Wednesday 24 November 2010

Rant 668 / My First Permaban


I got permabanned from Face of Mankind. I had reinstalled it to give it another chance last month but got disappointed again. However, the day after I deleted it the GMs implemented a set of policies that appeared to me would clear the game of the trolls and griefers, so I reinstalled it a few days ago.

After killing my guy, which is the only way to change faction in a free account, I began to play as a member of the EC faction. It was then that I saw that the game was close to dying and had almost no gankers. Even when I was trying to permakill the first character I tried to get ganked by going AFK at New York City. After 5 minutes, I was still alive. That didn't happen when I was playing FoM last year.

Anyway I was just watching GSL and mining while chatting with another EC member during the breaks between matches when I suddenly got disconnected.

When I tried to login again, it said I was permanently banned.

So I submitted a ticket. Last night I got a reply from the Community Manager saying a hack was detected when I played. Apparently I was found to be "API hooking", whatever that's supposed to mean. According to him, that was such a serious offence that I was permabanned immediately despite my perfect record.

Furthermore, he did not answer my question of how I can prove that I didn't cheat. From this I deduced that there is no way to do so.

Googling gave me lots of very technical details that I cannot comprehend. After all, my programming knowledge is only limited to the very basics of C++. So I have little idea of what had happened. Can this be caused by a virus?



Not upsetting at all. I've only really tried to play this game for like 30mins or so and I didn't invest any money into it. It's a great game to multitask with because there isn't anything to do at all while mining and producing. Hence I'll create a new account if it's ok with them.

It is strange that this is happening at all though. I don't even know where I can get hacks from.

EDIT:

Their loss. More space for my C drive for more games. I already have some ready to be installed after Friday's morning paper anyway. Maybe I'll go back to UWO if they get boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment