Sunday 17 March 2013

Rant 1117 / Swords, Frozen Meats And Sequels

THU

I have this suspicion that people tend to think I'm blowing them off when I repeatedly tell them that I'm not at the office on multiple occasions. It's funny because I'm always honest when I use that excuse. In quiet months like this, there's no need for me to go there more than thrice a week.



























On Wednesday, I ordered some frozen meats from a local wholesaler online because the bacon there is so much cheaper. The only place in my neighbourhood that sells streaky bacon is the Shop N Save and it's priced at $3.99 for 200g, or $20 per kg.

That wholesaler is selling it at $9.50 per kg.

Most of the other items were actually cheaper than what I can get in the wet market, and the wet market is cheaper than Shop N Save.

So I bought $80 worth of frozen meat, just enough to get free delivery.

Yes I know it's weird to buy my groceries online when I have both a small supermarket and a wet market but the prices are just cheaper there.

Then I got a call at 9.30am today (Thursday) which I ignored due to the fact that I only just got up and was busy playing with my terrapin. Then he called again at 10.30am to confirm the order and inform me that it would delivered today between 2-5pm.

It arrived at around 2.30pm.


The order came in this styrofoam boxed, all taped up.


Removing the tape took some effort.


Translation: chicken vienna sausage, pork sausage, chicken breast, ox tendon, chicken leg, streaky bacon, pork bone, minced pork, sliced cheese, beef ball.

 The goodness within.


2 bags of 1kg minced pork, $6 per kg, total $12.



Beef balls, the kind used in pasta instead of the Chinese ones I expected, $12 for this 1kg bag.


Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, $5.50 per kg, $11 for this 2kg bag.


Whole chicken legs, $3.50 per kg, $5.25 for this 1.5kg bag.

And the rest. Sliced cheese at $2.60 per 200g packet; chicken sausage at $8 per 1kg packet, pork sausage at $8 per 1kg packet, streaky bacon at $9.50 per 1kg bag, beef tendon at $12 per 1kg packet, pork bones at $2.20 per 1kg packet.




Took the chicken breasts, half the bacon, 1 bag of minced pork and the chicken sausage out to thaw while the rest filled my empty freezer.

Finally, we have meat.

The only downside to this is that I can't customise the minced pork. Normally I prefer it to contain more fatty meat but I think this minced meat is pretty lean.

Almost everything about this is great. Not only is the bacon cheap but the cheese too. The pork bones are actually rare because they're usually sold out wherever I go since I never go out to shop for groceries in the early morning like 8am.

I should get some beef cubes next time for stew.


















Just tried the chicken sausage. Saltier than what I'm used to but longer, like 1.8 times the length of what I normally get. Cheese is thinner than the budget crap my bro got from Shop N Save but it's got better cheese taste than the tasteless budget stuff.

I think I'll get more of these in the future since our home consumes a lot of sausages. It's just such a great convenience food to go with bread and/or eggs.






















FRI

 


The minced pork is a lot finer than what I'm used to. Probably ground thrice or something. Drier too, probably due to being frozen longer.

























SUN


Finished 仙剑奇侠传2. Since I have vague memories of the last boss but none of the ending appeared familiar, I probably was at the last boss before my last hard disk died.

Or I might have finished the game but the ending wasn't particularly memorable.

Anyways, now I shall move on to 3.














Now that I've tried the chicken breasts, I'm beginning to see why this wholesaler isn't getting more popular than it should.

They taste a tiny bit gamey or fishy. Not the entire breasts, just one bite or two from each breast.

It's easily solved with marination but this means I can't simply bake them with minimal seasoning like I used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment