Saturday 13 November 2010

Rant 659 / Reading Swann's Way



 












So I got a new headphone because it was pressing on the top of my head and I'm worried the constant pressing and the heat was going make me go bald like the previous one. Yea they don't for normal people, but I'm not normal when I wear them 16 hours a day.

Now I'm using these earbuds with a hook on each that goes around the ear. I don't use earbuds normally because they never seem to fit comfortably.

These aren't totally comfortable either - they're slightly painful to remove and insert. But at least now I don't have to worry about balding any longer.











Shotgun is making life better for me in New Vegas. It's exciting and when enemies are close, they're harder to aim at.

Also found out that the endings are different depending on your Karma level at the end. Apparently if you've been evil, whichever faction you side with will be more "evil" even if it's the NCR.

Now I'm curious about what happens if you help Caesar's Legion and, at the same time, have the highest Karma level.

Can slavers... be good?
































So there's this comic about zombies. Not as good as World War Z but repeating quests in New Vegas that I've already completed last week is getting a little boring.

Anyway, not much to say about it. Title is "The Walking Dead" some guy who woke up after a coma and found his hospital empty... except for the zombies.

The plot is getting too cliché seriously.

By the 38th issue, it was beginning to feel draggy. The events aren't very exciting and nothing seems to be moving. At least in World War Z the author kept switching perspectives to keep the momentum going and the feel fresh.

And it didn't just stay in the part where the zombies were still out there for ever and ever and ever.

Here, after 38 issues there was still no word of any military groups out there that managed to regroup and calling out for survivors. Not to mention that the drama just wasn't very dramatic.

Maybe I'm just setting my standards too high. I don't know. Comics are supposed to be much more dramatic than novels because of the visual impact that pictures can provide more effectively than words alone.

Still, it's about zombies.













Just learnt about this simple formula for a herbal tea when I saw that it was sold in small packets in the store my mum bought jars of birds nest from. I know nothing is simpler than chrysanthemum tea, but this is quite simple too. It's just chrysanthemum, wolfberry (枸杞子) and slices of ginseng. I just need to add hot water to the mix and that's it. All three can be bought in dried form separately including sliced ginseng, so there's no need to buy those packets other than for the convenience of not having to measure anything or re-seal any bags all the time.












Because of its recent financial difficulties, the US is considering the idea of raising the retirement age to 69.

The proposal suggests raising the Social Security retirement age to 68 by 2050 and 69 by 2075 with a "hardship exception" for certain occupations, the draft said.
I think part of the reason this was suggested was because none of the people who raised this will be affected anyway. They reap the rewards while the next generation pays the price.




Singapore is also thinking about this but I have no idea when it will happen. If it does, I don't think they should have it as late as what the Americans have in mind. Who's to say we won't encounter new problems before 2050? 40 years is a long time after all, in terms of economical crises.




















Somehow I'm losing interest in the books in my collection. It probably reflects the change of attitude towards life.


I've figured out since secondary school that people who like fantasy novels dislike reality. This means I no longer dislike reality.


The thing is, I'm still trying to find out what exactly my attitude is right now towards life.


Can it be apathy? Because I don't seem to really give a shit about anything these days, not even my own future.


Due to this, I'm sensing a new worry for myself.


A recent nightmare led me to a deduction that it was really a manifestation of a problem that my subconscious mind is foreseeing.


Every man wants to be respected. It's just human nature. 

But if I live my life as planned, I will be less respected than most of my peers, if it hasn't happened already.


Right now it's still not so bad. It's like losing several SCVs due to an early rush that was pushed back. The difference is small but it will grow.


Which means I need to rethink my plan.


I need to do something.




























Black Ops sold more than 5.6mil copies in the first 24 hours. Amazing. I've been watching some people play the campaign on the 360 via livestream.com and it was not my cup of tea. A bit of a mindfuck ending and some variety in terms of gameplay during different stages, like playing as a commander in RTS mode, defending a certain position and flying a combat helicopter.

But I'm not very interested in modern warfare.


Multiplayer gets even less attention from me. 


























So SGX.com has this FAQ for the uninitiated like myself. Quite educational but doesn't cover nearly enough to make me confident enough to use real money. It's only the ABCs of shares trading, not enough for me to write an essay with.


Hence I'm looking for a SGX simulation to play with that uses real prices from the Singapore Exchange. Apparently there used to be a few but they're no longer there.


I want to play with Monopoly money first :\






















I really prefer the current RT sessions compared to the ones I attended last year. It is so easy!


What we did for our weight loss programme in the last session:


20mins of brisk walking
10mins break
20mins of brisk walking
20 overhead claps
20 crunches
10s of holding legs straight 5 degrees above the ground
10 pushups


The hardest part was actually the 10s despite being the shortest. 5 degrees is really a lot harder than the 45 degrees most of us are used to.


It was so easy the PTI said his SI complained to him that we were "too dry" and that they were going to pace us next time. The original instructions the PTI gave us was that we should walk as fast as we could or jog if we wanted, but no running because the main point is to burn fats and building muscle is secondary. He didn't set a pace so some of us were actually strolling in the evening breeze like they were dating in a park/beach.


It's not that it's really that relaxing, but that they probably didn't know how hard to push some of us. I sweat even when I walk at my normal pace because I have always perspired very easily since young, but I noticed some behind me whose backs were wet at the end. And no, they didn't almost overlap me.


Those guys were probably the reason why the PTIs didn't want to pace us. How does one set a pace when they're mixed in a group with those who could jog for hours? I noticed some who were jogging for the entire walking part of the session despite being overweight like the rest of us. They were either very athetic (hence the misleading BMI) or their BMIs were only slightly above 27.


Now why would I want to choose IPT over this? I even get paid more than enough to cover my cab fares for attending RT while IPT doesn't give me a cent.


Then again, I have no idea how hard it's going to get in the future.


























This is ironic. Today I noticed two articles on Care2.com which seems to have a link, though in different ways to different people.


First I read this article which describes this child whose buttocks were paddled to the point of welting and bruising merely because he failed a science test. I know it's overboard, but that's not the main issue I want to highlight.


Almost all the comments this article received expressed shock and disgust that corporal punishment is still allowed at all in 20 states in the US, while over 85% of the 500 votes so far said "NO!" to corporal punishment in school.


Next I came across this article which said that less than a third of the American high school teachers believe their students are ready for university.


See the link?


If you side with corporal punishment, you would see what I see - that American children are obviously spared the rod so much they suck at studying.


On the other hand, if you're a complete pacifist, you'd see that too many children were obviously beaten by their teachers (TWENTY STATES still allow corporal punishment in schools!!!) or their abusive parents, and the emotional scars are causing them to suck at studying.


Truth is perception.


People are never blind to what is in front of them. They just see things differently.




















GSL finals... 5pm SGT tomorrow!


RT... 4pm SGT tomorrow!


Nah, not wasting my last RT-skipping chance for this. And no I'm not spending them on IPPT days either like some of the other RT guys suggested. IMO that's retarded. On those days we can come earlier to finish the whole IPPT in like 40mins and leave. I can probably come and go before the taxi peak hours begin at 5pm, so why would I skip those days?






















Yesterday I ordered Pastamania again. This time I skipped the Combo menu and went for the Pasta menu because there were some I couldn't pick when I order a Combo.


It was then that I learnt that I could upsize the pasta if I order ala carte!


So I ordered a Vongole Fusilli again for myself, but upsized (normal: $8.90, upsize: $11.10). I don't get to eat any sort of crustaceans at home because it's hard to pick the fresh ones and prepare properly, and my bro totally avoids them because they're troublesome to eat. This means it's almost not worth the effort for my mum to cook any crabs, prawns, clams and whatever seafood out there that come with shells.


Of course it's not as filling as $11.10 worth of KFC or MacDonald's, but I can't eat those too often. Once or twice a month is good enough. Also completely avoiding Pizza Hut now. Seriously overpriced now that the Large pizza has shrunk again to 12".

Let's compare these 4 using about $15 if we want to go for best quantity:


Pastamania - $14.70 for 3 regular Aglio Olio or Pomodoro, both vegetarian pastas
Pizza Hut - $15.50 for a regular 10" Viva pizza in the Family Favourite range
KFC - $15.90 for a Bargain Deal (6pc chicken, 2 med Whipped Potato, 1 med Coleslaw)
MacDonald's - $15.20 for 2 upsized Big Mac meals or $14 for 7 Double Cheeseburgers or McChickens


Not the best comparison since Pizza Hut doesn't have a combo meal under $21, but one thing is for sure - MacDonald's offers the best quantity because of the $2 burgers. KFC has $2.20 burgers but they're really tiny.


But after a few meals, Mac gets really boring.


Oh yes, I also checked Domino's since I had that the other day at Vic's place. It offers nothing worth comparing at $15. Apparently because it doesn't charge a delivery fee, all the prices are pretty much jacked up. But I believe they have coupons or something for customers that would allow them to buy 2 regular pizzas for about $25, so that's like $12 or $13 per regular 9" pizza. 

Whether that's actually cheaper than Pizza Hut is debatable since the latter also offers better combos at higher prices, like the $29.90 Family Meal which consists of 2 regular Viva 10" pizzas from both the Supreme range and the Family Favourite range plus 4pcs wings. Looks better than Domino's offer but Pizza Hut also has a $3 delivery charge.


Between these 2, Pizza Hut looks like the better option if ordering in larger amounts so that they can offset the delivery charge. For smaller amounts like 2 regular pizzas, Domino's seems cheaper.




















So after mentioning about looking for a trading simulation just now, I decided to try the Investopedia's simulator. Btw a lot of the stuff in that wiki appear irrelevant to me since I'm not in the US.


Anyway, I set up some buy offers before the market opened at about 9.30pm SGT and when I came back to look at it before going to bed (after typing this), this is what I found:


Holy shit! I'm glad I didn't spend real money. Of the 100k USD I started with, the boxed amount is now what I'm worth after spending US$80k. Lost over 1% of my net worth in my first hours. Makes me glad I'm playing with only Monopoly money.


Now I wonder what would happen if I hold on to these for an extended period of time...

No comments:

Post a Comment