Saturday 26 April 2008

Rant 129 / Everything Is Costing More Except Downloaded Stuff

Finished Planescape: Torment. It took about 3 days of intense concentration but I got the best ending. I had the help of a few walkthroughs because the game's maps aren't exactly user-friendly.

This game is the first I've every tried in which the final boss fight is OPTIONAL. Yea, with enough stats, I managed to talk my way through. LOL! In fact, talking is the only way to get the best ending.

The music in this game is fantastic, and it's not relative to the standards of that era. Whoever composed them really is good at creating sad music, and there are so many touching scenes in the game (it's all about dying after all).

And the characters are well-designed with great depth. Everyone's got a big background story, some of which are tied to the hero's past.

And the scriptwriters were the best! Because they were not able to create every single scene in CG, they had to describe everything not shown as vividly as possible, yet not make them too long.

If they had made this game using today's technology, it would have been a far greater masterpiece than Neverwinter Nights 2.

The combats were quite easy in the last dungeon even though I was a mage with the minimum DEX throughout the game. With an epic dagger found late into the game, I totally had to rely on it to kill everything. There was nowhere that I could rest and replenish my spells, so I had to be stingy with them.

Fortunately, knowing that money no longer matters in the last dungeon made me buy 300 healing charms, the game's equivalent of a potion. That was the best choice I made in the game on my own. Together with the bug that allowed me to use an item in the Inventory without wasting a round, I kept myself at full HP all the time.

Surprisingly, the hardest part of the game was not the last dungeon, but the several parts in the Outlands, which precede the final dungeon. First reason is that right before I entered the portal, I was unable to afford many healing stuff. Second, I needed a lot of healing stuff in the dungeons in the Outlands. Third and final reason is that there were no shops available for a long, long time after a certain part.

In the end, the hero found his mortality, but the ending was not disappointing. It was a very satisfactory ending with the possibility for a sequel, though it's already been 9 years since its release. Sad. A sequel would have been nice.

In summary, great music, unforgettable plot. My theory is that developers these days tend to spend more resources on impressive graphics than on character/plot development. Torment is an example of what RPGs are meant to be. More story!

Time to go on to Baldur's Gate. I had completed the beginning till the part where I finally escaped the prison, before I started on Torment.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us







Something's wrong with my aircon. Every time I turn it on, a sour smell is emitted for a while. Takes about 10mins to dissipate. Smells like old sweat. No idea why, but the smell's not horrible enough to require a repairman. Hopefully it's not because something died in there.




Are South Koreans really xenophobic? It'd make sense that they are, in general, because their gaming scene has no foreigner whatsoever. So far, there has been only 1 American commentator. Not even a player. Racism?

No comments:

Post a Comment