies all the sensations that the chocolate offers. That is why I dislike chocolate that is very sweet, especially those as sweet as Kit Kat.

Personally I find that in order to really taste something, you also have to be alone in a quiet and comfortable environment. The "alone" part is optional, but it really helps.

Back to the cheese. Expensive stuff, cost me over S$10 and wasn't very big. It's a section of a wheel, as they call the uncut circular piece of cheese, about 7cm radius and at an estimated 30-40 degrees.

But it was worth the money. The cheese, without the rind, taste like something between butter and cheese, or a slightly stronger-tasting butter that doesn't liquefy. It feels like Kraft cheese on my finger when it was cold, but it kind of melts when warmed to room temperature. I learnt that the hard way when I placed the cheese on a paper plate next a ham sandwich.

I had cut out a small portion of the original piece and separated it into 4 pieces, 2 with the mouldy rind and 2 pure brie. The 2 triangles with the white mould, I placed them rind-side down, while the 2 clean pieces also on the plate. The latter were stuck on the plate when they melted and I had to gently scrape them up.

The mouldy parts taste much stronger, which really isn't saying anything since the pure brie was extremely mild. The mould also feels smooth like talcum powder, except it doesn't rub off the cheese.

In short, brie without the rind tastes like paradise, if you like butter and cheese. And next time, I'm going to put them straight into my mouth.

Even though brie is made with a few types of fungus in the Penicillum genus, it doesn't raise your resistance against illness because its not the same species they make Penicillin from.












Do you sit in front of your computer, with your study materials in front of you while you play/do other stuff? I do. I also call that "lying to myself". Fuck me, I'm screwed.

No comments:

Post a Comment