Wednesday 10 November 2010

Rant 658 / Speaking Of Which

Just found this interesting page called "Lamebook" which contains various screenshots of humourous stuff that people post on FB both accidentally and deliberately.



















The first was taken from the website of Channel NewsAsia. The second was from Reuters.

Both are saying almost almost the same thing, except the first is almost neutral since it's supposed to be merely a rephrase of what someone else said ("as Western governments lashed out at..."). The second is a lot more biased, especially with the phrase "a choreographed vote".













Singaporeans are getting fatter. 54.1% of us do not exercise. 10.8% are obese. Despite the minuscule amount of relief I feel from being in the majority in terms of exercise routine, there isn't much that can be done to combat this short of reducing our rights and freedom.

When food becomes cheaper relative to our income, it is inevitable that we would eat more.

Obviously the weight loss programme for primary and secondary schools isn't working well enough. Maybe it isn't that they aren't exercising enough. Maybe the reason isn't as shallow as that. Maybe they just see no reason to lose weight.














I miss the smoke from Indonesia. When the PSI hit 100, we were practically having a constant cloudy weather, which made the indoors very comfortable without artificial aid. Of course it's bad for the lungs but Londoners have been living with smog for generations and yet you don't see them dying like flies today.













I was a little surprised that she was there. I didn't think we were going to do anything she would have been interested in, except maybe Citadels.

She was most definitely there only because they were going to attend the wedding together the next morning.

He didn't seem to mind watching us play a game that he normally wouldn't even touch, even pretended to be interested like I did. I just didn't know if she was just as tolerant.

She was not.

It was not surprising but it made me feel a little awkward.

Playing that PS3 game in their presence was like playing DotA when CY was around.

So I tried to get everyone to play Citadels. I had no idea if it was to her taste, but it was definitely better than trying DotA. There were, after all, only 4 options.

1) Keep playing PS3.
2) Play Citadels
3) Watch a movie
4) Play DotA.

Only 2) and 3) would have had any chance of working. 3) would have meant stopping them from playing their game entirely. The idea was to let those who really wanted to play that game stay on the PS3 while the rest play Citadels. Didn't work.

Hence when the two of them suddenly mentioned making ice cream floats I jumped on the idea.

Shouldn't have gone with them, but I didn't know if they would go for it if only she wanted it.

The better option would have been to stay while they were gone and tell the others why they should stop hogging the PS3.

20/20 hindsight, yes?

What's done is done.

A big mug would have been nice though. A mere cup of root beer and ice cream float just isn't enough.












Data from Internet security firm Symantec released in September showed that 70 percent of Internet users in Singapore had fallen victim at least once to cybercrime, including credit card fraud and identity theft.

Holy shit. I'm in the 70%. My Twitter account got hacked once. I wonder how I was careless enough to let anyone know my username and password. I'm still trying to figure it out. Not even my bro knows any of my passwords :\

Maybe any programmers reading this and looking for jobs should look at this industry. Take a few courses and call yourself a cyber forensics expert. Sounds cool too.











Gold just hit US$1400/oz. Didn't it just hit US$1000/oz like a month or two ago? I wonder if my suspicion was right when I said that it looked like a new bubble...















Yet another guide on being frugal.



Everyone's strategies will be different, since they're based on your own preferences. You might bring a bagged lunch every day but go on an international vacation every year, or indulge in restaurant meals while collecting coupons for the grocery store. As long as you're cutting back on the areas that aren't that important to you, you won't feel like you're making an impossible sacrifice.

 I completely agree with this part. You don't have to save on everything, just all the things you don't actually care about. I still wear faded clothes at home and towels with giant holes in them are used as mats/rags. I'm still using my old SAF towels and have yet to throw away any.

In the future I believe I'll be saving on overseas travel by not travelling at all. Maybe it's not in the future anymore. I probably won't be leaving Singapore this year or next.

So where will my money go?

I'm still trying to figure out how to buy shares. Nobody in my family does it so nobody can tell me how.

So far I've found that I need to open an account in DBS Vickers via iBanking. As far as I can tell I won't be able to buy the stuff which my aunt had recommended in passing before she left.

Need to set up an account in HK. So I looked up the same bank my mum used and voila! I think I can! But will need a lot of work. Need to apply for HKID first.










So I did my research on how to get my HKID. Not too inconvenient. Quite easy actually.

Initially misread a few lines and asked my mum if she had her HKID after '97. She said no, and went on a rant on why I shouldn't get it, including  that I will have to go back to Hong Kong to renew it soon after I get it.

Which, according to the website I linked to, is bullshit. I think she was thinking about the HKSAR passport, which must be collected in Hong Kong and costs like HK$168.

For some reason she just doesn't want me to get it.

I have no idea why I shouldn't. They aren't even charging an application fee for the ID. It's practically free of charge other than the stamp that I need to mail it to the Chinese embassy here in Singapore (my PRC friends told me the queues there can be horribly long). The only problem with the HKID is that I have to renew it within 30 days the next time I go to HK (worry about queues).












So I just checked on Lockerz to see if they're still holding that auction they had. They called it a "redemption" event just like all the others in which we spend points to buy stuff, except this time we bid for items with the points.

Items that usually went for around a thousand points went up had bids that went over thirty thousand.

I have less than two thousand points.

Fuck it.












So why didn't I publish this for 3 days?

No comments:

Post a Comment