Sunday 3 May 2009

Rant 349 / Ka

Was playing Runes of Magic when my mum accidentally switched off my laptop. All of the electronic appliances in my room are connected to a multi-plug, plugged into one electrical outlet right under the main switch of my home's air-conditioning system.

I was fighting in the midst of a group of elite mobs, mammoths that would rape me to death if not for the special dart gun I had just for this quest (with 10s cooldown), when I got disconnected.

Thank goodness I have the Vanish skill!

When I was rebooting my laptop and opening the game, I had only 1 thing in mind. When I logged in and waited for it to load, I had my pointer placed at the spot where I had put my Vanish skill.

The Vanish skill removes all aggro (aggression from mobs) from me and turns me invisible for 20s. Immediately when I logged in one of the mobs had already hit me once and took my HP down to 40%. I Vanished before the next hit landed and ran!

LOL! Bloody close.






Read about the 1982 Argentinian invasion of the Falkland Islands, which are a group of islands under British control while I was installing The Last Remnant and Dawn of War 2.

It is actually quite exciting to read about actual battles. I'm not the least bit interested in getting involved in any, but damn it's better than reading novels since you know they actually happened.

What's more is that they can be quite interesting when you read about how one side makes wrong assumptions about the other side. In this particular battle, a dozen Argentinian commandoes caused the British commander to believe that there were more than 200 enemy marines seiging them. Eyebrow-raising.

This was actually quite short, especially compared to the attack of Germany on Stalingrad in WWII. In fact it only last a couple of hours before the British Governor offered his surrender. By the time they realized they had heavily outnumbered the soldiers outside their position, it was too late to fight because Argentinian reinforcements had just arrived.

But the best part was the telegraph conversation between the Falkland Island operator and a British Ministry of Defence operative. Keep in mind the Brits had no idea what was happening there except for info from Argentina (who were probably trying to shove their victory into their faces, metaphorically speaking) on the 2nd of April since the surrender only happened on the 1st.

Copied and pasted this from Wikipedia.

At 4.30am on 2 April, the Governor's telex operator had this conversation with a Ministry of Defence operative in London, announcing that the islands were under Argentine control.[27]

LON (London): HELLO THERE WHAT ARE ALL THESE RUMOURS WE HEAR THIS IS LON
FK (Falklands): WE HAVE LOTS OF NEW FRIENDS
LON: WHAT ABOUT INVASION RUMOURS
FK: THOSE ARE THE FRIENDS I WAS MEANING
LON: THEY HAVE LANDED?
FK: ABSOLUTELY
LON: ARE YOU OPEN FOR TRAFFIC IE NORMAL TELEX SERVICE?
FK: NO ORDERS ON THAT YET ONE MUST OBEY ORDERS
LON: WHOSE ORDERS
FK: THE NEW GOVERNORS
LON: ARGENTINA?
FK: YES
LON: ARE THE ARGENTINIANS IN CONTROL?
FK: YES YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH THOUSANDS OF TROOPS PLUS ENORMOUS NAVY SUPPORT WHEN YOU ARE ONLY 1600 STRONG. STAND BY.

LOL! It's amazing how that guy could keep his sense of humour knowing they have just been conquered by another country. I bet it was a local, a Falkland native who really wasn't concerned about who was in charge.






Anyway The Last Remnant looks fantastic! Imagine FFXII on PC! I was so happy my laptop could run it had medium on all settings I almost cried. Until it crashed and I had to force-shutdown the laptop. Then a wierd sound came from underneath the computer. I almost cried again. Then I realized it was the ventilating board (that thing with the fans that I put under my laptop). Imagine my relief!

But after 2 tries, I gave up on it. It always crashed at one point in the first battle. My diagnosis is that my laptop can't handle this.

Now to return to Dawn of War 2.

I'm leaving RoM for a while. Maybe they'll add something more to the game in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment