Thursday 21 May 2009

Rant 356 / Tomorrow Is A Good Day To Die

This is the 356th rant! If I had been diligently ranting every single day this archive of rants would have been exactly a year old. Instead, this webpage is already 3 years old, so I've been ranting at an average rate of once every 3 days for the last 3 years. Since there are so many threes in this paragraph I'll just list three things about myself that you don't already know even if you've read through everything recorded here so far.

1) I'm typing this only because I got a little tired of slashing monsters in Fallout 3. It's getting too easy and I'm considering not using my Shishkebab anymore just to make it harder.

2) I'm fully aware that the first paragraph of this rant makes no sense, especially the part about typing these just because there are multiple "3"'s in the paragraph.

3) I haven't had a bath in years, ever since the last bathtub broke. I slipped in the soapy water and something cracked when I fell. I turned around and saw my head had hit the side of the tub, causing multiple fractures in the tub structure. Nah, just kidding. The damned tub was made of hollow plastic and it eventually cracked and water filled the empty parts.








After hitting lv22 in Fallout 3 and boosting my Melee skill to 89 in the process, things have been getting almost too easy. It also helps that by investing in the Canterbury travelling salesmen to the max they can repair my equipment to about 90%. The better the condition of my stuff, the more effective they are. So my weapon deals better damage and my Hellfire armour set is like a wall of titanium.

Well, I did say "almost". I found out just how godlike I was when I tried to complete the main quest. In one part where I'm supposed to use the Presidential Metro beneath the White House, I was beset by Ghoul Reavers. These are the new Ghouls of the expansion, and they are TOUGH!

One hit from them takes about an eighth of my HP, even with 90% repaired Hellfire armour. They also throw radioactive projectiles at me.

Before I entered the tunnels where the Metro security Sentinel robots were fighting the Ghoul invasion, I thought I was able to cut through the robots like a hot knife through butter.

As I watched a Ghoul Reaver anally rape one of the robots, I realized these things are probably the only monsters in the game that could do more damage than I can. Hell, even the Deathclaw-infested Old Olney was like a walk through the park for me.

When I charged in with my flaming sword ablazed, two Reavers attacked me. Sure, 2 other Sentinels and my dear Fawkes were spamming their special Gatling Lasers at them, but it's like only my weapon could do any damage, about 1 bar per hit unless I crit (which I get a lot).

But because I wasn't used to the mad damage they do and there was a considerable amount of lag (too many things happening for my laptop to handle), I died before I could hit Tab to spam Stimpaks. Of course I know there's a shortcut key (I think), but I'm too used to healing myself slowly in the Pip-boy console. Doing it is like pausing the game and taking a mental break while healing.

I died twice in the tunnels during the onslaughts of Reavers and Glowing Ones (used to be the strongest Ghoul).

Later I read in the Fallout wiki that there are also Super Mutant Overlords in Broken Steel, but my level is probably not high enough to get any to spawn. I'm guessing they are even tougher than the Reavers. If so, I doubt I can hit lv30 without finding a better weapon.

Maybe I really should find the Experimental MIRV again, the crazy mini-Nuke launcher that shoots 8 projectiles per shot. I'll probably use console cheats to give myself infinite ammo if I do. Using it indoors would be so cool... if I don't die, that is.









Woohoo! I finally realized how I can stop failing in my finances in Caesar 4. I have to restrain myself constantly to do so because everytime I see a complaint (not enough jobs, too many jobs, not enough food) I build more and more and more. Too many houses full of people? More factories and farms. Too many jobs unfilled? More houses! It's a deadly spiral to bankruptcy.

But I did it. I stopped myself and let a few people go jobless. Too bad, man. Life's tough. Better luck next time.







Tomorrow I go to my doom. I haven't done anything physically demanding for the past... year(s?), so I'm not sure if I will be able to even complete the 2.4km run. Yes I am that out of shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment