Tuesday 26 March 2013

Rant 1120 / Bioshock Infinite Almost Had A FOV Issue

So I'm playing 2 games together, since I haven't finished Chinese Paladin 3 and I bought Bioshock Infinite.

Pre-purchased it on Steam because I like the bundle deal. It's got the first Bioshock, X-Com and some in-game freebies. Didn't get the season pass because I have some doubts about the DLCs. Maybe if they're good I'll get them at a discount.

Maybe it's also because the season pass doesn't come with any interesting freebies. More ingame stuff? No thanks.

I already have some interest in the first Bioshock and I like X-Com. In fact, X-Com is one of the games I planned on buying once it hits 75% off (expected to happen far into the future, of course).

It was also until after I bought it that I realized there was a slightly better deal on Amazon that included all that I got except instead of the first Bioshock, it came with US$30 of credit that can only be spent on other 2K games (except for pre-orders).

Slightly better because I have no interest in buying any 2K games in the foreseeable future.




Can't play Bioshock constantly because despite the largest FOV I can adjust it to, I still get nausea after several hours. Just means I can't do marathons.


 ...

Fortunately, someone had immediately come up with a solution.

go to: Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config

Open up "XUserOptions.ini"

Find the line "MaxUserFOVOffsetPercent="

Change it to "MaxUserFOVOffsetPercent=30.000000"


My original value was 15 and after changing to 30, the last 3 hours of non-stop playing did not make me feel nauseous at all.

Fantastic!

Best of all, I haven't played a new and good game in such a long, long time, I can actually feel the difference.

Practically for every game I've played in the last year or two, they were almost always old. I just haven't been catching up with new games much and most of the recent AAA games didn't interest me.

In fact, much of my knowledge of these famous games came from watching streams unless I stated explicitly here that I've played them.

The truth is, a lot of stuff that make games look awesome don't get noticed by the player when he's focusing on the important parts, like the locations of the enemies. Since a long time ago, I've observed that I don't observe much when I'm playing a game.

Speaking of unnoticed features, I just realized my bro's Alienware laptop's keyboard turns red when the game shows a red screen. It normally glows blue but turns red during those moments like it syncs with the bloody screens in games he's playing.

Looks very cool but the fact is that he never sees it. He knows it does that but come on, who on earth looks at his keyboard when playing games? All experienced gamers know exactly where every key is down to his subconscious mind.

Heck, most of my keys no longer display the alphabets but I still know where they are by positioning my fingers on specific keys first. I think that's almost identical to the proper way of typing, except instead of using the F and J keys, I use WASD. Once I get WASD (or just any single one of them) right, I know where every other key is instinctively.

It's normal.

Anyway, nobody looks at his keyboard when he's almost dead in a game. Therefore, that feature is utterly pointless.

Back to the game.

It's awesome. I'm playing on Hard and I've died several times. I'm just not really used to using both magic and guns at the same time.

The biggest mistake I've made, however, was not activating my pre-order bonus before playing, hence missing several items including a golden gun.

:(

Oh well, I'm pretty sure I'll be playing this at least one more time, unless the ending turns out to be a disappointment.

Moreover, I don't need the bonus anyway. I feel that I'm handling things pretty well so far; I just need to use magic more often.

So far I've just left the First Lady, and the chase scene before that was absolutely the best I've seen in a while.

As for the performance,


Basically, it's saying that my PC is pretty damn awesome. The lowest FPS happened in a scene change, so that means during gameplay, my computer can always run the game smoothly.

Also, this benchmarking test was done on the highest settings possible on my monitor's native resolution of 1920*1080.

It really doesn't lag.





Speaking of my monitor, I've finally got a solid answer from Philips telling me that replacing the power unit of the old monitor, if indeed it's the power unit's fault, will be S$50. That's excluding the onsite repair fee of S$80, so that adds up to S$130. No idea if that includes GST.

My new monitor, which is larger (I've checked because right now I'm keeping the old monitor just behind the new one on my desk) and brand new with 3 years of warranty again, cost me only S$183 net (I checked the receipt).

In other words, it costs me about $70 more to get a brand new monitor (including return trip cab fare) with another 3 years of warranty.

Why the heck not?

I don't think the warranty is such a big deal since the old one was bought in June 2009 (lasted 3 years and 9 months) but it's just nice to have it.

And speaking of the new monitor, I've finally come to the conclusion that it's not worth it to buy my stuff from the Carnival Sales. The discounts aren't that great anymore.

I'm not sure if it really matters, however, because Philips has just sold away its audio and video department, hence it might stop organizing this sale for all I know.

It's sad. Suddenly two nice companies I know are selling all their stuff away, the other being Creative Technologies. Well, Creative's wasn't exactly unexpected; Philips's was. It's quite shocking how badly its consumer electronics have really been doing - practically everything was making serious losses despite being their core business.

Philips Electronics, once one of the world's biggest manufacturers of television sets, agreed to sell its audio and video business to Japan's Funai Electric Co for 150 million euros (£130 million).

Philips, which will also receive licence fees from Funai, reported a fourth-quarter net loss of 355 million euros - widening from a year-ago loss of 160 million euros - as it cited previously flagged provisions and charges. 

In case it isn't clear, 150 million euros are peanuts for something that big. Philips was probably desperate to wash its hands off it. On the other hand, I wonder how Funai is going to turn around a business that has just made a loss of 355 million euros in merely a quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment